Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 04:30 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times

Advertisements

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

An extension of the state's ban on residential evictions for tenants who have struggled during the pandemic is set to be extended on Monday as the aftershocks of the crisis continue.

But landlords, especially those who own a modest number of properties, remain restive and are pushing for the release of billions of dollars in federal aid meant to help them.

The ban has been in place first through executive order and later by a state law, and is estimated to have helped 40,000 tenants stay in their homes, said Assemblyman Jeff Dinowitz, a Democrat from the Bronx.

"That suggests tens of thousands of people have been impacted," he said. "We can't let them homeless. It's really that simple."

The legislative action on Monday will help both renters and their landlords as more than $2 billion in federal aid is waiting to be disbursed for property owners who have been affected by the pandemic themselves, he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 06:07 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Have you started so many thread are losing track of what has been done already?

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...um-august.html

In any event unless or until King Cuomo signs off (he has 30 days), nothing will happen just yet.

Moritorim ends 1 May 2021 so time is of the essence. But this is really getting out of hand, how long is this going to go on? People need to get their act together and either pay or get out, instead of dragging this thing out until last minute.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:18 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/new...um-august.html

In any event unless or until King Cuomo signs off (he has 30 days), nothing will happen just yet.

Moritorim ends 1 May 2021 so time is of the essence. But this is really getting out of hand, how long is this going to go on? People need to get their act together and either pay or get out, instead of dragging this thing out until last minute.
I knew I started a thread on this but couldn't find it to tack on this latest development. I thought it was moved or something.

Anyway... I've been feeling for the landlords. Not the big guys (they'll do alright) but the small time landlords. If I were them, this would drive me to drink. They're going to extend this forever. I just feel it.
The courts already overwhelming favor tenants over landlords anyway so... it doesn't look good.

Of course, there are tenants who really can't pay but there are plenty more I'm guessing that are just milking this for all it's worth and taking advantage.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:28 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/new...um-august.html

So you'd rather have thousands of people on the streets, adding to the rampant homeless problem? Is that it? And who do you think will have to pay to house all of those people? It makes sense to keep these people where they are, otherwise, taxpayers will be footing the bill.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:21 AM

16,029 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Excerpt: The ban has been in place first through executive order and later by a state law.

Response: Opinion

This scum responsible for taking advantage of the pandemic will surely be held culpable.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:01 AM

1,034 posts, read 446,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
So you'd rather have thousands of people on the streets, adding to the rampant homeless problem? Is that it? And who do you think will have to pay to house all of those people? It makes sense to keep these people where they are, otherwise, taxpayers will be footing the bill.
We're already paying for it. The LLs (at least the large/official ones) are getting compensated.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:39 AM

295 posts, read 281,530 times
Quote:
But this is really getting out of hand, how long is this going to go on? People need to get their act together and either pay or get out, instead of dragging this thing out until last minute.
If people are gainfully employed or drawing sufficient funds from wherever and not paying any rent, that’s one thing. But we’re more than a year into this thing and between rampant fraud, their crappy online system and even crappier phone system, the DOL’s unemployment insurance system is a total disgrace. It’s the state that needs to get it’s act together and get that squared away before authorizing throwing people out of their homes.

https://www.syracuse.com/business/20...ver-again.html

Old 04-29-2021, 11:58 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,337 times
Quote:
There are plenty of jobs and alot of help available to these renters. If they mad a half assed attempt to communicate, pay, seek out help most landlords would work with them. Most are just riding out this free money at this point.

I have spoken to a number of employers who cant find employees.

It was reported on the news that gas prices will continue to rise because they cant find anyone to drive the oil tankers. This is a job that pays well.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:00 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
There are plenty of jobs and alot of help available to these renters. If they mad a half assed attempt to communicate, pay, seek out help most landlords would work with them. Most are just riding out this free money at this point.

I have spoken to a number of employers who cant find employees.

It was reported on the news that gas prices will continue to rise because they cant find anyone to drive the oil tankers. This is a job that pays well.
Let's be honest here. Most New Yorkers are not like some of us white collar folks here that have seen no loss of income and have generally been working from home since this started. A good chunk of New Yorkers are low income and not exactly highly educated, so they are working service jobs that are very volatile. The idea that people are in such positions to be flocking to different jobs like you suggest is laughable, given that these same people don't have a varied skillset to begin with.

If you've been frequenting the restaurants, which is one industry that was hit hard with layoffs, you know that business is still bad. I stop by some of my spots and that's what I hear when chatting with the workers.
Now the people behind in their rent or whatever, even if they qualify for rent relief, from what I have heard, that money has been slow to reach them, so by the time they get it, they could be evicted already. The reality is, with the Democrats in office, the handouts aren't going away, as much as we hate them, and I don't support throwing more taxpayer dollars at these people that will then be homeless. It'll be cheaper to keep them where they are and see if agreements can be worked out with the landlords.

Furthermore, if you've been following the markets, unemployment is still high, and first time jobless claims are still a problem, though not as bad as in previous months, so this is where we are.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:31 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Let's be honest here. Most New Yorkers are not like some of us white collar folks here that have seen no loss of income and have generally been working from home since this started. A good chunk of New Yorkers are low income and not exactly highly educated, so they are working service jobs that are very volatile. The idea that people are in such positions to be flocking to different jobs like you suggest is laughable, given that these same people don't have a varied skillset to begin with.

If you've been frequenting the restaurants, which is one industry that was hit hard with layoffs, you know that business is still bad. I stop by some of my spots and that's what I hear when chatting with the workers.
Now the people behind in their rent or whatever, even if they qualify for rent relief, from what I have heard, that money has been slow to reach them, so by the time they get it, they could be evicted already. The reality is, with the Democrats in office, the handouts aren't going away, as much as we hate them, and I don't support throwing more taxpayer dollars at these people that will then be homeless. It'll be cheaper to keep them where they are and see if agreements can be worked out with the landlords.

Furthermore, if you've been following the markets, unemployment is still high, and first time jobless claims are still a problem, though not as bad as in previous months, so this is where we are.
First time UI claims are decreased across much of the nation, and that includes NY.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/29/b...nt-claims.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City