Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 07:57 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times

Advertisements

Excerpt: 8 black students, 20 Latino students got offered admission to Stuyvesant

Response: Opinion

As long as nobody stopped any kid from taking the entrance exam I say fine.
To get into this school it's what's between the ears that counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 08:01 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,234,951 times
the amazing thing is there are people who have a problem with this

Old 04-29-2021, 08:16 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
Not surprised.

For example, an interesting look at world wide Chemistry Olympiad Teams,
https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/e...l/usteams.html

Recently every team from every country around the world (US, Europe, Russia, Asia) has one or all Asian, Chinese specifically.

USA+International Mathematical Olympiad: https://www.imo-official.org/country....aspx?code=USA
Almost all golds and entire stage are Chinese as well

Mostly the same for other sciences like Physics.

That's pretty crazy actually.

I guess we need to change how Olympiad teams choose their team members (sarcasm)

Old 04-29-2021, 08:41 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,600,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
493 spots went to Asian
152 to white
8 to Black
20 to Latino

Total 749 spots
Perhaps we can turn this into a positive. Pounder how are Asian children being raised that they are able to score so well and get into a good school. What are white, Black and Latino children missing? And how can they step up their game to get more spots in the future.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:56 PM

644 posts, read 306,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
As long as nobody stopped any kid from taking the entrance exam I say fine.
To get into this school it's what's between the ears that counts.
Oh, I think DOE has been doing their best to stop poor kids from taking the exam for ages. You go to a crummy failing school for years, by the time you get to eighth grade good luck being ready for that exam. I know it's also the kids that make the school sink or swim, but it's complicated. I've seen schools where all you have to do is show up, and you'll do well, and others where you can ask the teacher for extra work and literally get a book thrown at you, with a snide "Can you read that? You can't read that! You're getting a little full of yourself!"

Old 04-29-2021, 09:32 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,234,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
Oh, I think DOE has been doing their best to stop poor kids from taking the exam for ages. You go to a crummy failing school for years, by the time you get to eighth grade good luck being ready for that exam. I know it's also the kids that make the school sink or swim, but it's complicated. I've seen schools where all you have to do is show up, and you'll do well, and others where you can ask the teacher for extra work and literally get a book thrown at you, with a snide "Can you read that? You can't read that! You're getting a little full of yourself!"
So explain how these broke asian kids do so well

If people see these numbers and think anything but those black and hispanic kids need much better parenting they're insane.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:33 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
The problem is Stuyvesant should be
95% black and Latino to make the current world happy

And they will get it! Therefore destroying the last few free schools!
Don't worry about it New York's Schools are the most segregated in America.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
So explain how these broke asian kids do so well

If people see these numbers and think anything but those black and hispanic kids need much better parenting they're insane.
Yes, parenting. But also, like I say, the schools. They don't tend to live in the neighborhoods with the really crummy schools, do they... I guess it's a chicken and egg thing, but the school I went to, you could have the best parenting and still learn zero zip nada because there's only so much the parents can make up for at the middle school level.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:28 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
Yes, parenting. But also, like I say, the schools. They don't tend to live in the neighborhoods with the really crummy schools, do they... I guess it's a chicken and egg thing, but the school I went to, you could have the best parenting and still learn zero zip nada because there's only so much the parents can make up for at the middle school level.
So you're saying that schools in Asian neighborhoods aren't crummy. And how did that happen?

Old 04-29-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
So you're saying that schools in Asian neighborhoods aren't crummy. And how did that happen?
Definitely a chicken and egg situation, I'm sure the kids and involved parents have a lot to do with it. But also, I know what I saw in school. A lot of teachers didn't even try to teach. Like, for real, not teaching. Giving sixth graders one-paragraph essays in ELA and pictures to draw in math class. Can't blame that one on the students. And yes, my mom really got that book thrown at her by a teacher when she asked if the teacher can recommend some summer reading for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City