Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 09:36 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

I just looked this up and found that the Staten Island Yankees were no more and that was announced on November 7th, 2020. Did someone already make a thread on this?

I've never been to a SI Yankees game though do enjoy a Brooklyn Cyclones game. Supposedly another team from the Atlantic League will be playing at Richmond County Bank Ballpark, but I haven't heard any announcements. Has anyone heard anything about what that team will be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 10:27 AM

91 posts, read 72,453 times
The Pizza rats are done. No news yet with the Atlantic League.

I never been to a Brooklyn cyclones game but did see Daft Punk perform there on a random week night.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:21 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,710 times
The Staten Island Yankees had an up and down run on Staten Island. They were popular at first but Staten Islanders lost interest after a few years. I don't think an Atlantic League team will do any better. A Staten Islander will go out to Queens or the Bronx, even with the long ride, to see a real baseball game. I had my doubts about the success of the SI Yankees from the beginning.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
The Staten Island Yankees had an up and down run on Staten Island. They were popular at first but Staten Islanders lost interest after a few years. I don't think an Atlantic League team will do any better. A Staten Islander will go out to Queens or the Bronx, even with the long ride, to see a real baseball game. I had my doubts about the success of the SI Yankees from the beginning.

I wonder why the comparatively different fate for the Cyclones. Certainly the Mets aren't a more popular team than the Yankees, so is it just that there's more transit options to the Cyclones game? That there are other attractions to the region? I also wonder if it had to do with a more distinctive identity of not just being called something like the Brooklyn Mets.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:55 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wonder why the comparatively different fate for the Cyclones. Certainly the Mets aren't a more popular team than the Yankees, so is it just that there's more transit options to the Cyclones game? That there are other attractions to the region? I also wonder if it had to do with a more distinctive identity of not just being called something like the Brooklyn Mets.

Brooklyn has 5.4x the population of Staten Island to start with. Brooklynites are more willing to take mass transit to a game than are Staten Islanders. The SI Railway built a station for the stadium but service was discontinued after only a few years due to low ridership. Staten Islanders prefer to drive everywhere. Parking around the SI Yankees stadium was always a problem and the St. George neighborhood is not in a very safe area.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:34 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Hockey would do better for SI

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-07-2021, 01:19 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Brooklyn has 5.4x the population of Staten Island to start with. Brooklynites are more willing to take mass transit to a game than are Staten Islanders. The SI Railway built a station for the stadium but service was discontinued after only a few years due to low ridership. Staten Islanders prefer to drive everywhere. Parking around the SI Yankees stadium was always a problem and the St. George neighborhood is not in a very safe area.
This.

Three of my sisters and one of my brothers worked at the park at various times for long periods. My sister was a supervisor there until the end. They worked for the contracted food service company which was losing money so badly that they willingly reneged on the contract before last season.

Parking and the fact that the main fan base was always south shore people who are reluctant to travel to the north shore did them in. Every attraction they try on the north shore will fail for that reason. The money is not there and the crime is. Not enough people from the south shore bring their families to north shore events to spend money at the level necessary to keep attractions afloat.

It's a shame, but it is what it is. I've been to over 100 games there easily, going back to the first season. I have one of their professional-style jerseys even. We tried really hard to support them but watched attendance fall off heavily over the years.

One more factor: lack of support from the big team. That was always a complaint that went around. I've heard that the Mets support the Cyclones far more than the Yankees supported the SI Yanks.

Cyclones stadium (been there a lot as well) is good but the SI Yanks view is million dollar level. Shame it failed.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-07-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:

I can definitely see the numbers game greatly working in Brooklyn's favor. The neighborhood the Cyclones are in is no great shakes, but even if a minor league game isn't a huge draw, there being four different transit lines to get a little bit of someone here and there probably adds up as does the prospect of other things to do in the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This.

Three of my sisters and one of my brothers worked at the park at various times for long periods. My sister was a supervisor there until the end. They worked for the contracted food service company which was losing money so badly that they willingly reneged on the contract before last season.

Parking and the fact that the main fan base was always south shore people who are reluctant to travel to the north shore did them in. Every attraction they try on the north shore will fail for that reason. The money is not there and the crime is. Not enough people from the south shore bring their families to north shore events to spend money at the level necessary to keep attractions afloat.

It's a shame, but it is what it is. I've been to over 100 games there easily, going back to the first season. I have one of their professional-style jerseys even. We tried really hard to support them but watched attendance fall off heavily over the years.

One more factor: lack of support from the big team. That was always a complaint that went around. I've heard that the Mets support the Cyclones far more than the Yankees supported the SI Yanks.

Cyclones stadium (been there a lot as well) is good but the SI Yanks view is million dollar level. Shame it failed.

Yea, that view is fantastic in pictures; going to guess it's pretty great in person. I've been to the waterfront, but I think it probably feels different in the context of the stadium and being seated there with it for hours. I'm not a Yankees fan, but in the back of my head I was thinking I'd go to a Cyclones-Yankees game at some point--apparently I thought wrong. Do you know any details or grumblings about what it was about the big team not supporting the SI Yanks and how that differed from what the Mets did with the Cyclones?

I do wonder if the twin prospects of Empire Outlets actually getting to a full-ish opening and the expansion of the NYC ferry network to include a Midtown West-Battery Park City-St. George route later this year (eh, is that still happening?) would at all change the prospects for a new team playing there. It's too bad transit services aren't more cooperative in the area, as I'd think maybe an extension of that (purported) line to the Weehawken or Edgewater terminal would be pretty useful and would cast a wider net of people potentially going to a game there.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-07-2021 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-07-2021, 02:40 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
I don't have any further inside info, it's just what my family members always said. Mostly general comments about how the Yankees never really supported them beyond sending a player every so often to sign autographs and such and one time displaying a world series trophy.

Staten Island just isn't public transportation centric. It has been neglected for so long that people just don't think PT when planning excursions on the scale that would support such a large venue that's mostly accessible by transit.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-08-2021, 02:26 AM

2,450 posts, read 973,292 times
Oddo said they may turn it into an amphitheater. I saw the Killers perform there years ago. IMO that's the best use for it. Parking would still be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: