Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 05:53 PM

291 posts, read 201,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Definitely not worth it. Once you don't need NYC to make money, it's time to flee.
I'm certainly not moving there to make money. I just work remotely and have always wanted to live there. The biggest holdup for me is the downgrade in lifestyle.

What appeals to me is the food, and more importantly, the types of people that live there. Chicago was full of what seemed like your average Midwesterner who loves sports and who wasn't doing anything interesting with their life except getting a 9-5 and starting a family. The culture was just slow paced and uninteresting.

Having never lived in the east coast, I like the energy of NYC, the possibility to meet so many interesting people, the proximity to other cities, the number of places to visit, and just the melting pot culture down there.

Another holdup is that it just feels too large. It's definitely life changing having lived in Chicago 8 years, and then going to somewhere as large as NYC where I know nobody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 05:56 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
The biggest holdup for me is the downgrade in lifestyle.
What do you mean by "downgrade in lifestyle"?

Old 04-29-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Apartment quality for the price

$2.5k (with utilites/internet) in Chicago would get me a high floor in a highrise with a patio and top of the line appliances

$2.5k (with utilities/internet) in NYC would get me an apartment with a tiny kitchen and a view of an adjacent brick wall, with a higher chance of bugs and thin walls.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:01 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
OP wants the Aston Martin life but has to settle on the Toyota.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
OP wants the Aston Martin life but has to settle on the Toyota.
Bit of an exaggeration, but I'd replace aston martin with lexus if that makes sense

Old 04-29-2021, 06:20 PM

34,015 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
Bit of an exaggeration, but I'd replace aston martin with lexus if that makes sense
Facts

Toyota and Lexus are the best cars out

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-29-2021, 06:29 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Until you have kids NYC is fine

Old 04-29-2021, 06:56 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
That's why people live in affordable apartments in Staten Island and always have. When I was a kid in the 1950's, Paul Newman lived in our building at 30 Daniel Low Terrace in St. George Staten Island. I lived in Brooklyn and Staten Island for 36 years before I retired. Had a great job and raised three kids with my wife there. My son lived in Staten Island and commuted to and graduated from Hunter College, one of the colleges of the City University of New York. It never even crossed my mind to live in Manhattan. My wife and I were both born in Brooklyn, and my son still lives there.

NYC includes all five boroughs. Almost everyone I knew and worked with lived in the outer boroughs. NYC was a great place to work and live. The main reason we left after I retired is we could live cheaper in NJ as retirees. Selling our house in Staten Island let us get a nicer, newer house with more property and privacy and quiet. As much as I enjoyed all the great ethnic restaurants and entertainment, and the pure rush of all the people, great places to walk and the beauty of the harbor and buildings in Manhattan and Brooklyn, I have only been back a few times since we retired and relocated to southern NJ 13 years ago. Been there, did that. That said, I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world.

Last edited by bobspez; 04-29-2021 at 07:12 PM..

Old 04-29-2021, 08:17 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Excerpt: Do you feel that the perks of living in NYC outweigh the reduced quality of life?

Response: Opinion
Born,Raised and Retired New Yorker. Probably living in this city than most posters.
Airborne nailed it. Once you don't need the money it's time to hike it.
The lure of New York is now all but dead and gone.
You can thank the two clowns in office.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:23 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
Yes, it's the only place I can stay indoors for weeks if I have to and not feel depressed. The view outside my window and all the services and restaurants available to me makes it worth while. Oh, and the diversity and generally open-mindedness of the city is priceless, "anything goes" (e.g. underwear guitar guy). Once people start flooding the streets again all the crazy homeless and savages will start to hide again hopefully which are are basically the only factors for lower QoL for me. But the positives still outweigh the negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City