Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 04:32 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydadwasamarine View Post
No offense I hope a police officer reading this is not influenced by you to believe they are going to be victims if they do what is right. Most cops won't ever get into trouble because they won't do anything bad. So I hope any cop reading this can be assured of that. Most cops will have lots to be proud of and will be respected. Now if you work for the public in a grocery store, bus, hospital,, insurance your going to get yelled at, cursed at, disliked. That's life. Maybe what you want to believe is a cop should be respected without any oversight, that I can't agree with.
See the post above yours. Cops don't do right, they are all liars. The media ensures this is the only voice allowed when speaking about cops. Collecting ones pension in comfort is a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better choice than risking it all daily to help people like furioustyles32.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 04:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
No offense I hope a police officer reading this is not influenced by you to believe they are going to be victims if they do what is right. Most cops won't ever get into trouble because they won't do anything bad. So I hope any cop reading this can be assured of that. Most cops will have lots to be proud of and will be respected. Now if you work for the public in a grocery store, bus, hospital,, insurance your going to get yelled at, cursed at, disliked. That's life. Maybe what you want to believe is a cop should be respected without any oversight, that I can't agree with.
ah see, you did it again! I'm not stupid dude, stop trying to get away with these changes in language.

You turned flying bricks, molotov cocktails and all manner of other WEAPONS into "getting yelled at".

Now I'm done. Enjoy your NBA, another cop hating establishment.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-02-2021, 04:41 PM

72 posts, read 23,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
See the post above yours. Cops don't do right, they are all liars. The media ensures this is the only voice allowed when speaking about cops. Collecting ones pension in comfort is a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better choice than risking it all daily to help people like furioustyles32.
I might agree with you but we have video now. What would change that media narrative is fellow police officers change it. I was going to be a cop when I was in College. I applied and was accepted to the Cadet Corp. Guess what my fiance and my parents told me not to be a cop. I had a bad temper at the time, they told me I would do something wrong I'd I had the authority. I reflected and declined and chose an other path. I like cops it's a hard job. But if they are like you with this " Us against them behavior ' it's no good. Tell people like that to choose an other career.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:45 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I don't buy that. However, if you are going to be a police officer, there are better work environments than NYC, with lower risk.
You want to be a Police Officer but not where it might be dangerous.
Be a Crossing Guard

Old 05-02-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You want to be a Police Officer but not where it might be dangerous.
Be a Crossing Guard
Hey, crossing guards often are injured and killed. Bad and crazy drivers.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:53 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousstyles32 View Post
The difference being when bad people in other professions mess up there is some kind of personal accountability. Whether they are fired or sued or if they did something criminal, they typically face charges and answer for what they've done. That is not the case with cops. Qualified impunity has allowed officers to shoot first and ask questions later. They are rarely fired and almost never face criminal charges for obvious criminal behavior.

You will never hear the true statistics of cops committing murder because of the lies we know police officers tell. How many instances have we seen where the initial report spoke about the officer fearing for his life (so as to justify the kill) yet due to bystander video we know the truth. There is no way to accurately count for cop killers, until there is an independent federal system to investigate EVERY death at the hands of police. If you left it up to each individual police dept you'd never get the full story.
What's the number of people who died in police custody? Let's assume that ALL of them are innocently murders by cops. What percentage is that of ALL police encounters on an annual basis?

There are murderers, rapists, thieves, and criminals of all persuasions who are never caught/held accountable for their crimes. Same goes for employees in other professions.

Furthermore, cops are fired or forced to resign regularly. We just don't hear about it.

I'm no fan or hater of cops but this notion that cops are gunning down innocent people regularly and in large enough numbers for it not to be a statistical anomaly is laughable. Of course very case is tragic for the person killed and their family but it's not a systemic issue.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:54 PM

Airbourne. You did a job you obviously hated to get a pension and retire young. When I was younger I explored being a cop and declined despite the pension because of the issues effecting cops such as high rates of divorce, substance abuse, and depression. So here we are I am still working but I have a job that that is appreciated, I enjoy, gives me fulfillment. I made the right choice for me. Many young men and women, have to think more then about pensions and retiring early if what they are left with is feeling persecuted and isolated at the end, with widespread disdain for everyone who does not agree 100 percent with them.

Last edited by Mydadwasamarine; 05-02-2021 at 05:05 PM..

Old 05-02-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
What's the number of people who died in police custody? Let's assume that ALL of them are innocently murders by cops. What percentage is that of ALL police encounters on an annual basis?

There are murderers, rapists, thieves, and criminals of all persuasions who are never caught/held accountable for their crimes. Same goes for employees in other professions.

Furthermore, cops are fired or forced to resign regularly. We just don't hear about it.

I'm no fan or hater of cops but this notion that cops are gunning down innocent people regularly and in large enough numbers for it not to be a statistical anomaly is laughable. Of course very case is tragic for the person killed and their family but it's not a systemic issue.
As a NYC tax payer are you concerned with the dollar settlements paid out yearly in police settlements ? It's nearly a billion dollars a year. You can find the stories of the people and hear what they have to say. You can sympathize with cops and you can realize that abuses exists. Bad cops who brutalize using their authority exists. Most cops would never do anything bad and If they did won't do it twice. Yet, to act like it crazy exaggeration by agitators is burying your head in the sand.

Last edited by Mydadwasamarine; 05-02-2021 at 05:10 PM..

Old 05-02-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
As a NYC tax payer are you concerned with the dollar settlements paid out yearly in police settlements ? It's nearly a billion dollars a year.
Somewhat? The city pays out for all sorts of dumb ****.

https://comptroller.nyc.gov/reports/...claims-report/

The $1bn figure is not just NYPD settlements. The city (DOE) paid out MORE $306MM) for Special Education claims than for NYPD claims ($205MM).

Also, the city "settles" some claims because it's cheaper to pay the plaintiff off and make them go away. Not necessarily because they couldn't win the case.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
As a NYC tax payer are you concerned with the dollar settlements paid out yearly in police settlements ? It's nearly a billion dollars a year. You can find the stories of the people and hear what they have to say. You can sympathize with cops and you can realize that abuses exists. Bad cops who brutalize using their authority exists. Most cops would never do anything bad and If they did won't do it twice. Yet, to act like it crazy exaggeration by agitators is burying your head in the sand.
Give me the numbers.

What's the percentage of deaths in police custody ( let's assume all deaths are aggravated murders) vs. total police encounters? Is it 1%? 0.001%? 10%? 50%? What's the number?

Some people die in plane crashes / accidents every year. Why do 100s of millions of passengers still fly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City