Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 10:18 PM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
People can dress up as naked cowboy in the middle of time square in the winter.If they want to wear mask in the shower it doesnt bother me. Asian people routinely wore masks prior to COVID. I used to see them walking around in Flushing in masks outside and inside. So I don't know why Americans act like wearing a mask is an act of treason. Most adults do not practice good hygiene. I haven't been sick once since the start of the pandemic.

I will adopt wearing masks on trains and planes so those little germs ridden folks wont give me their cooties.
Most infections are not spread due to air as your post presumes, but due to filthy hands. Can't find the source but I read a study a while back showing that if 99% of people WASHED (not sanitized) their hands after doing #2 and before eating, all fecal-oral infections would cease to exist. Imagine that!

So better to divert your mask theater to washing your hands religiously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 10:19 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Nerd View Post
AGAIN:

Brief encounters with an unmasked person passing you on the sidewalk or a hiking trail are very low risk, said Linsey Marr, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech and one of the world’s leading experts on viral transmission. Viral particles quickly disperse in outdoor air, and the risk of inhaling aerosolized virus from a jogger or passers-by is negligible, she said. Even if a person coughs or sneezes outside as you walk by, the odds of you getting a large enough dose of virus to become infected remain low, she said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/22/w...-outdoors.html

When this all started they said you couldn't get COVID twice. You couldn't catch COVID after being vaccinated. They said we only had to worry about COVID from a specific part of CHINA. 20 people could congregate to no one could congregate. I can tell you that most of the things we are told are speculation.

We are flying by the seat of our pants at this point.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:21 PM

8,479 posts, read 4,724,709 times
NYC kinda makes sense because you can’t really socially distance outside, and especially in Manhattan you don’t get the UV power all the time to neutralize the virus. Plus, and I don’t know what the lifestyle in NYC is, but it may not be worth it to take down the mask if you’re a few steps from the next place you’re going. I personally don’t find masks to be thy burdensome, and I’ve found myself forgetting to unmask outside many a time.

Comparing almost any place to NYC is almost always folly. Of course masking is going to be less of a thing in a less dense area. That should go without saying.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Most infections are not spread due to air as your post presumes, but due to filthy hands. Can't find the source but I read a study a while back showing that if 99% of people WASHED (not sanitized) their hands after doing #2 and before eating, all fecal-oral infections would cease to exist. Imagine that!

So better to divert your mask theater to washing your hands religiously.

If I had a dollar for every gremlin who coughed and sneezed without covering their nose and mouth. Americans are very uncouth and inconsiderate in that regards. So let these people wear what they like and do as they please. All the problems we are facing it is beyond me why people are so pressed about people wearing masks.

One of my coworker used to be so anti mask until his ass caught COVID. Now he wears two and stands 10 feet apart. During the heigh of the pandemic they used to be playing board games at break time with no masks. That is how anti mask they were.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:26 PM

In outer borough Queens I'd say less than half of people outside mask up. Many now look on the outdoor mask wearers as if they are lunatics, and thankfully so - it's Manhattan or the woke side of Brooklyn.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
If I had a dollar for every gremlin who coughed and sneezed without covering their nose and mouth. Americans are very uncouth and inconsiderate in that regards. So let these people wear what they like and do as they please. All the problems we are facing it is beyond me why people are so pressed about people wearing masks.

One of my coworker used to be so anti sk until his ass caught COVID. Now he wears two and stands 10 feet apart. During the heigh of the pandemic they used to be playing board games at break time with no masks. That is how anti mask they were.
Again, flimsy cloth masks are more of a symbol to make people feel better. They do not stop you from inhaling tiny viruses. If you really care about not catching someone else's viral particles I suggest you invest in some good N95s from 3M

Old 05-06-2021, 10:31 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
I live in NY suburb and most are wearing masks outside, since the vaccinations it seems there is a little less mask wearing. I'm not vaccinated and will continue to wear a KN95 mask outside in case an unmasked vaccinated or unvaccinated person approaches me for directions or whatever. I'm not anti-vax, but the idea of the fake protein decoy going into my system and possibly causing long term damage keeps me sitting on the fence, waiting for something better. People are forgetting the flu shot is suspected of causing Guillain Barre , a condition causing paralysis, my friend has suffered from that most of her life.
Additionally, I read research that an adenovirus shot like the J&J did invade a dog's DNA during experiments years ago, so how do we know it won't happen to us?

Old 05-06-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I live in NY suburb and most are wearing masks outside, since the vaccinations it seems there is a little less mask wearing. I'm not vaccinated and will continue to wear a KN95 mask outside in case an unmasked vaccinated or unvaccinated person approaches me for directions or whatever. I'm not anti-vax, but the idea of the fake protein decoy going into my system and possibly causing long term damage keeps me sitting on the fence, waiting for something better. People are forgetting the flu shot is suspected of causing Guillain Barre , a condition causing paralysis, my friend has suffered from that most of her life.
Additionally, I read research that an adenovirus shot like the J&J did invade a dog's DNA during experiments years ago, so how do we know it won't happen to us?
Lol so you don't trust perfectly safe and effective vaccines but you'd rather just suffocate in a mask outside (where you're almost 100% safe from any virus)? Wow, I've seen some crazy answers but this just takes the prize.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:39 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Quote:
When this all started they said you couldn't get COVID twice. You couldn't catch COVID after being vaccinated. They said we only had to worry about COVID from a specific part of CHINA. 20 people could congregate to no one could congregate. I can tell you that most of the things we are told are speculation.

We are flying by the seat of our pants at this point.
I understand your frustration which you share with many others but you need to realize this is new for the experts just the same. As this develops I can assure you that the professionals are monitoring what needs to be done to maintain a safe environment. Nobody is going to "nail" this thing. We get better at understanding it as time goes on.

Show some patience and respect for the health professionals.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Again, flimsy cloth masks are more of a symbol to make people feel better. They do not stop you from inhaling tiny viruses. If you really care about not catching someone else's viral particles I suggest you invest in some good N95s from 3M

what makes you think I am wearing cloth masks or even masks outside? I do wear N95 masks or the blue ones so that I can dispose of them after wearing. We lost a few co-workers so we are provided masks liberally and it is mandated that we wear N95 masks at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City