Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 05:18 PM

72 posts, read 23,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Give me the numbers.

What's the percentage of deaths in police custody ( let's assume all deaths are aggravated murders) vs. total police encounters? Is it 1%? 0.001%? 10%? 50%? What's the number?

Some people die in plane crashes / accidents every year. Why do 100s of millions of passengers still fly?
Whoever said that bad policing is limited to deaths ? That is your argument and I will leave you to it. What you seem to be saying is if a cop doesn't kill someone, it's all good. And if he does kill someone it's happens so few times no one can complain with a valid argument. I disagree, I find that logic, illogical. We know that police negative behavior is largely sealed from public records so how can we accurately discuss numbers ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 05:31 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydadwasamarine View Post
Airbourne. You did a job you obviously hated to get a pension and retire young. When I was younger I explored being a cop and declined despite the pension because of the issues effecting cops such as high rates of divorce, substance abuse, and depression. So here we are I am still working but I have a job that that is appreciated, I enjoy, gives me fulfillment. I made the right choice for me. Many young men and women, have to think more then about pensions and retiring early if what they are left with is feeling persecuted and isolated at the end, with widespread disdain for everyone who does not agree 100 percent with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I was only a cop for a little over 18 (years).

Being a cop was awesome right up until Obama's second inauguration. That's when he turned all his political might against the police and the democrat party fell in line behind him. After that, it turned to crap. So yeah, around 2012 I realized that protectionism was going to define the rest of my career.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:31 PM

72 posts, read 23,638 times
I have a suggestion to help the police. If I m too late educate me. Police need social workers, counselors, mental health professionals to help them with some members of the public. I'm sure they have people with credentials who assist them. However, so they have professionals available to respond with officers at crisis situations readily available ? Perhaps police officers can be trained to get masters degrees and doctorates in such fields and get promoted to a position where they can do that for the force. Therefore you will have more opportunities for promotion and hire professionals to do a task they are not trained in to prevent hostility that could otherwise be avoided.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:40 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
I have a suggestion to help the police. If I m too late educate me. Police need social workers, counselors, mental health professionals to help them with some members of the public. I'm sure they have people with credentials who assist them. However, so they have professionals available to respond with officers at crisis situations readily available ? Perhaps police officers can be trained to get masters degrees and doctorates in such fields and get promoted to a position where they can do that for the force. Therefore you will have more opportunities for promotion and hire professionals to do a task they are not trained in to prevent hostility that could otherwise be avoided.
Talk about adding layers of bureaucracy......And masters degrees for LEOs?? Who is going to pay for all of this?? Think a person is going to spend $2-300,000 for an education, so they can risk their lives to work the streets, for $50-60K a year? AND, is there such a thing as a PhD program titled, "Dealing With Deadbeats"?

Old 05-03-2021, 05:08 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,442,838 times
Quote:
This option is not so simple. It looks simple on paper and it has good intentions. But good intentions turn into bad ideas. Why? First off. Masters Degree and PHD level degrees are expensive to obtain. It will cost the city alot of money at the expense of the resident. The only way to do this is to subsidze a masters or a phd degree so that those who graduate with some degrees can work in law enforcement and become employed in areas of hte city that are high crime and black and brown to help reduce mental health issues.

Also go make masters degree and PhD more abound for police. PhD takes a while to obtain. I know of people who spent nearly a while decade trying to obtain PhD and developed mental health problems and even physical health problems like diabetes due to sitting on your butt and research while not bej g physically active. PhD is one of the worst forms of chasing carrot on a stick with the sure promise of getting a 6 figure salary. If you are going to have phds on the field on every block of nyc with the nypd. You better make sure they are being paid well. And again those PhD degrees are expensive unless the city subsidize the PhD for police officers that wants to due crisis response.

Now im going to say this. What happened to George Floyd was horrible. The event divided people and brought people together in collective grief. The event also helped Joe biden become president, and George Floyd death is one of thr greatest social power grabs in America led by blm, activists, academia and journalists. I'm no fan of Chauvin and I'm glad he is going to prison. Policing is not an easy job. The best way to defund the police is via automation and not with masters degree and PhD s.

Last edited by Checkmarkblue; 05-03-2021 at 05:31 AM..

Old 05-03-2021, 09:57 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
..... Now I'm going to say this. What happened to George Floyd was horrible. The event divided people and brought people together in collective grief. The event also helped Joe biden become president, and George Floyd's death is one of the greatest social power grabs in America led by blm, activists, academia and journalists. I'm no fan of Chauvin and I'm glad he is going to prison. Policing is not an easy job. The best way to defund the police is via automation and not with masters degree and PhD s.
Well stated!!

Old 05-03-2021, 10:48 AM

304 posts, read 237,930 times
Funny. Everyone has The Answer yet almost none of you have actually been on the job.

It's no different than sitting on the couch watching the game on a Sunday, yelling at the quarterback. You're morbidly obese, can't walk to the mailbox, and consider Doritos a food group.

Most people have never had to make an objective decision in their entire life. Cops...even lazy cops...do it multiple times an hour.

There are so many variables to this equation that unless you've done the job I suggest you stay on the couch and off the field.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:12 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
Funny. Everyone has The Answer yet almost none of you have actually been on the job.

It's no different than sitting on the couch watching the game on a Sunday, yelling at the quarterback. You're morbidly obese, can't walk to the mailbox, and consider Doritos a food group.

Most people have never had to make an objective decision in their entire life. Cops...even lazy cops...do it multiple times an hour.

There are so many variables to this equation that unless you've done the job I suggest you stay on the couch and off the field.
how would you compare being a cop in NYC over the past 5 years vs being cop in Chicago?

Old 05-03-2021, 12:01 PM

1,261 posts, read 560,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
This option is not so simple. It looks simple on paper and it has good intentions. But good intentions turn into bad ideas. Why? First off. Masters Degree and PHD level degrees are expensive to obtain. It will cost the city alot of money at the expense of the resident. The only way to do this is to subsidze a masters or a phd degree so that those who graduate with some degrees can work in law enforcement and become employed in areas of hte city that are high crime and black and brown to help reduce mental health issues.

Also go make masters degree and PhD more abound for police. PhD takes a while to obtain. I know of people who spent nearly a while decade trying to obtain PhD and developed mental health problems and even physical health problems like diabetes due to sitting on your butt and research while not bej g physically active. PhD is one of the worst forms of chasing carrot on a stick with the sure promise of getting a 6 figure salary. If you are going to have phds on the field on every block of nyc with the nypd. You better make sure they are being paid well. And again those PhD degrees are expensive unless the city subsidize the PhD for police officers that wants to due crisis
Does CUNY offer social work degrees? The only way I could see this working is if the city takes existing cops and sending them to school on the city dime, or taking those who have the degrees and offering some kind of city debt forgiveness program of so much money (public college equivalent) after so many years of service or paid off so much each year.

Either option costs the city money, but could be a work around to not being able to offer actual salary bonuses for people in units designed for this work, and at least gets someone out there with law enforcement training AND POWERS when situations go bad. I would also make sure that these employees do rotations through an employee counseling unit and use those resources for other cops who might need somewhere to turn.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:05 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,105 times
I have the best solution to need less policing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJF-wVW1F2o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City