Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 03:05 PM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Have you ever been robbed at gunpoint before? If so, how did you avoid harm?
Not gun point , but I had an altercation in ally pond park which I had posted here a few times ...

He wanted my camera and I wasn’t handing it over.. he kept threatening me with something he had in his pack .

...my wife was screaming for help , as him and I were going back and forth .

No one paid any attention to her screaming and he turned to go after her ...I grabbed a club from the forest floor and ran after him ...he saw me coming with the the club and ran off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 03:07 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Not gun point , but I had an altercation in ally pond park which I had posted here a few times ...

He wanted my camera and I wasn’t handing it over.. he kept threatening me with something he had in his pack .

...my wife was screaming for help , as him and I were going back and forth .

No one paid any attention to her screaming and he turned to go after her ...I grabbed a club from the forest floor and ran after him ...he saw me coming with the the club and ran off
Well I got robbed at gunpoint once when I was a kid and I literally had no time to react. Wonder how many others have been robbed at gunpoint on here. To think that they would be pros at defending themselves with a gun on a daily basis with no prior experience.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-26-2021, 03:11 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Of course, we need to keep NYC/S's strict gun control in place, because it's been so effective in stopping shootings...

https://nypost.com/2021/04/26/nyc-se...ing-incidents/

Old 04-26-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Well I got robbed at gunpoint once when I was a kid and I literally had no time to react. Wonder how many others have been robbed at gunpoint on here. To think that they would be pros at defending themselves with a gun on a daily basis with no prior experience.
If you are aware of your surroundings many times you can spot a problem in advance .

There are great firearms for civilian carry as well that can be at the ready and no one is even aware you have a gun pointed at them .

The smith and Wesson 640 is a great little hammerless snubby ...you can have it in your jacket pocket in a Wallet holster and shoot from your pocket without ever pulling it out ....unlike a semi auto which has a slide that has to cycle and come out in to the open , this small 5 shot revolver can unload 5 rounds without not only coming out of your pocket but not even coming out of the wallet holster...

You can just keep it at the ready on you every easily yet never have to pull it out . No one is ever aware when they confront you that you are armed or ready to fire .

But that won’t help if a group of armed bad guys surround you in your car and car jack you at gun point .

So each situation is played differently and some discretion is the better part of valor

Old 04-26-2021, 03:14 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
I love how people on the left are short circuiting over the thought that something guaranteed in the constitution might actually become "Legal" in NY lmao.

Leftists, watch this short instructional video
https://youtu.be/P4zE0K22zH8
The video is false, very false

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

In the video Penn Jillette says

" the people who wrote this had just fought a war for two years against a tyrannical state militia.” “They knew the time might come when they have to do that again, so they made the possession of weapons a right that the militia could never take away.”

This is what Penn THINKS the 2nd amendment says>>

"The tyranny of a state militia is something that the people must defend themselves against.
For the security of a free state the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

And that is complete misinterpretation

2nd Amendment:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

^^ this does not describe a state militia
It is saying the complete opposite of what Penn says it says.
It says militias (of colonial time period context) formed by the people are good and necessary for the security of the state and that the right of people to bear arms in these militias shall not be infringed.
Militias are described here positively and necessary and not referring to the British army or tyrannical forces, wrong Penn. Even personal gun rights advocates don't interpret the reference here to militias as tyrannical and negative

Last edited by jonbenson; 04-26-2021 at 04:33 PM..

Old 04-26-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
If you are aware of your surroundings many times you can spot a problem in advance .

There are great firearms for civilian carry as well that can be at the ready and no one is even aware you have a gun pointed at them .

The smith and Wesson 640 is a great little hammerless snubby ...you can have it in your jacket pocket in. A. Wallet holster and shoot from your pocket without ever pulling it out ....unlike a semi auto which has a slide that has to cycle , this small 5 shot revolver can unload 5 rounds without not only coming out of your pocket but not even coming out of the wallet holster
Most people are not trying to put a hole in their coat

Old 04-26-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Most people are not trying to put a hole in their coat
It is either a hole in your coat or a hole in your body from a bullet or knife

Old 04-26-2021, 03:23 PM

Most civilians would really have no clue about what to buy and use ..99% of civillians buy semi autos for self defense .

Not only can’t you carry in a pocket and fire multiple times without ever displaying it but semi autos can jam or have safety’s on at the wrong time ..revolvers always go bang and leave no shell casings at the scene ha ha.

These kind of self defense shootings are usually within 6 feet ..these kinds of guns are called belly guns since you are up close and personal with the attacker usually.

Civilian needs are very different than law enforcement.

My pick is the s&p 640 with Corbin p+ in .38 or .38 nyclads In regular loads as p+ can really sting on a snubby .

Notice the hammer is internal so nothing to snag in pockets or on clothing

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-640

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-26-2021 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-26-2021, 03:29 PM

19,026 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Gun debates always go straight to the extreme because that's how gun owners can be easily demonized. I don't bother for the most part any more. A man with an arsenal most US Army platoons would be jealous of has nothing to debate anyway.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-26-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Most civilians would really have no clue about what to buy and use ..99% of civillians buy semi autos for self defense .

Not only can’t you carry in a pocket and fire multiple times without ever displaying it but semi autos can jam or have safety’s on at the wrong time ..revolvers always go bang and leave no shell casings at the scene ha ha.

These kind of self defense shootings are usually within 6 feet ..these kinds of guns are called belly guns since you are up close and personal with the attacker usually.

Civilian needs are very different than law enforcement.

My pick is the s&p 640 with Corbin p+ in .38 or .38 nyclads In regular loads as p+ can really sting on a snubby .

Notice the hammer is internal so nothing to snag in pockets or on clothing

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-640
I did notice that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City