Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 05:20 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The system, through segregation, puts kids in an environment that is far from a mansion, and then blames that placement solely on the community.

In addition to the drummer I played with who went to Gershwin, the school with no music, my own neighborhood saw the systematic brain-draining of a neighborhood middle school, where all of the smart kids were bused crosstown. Years later, the school, as the neighborhood knew it, closed down. Is that all the neighborhood's fault, as well...?
It seems like what you are saying is contradictory. You start with "The system, through segregation"
Then you go on to say "all of the smart kids were bused crosstown."
The smart kids being bused seems to be the opposite of segregation but you are saying that is negative also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 06:01 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
It seems like what you are saying is contradictory. You start with "The system, through segregation"
Then you go on to say "all of the smart kids were bused crosstown."
The smart kids being bused seems to be the opposite of segregation but you are saying that is negative also
Segregation, and yes, desegregation was a two-way systematic dismantling of neighborhood schools. We didn't realize it, at the time. But that was real! I didn't get into the so-called community boards, that were riddled with corruption. I say so-called because those boards were anything but community! I'm old enough to have seen every solution become another (bleeped) up problem. So, if folk really want to know the roots of why schools are bad, and therefore, kids can't qualify for the specialized high schools, it isn't "just parents!"

Old 05-01-2021, 06:33 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Segregation, and yes, desegregation was a two-way systematic dismantling of neighborhood schools. We didn't realize it, at the time. But that was real! I didn't get into the so-called community boards, that were riddled with corruption. I say so-called because those boards were anything but community! I'm old enough to have seen every solution become another (bleeped) up problem. So, if folk really want to know the roots of why schools are bad, and therefore, kids can't qualify for the specialized high schools, it isn't "just parents!"
what do you think of desegregation on a housing level?

Old 05-01-2021, 07:03 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Some years ago, I played for a church with a music director and his adopted son, who played drums. He was 13, at the time. The son attended George Gershwin Middle School, in East New York, which had no music program!

That's right! A school named after one of the forefathers of American Standards; situated in the middle of East New York, with no type of music program! Folk can talk, all they want, about lack of parental dedication. But the fact of the matter is this: Black and Latino children in this city are in segregated, substandard neighborhoods, and, therefore, relegated to substandard schools! Multiple studies have confirmed this! I have no problem with the success of Asians in the New York City public school system. But I will not sit here and allow people to use the success of another group, along with the argument of "personal responsibility," as an example to let decades-long systematic problems off of the hook! How are folk going to pass the Stuyvesant test, or Music and Art audition, if they are going to well-proven horrible elementary or middle schools?
George Gershwin JHS didn't start out that way. At one time, It was a very good Junior High School with, for the time, a decent music program. It was more academic than artsy like High School of Music and Art or High School of the Performing Arts, despite the name. The student body changed. East New York changed.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:06 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
It's OK. You don't have to come up with non-sensical analogies to explain poor personal behavior/culture.

White trash doesn't value education. Hasidic Jews don't value (secular) education either. You won't see me excusing their behavior.
I recommend sociology 101 for you. Success lives on multiple organizational levels of human groupings and individuality and vice versa.

Your narrow minded minimalist conjecture could very likely come from someone who would do very well on a Stuyvesant entrance exam. Go figure..

Old 05-01-2021, 09:02 PM

Also, if it’s all about culture, then why didn’t the massive countries from which these phenoms originate their heredity not rule the world since time immemorial.

The most academically aggressive Asians, poor or rich come here. Their a socioeconomic subgroup from a huge pool of people. Easy to do with overpopulation, ships and planes.

The Confucian ideology found in Asia is not exactly desirable to the rest of the world in this age and time. Pragmatic Capitalists love it though. “Follow the leader”..

Old 05-01-2021, 10:01 PM

1,034 posts, read 445,679 times
Quote:
The system, through segregation, puts kids in an environment that is far from a mansion, and then blames that placement solely on the community.

In addition to the drummer I played with who went to Gershwin, the school with no music, my own neighborhood saw the systematic brain-draining of a neighborhood middle school, where all of the smart kids were bused crosstown. Years later, the school, as the neighborhood knew it, closed down. Is that all the neighborhood's fault, as well...?
First off, segregation, in and of itself is neither good nor bad.

I'm Jewish. I immigrated from the Soviet Union. Jews have been forcefully segregated and self segregating for literally thousands of years.

A child's education, in the US that we currently live in, is ALL on the parents. I'm sorry to tell you but that's just the truth. Even the poor have access to a MYRIAD of options nowadays.

Everything else is an EXCUSE. We're not talking about raising geniuses here. That's usually down to the luck of genetics.

By the time many of these kids reach the 3rd grade they are so far behind developmentally that getting on "grade level" requires a herculean effort by society and the school system. Is society responsible for such poor parenting?

There are numerous studies that have proven that parenting during infancy impacts a child's future learning ability.

White trash kids don't tend to do well in school either. Is that society's fault too?

Last edited by Bklynball; 05-01-2021 at 10:17 PM..

Old 05-01-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Also, if it’s all about culture, then why didn’t the massive countries from which these phenoms originate their heredity not rule the world since time immemorial.

The most academically aggressive Asians, poor or rich come here. Their a socioeconomic subgroup from a huge pool of people. Easy to do with overpopulation, ships and planes.

The Confucian ideology found in Asia is not exactly desirable to the rest of the world in this age and time. Pragmatic Capitalists love it though. “Follow the leader”..
Do you realize how ridiculously competitive the Chinese (and Korean) education systems are. Especially when you consider the sheer amount of individuals vying for limited spots?

The Chinese that tend to immigrate are the ones who don't have it good in China. Even with China's economic rise over the last 40 years there are still plenty of poor people just due to their sheer population size. China's middle class is larger than our entire population. There's money to be made in China. The ones who come here tend to be the ones from the lower economic rungs of society.
Rich Chinese aren't running to immigrate to the US unless they're fearing retribution from the CCP.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Do you realize how ridiculously competitive the Chinese (and Korean) education systems are. Especially when you consider the sheer amount of individuals vying for limited spots?

The Chinese that tend to immigrate are the ones who don't have it good in China. Even with China's economic rise over the last 40 years there are still plenty of poor people just due to their sheer population size. China's middle class is larger than our entire population. There's money to be made in China. The ones who come here tend to be the ones from the lower economic rungs of society.
Rich Chinese aren't running to immigrate to the US unless they're fearing retribution from the CCP.
What? No their not. I’ve seen to lower rungs first hand and their not here.

Have you any clue the numbers of wealthy Asians who spend tons of money to have their kids educated here from as early an age as possible? Go to North Bergen, LI north shore, towns around Princeton, San Gabriel Valley, Bay Area, and yes NYC etc etc.. They buy houses cash. Your off by a mile..No BS;

Old 05-01-2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
What? No their not. I’ve seen to lower rungs first hand and their not here.

Have you any clue the numbers of wealthy Asians who spend tons of money to have their kids educated here from as early an age as possible? Go to North Bergen, LI north shore, towns around Princeton, San Gabriel Valley, Bay Area, and yes NYC etc etc.. They buy houses cash. Your off by a mile..No BS;
The vast majority of chinese immigrants to NYC are not wealthy. Go to Manhattans Chinatown (the poorest of the 3 now), Flushing, Sunset Park, and Bensonhurst. Most of them came with virtually nothing.

Wealthy Chinese do send their kids to universities in the US but we're not talking about post secondary education here. That's an entirely different topic and has its own nuances. All I can say is that if their kids could get into China's top UNIs (aka a handful for a country of 1.4 billion) they wouldn't be here unless they made it into a US Ivy.

Furthermore, you're mistaking "wealthy Asians" for corporate workers who come to work at the US HQ of (mainly) Japanese and Korean multi-nationals. These aren't the Chinese of NYC. BTW, if they're high ranking enough, (which many are) the company pays for their housing (aka buys the house with corporate cash). Many come for 2-3 year stints depending on their assignment.

P.s. I regularly work with some of these people as the company I work for does business with more than a few Japanese multi-nationals.

Furthermore, many Koreans and Japanese in NJ, LI, CA are professionals with PhDs in well paying careers. They're not "loaded" but they make very good money. As in household incomes of $400K+. Again, these are far from the immigrant Chinese of NYC and far fewer in numbers.

Don't speak about something you know nothing about.

Last edited by Bklynball; 05-01-2021 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City