Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 08:05 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerSV View Post
Flushing has a very large Chinese community. Surrounding area also has decent Chinese representation (e.g. Elmhurst, Regopark, Bayside, etc.).

Did you READ the thread title? Moving OUT OF NYC?

Old 05-07-2021, 08:30 AM

19 posts, read 17,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Did you READ the thread title? Moving OUT OF NYC?
Wow... I guess I did not. I misread it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 08:41 AM

114 posts, read 54,568 times
It is not possible to find a neighborhood within that price range that has a concentration of chinese. The best bet is somewhere in long island that has within one hour drive to Flushing, so OP can drive to Flushing's many chinese supermarkets and stores once per week

Old 05-07-2021, 08:57 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseben1979 View Post
It is not possible to find a neighborhood within that price range that has a concentration of chinese. The best bet is somewhere in long island that has within one hour drive to Flushing, so OP can drive to Flushing's many chinese supermarkets and stores once per week
Not possible in that price range, Homes in Commack are selling over 500k at this point. Going to have to be a non desirable area for 500k max. Just saw a 1800 sq ft home on nassau/suffolk border in a town with a decent Asian presence go off market for 770k in a week.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:02 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeryman View Post
This question have been asked quite many times but I still haven’t really found the right place.

My wife and I want to settle down and get a house before our kids start school in a year. She is Chinese and her mother would love to go somewhere with a descent amount of Chinese people since she doesn’t speak English and would love to have Chinese supermarket and stores around.

Our budgets max for house is around 500k if possible. Preferably still close to nyc since our family and friends are mainly here. We have looked in PA but wasn’t sure where exactly.

Mainly looking for, cheaper houses, descent school, Chinese community, and family friendly/safe.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Singapore?

Old 05-07-2021, 09:21 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Maybe Ithica, 229 miles from NYC, less crime , 17% Asian (5,305 )
Median home price $388,640

Old 05-07-2021, 09:34 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
If you don't mind other parts of Upstate NY, OP; I'd also say to look into parts of Amherst outside of Buffalo, Vestal outside of Binghamton, Niskayuna outside of Schenectady, Menands north of Albany, Brighton and Henrietta just south of Rochester, New Hartford outside of Utica and DeWitt and Manlius east of Syracuse for some places with a visible Chinese population. All have good schools, by the way.

A tip for a search Upstate is to look for a college/university presence nearby, whether it is for the city or suburbs. That can tip you off as to if there is a substantial Asian community in/around that area. The same or similarly it works for a couple of other groups up here as well(for those looking for an area with a relatively substantial black middle class and Jewish population, among maybe a couple of others).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City