Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 06:07 AM

717 posts, read 452,994 times

Advertisements

Can you find me any city in the world on Wikipedia more densely packed than 69,000/sq mile ?

Seoul South Korea shows 42,000 per sq mile which is more than the other boroughs except Manhattan

Tokyo population density is equal to Brooklyn

Even Hong Kong and Calcutta aren’t as a whole as densely packed as Manhattan?

Find me a Wikipedia location more densely packed with people than Manhattan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 06:17 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Population density is only relative to the size of the city. Look at Paris. One could argue that it's more dense than NYC. Are we to disregard smaller cities simply because they don't have the population of NYC/other world cities?

Old 05-10-2021, 06:54 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
Can you find me any city in the world on Wikipedia more densely packed than 69,000/sq mile ?

Seoul South Korea shows 42,000 per sq mile which is more than the other boroughs except Manhattan

I'm sure you can find parts of cities that are as densely packed as Manhattan, just like Manhattan serves as a part of a city that meets this definition.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:06 AM

967 posts, read 725,488 times
Kowloon in Hong Kong appears to have a density of ~123,700 ppsm (density of 47,748 per square km). It's population of over 2.2M also makes it more populous than Manhattan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distri...%20By%2Dcensus.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:40 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:

I think Manila is officially the most densely populated city in the world with well over 100,000( maybe 125,000)/sq mile. Other Philippine cities are also up there near 100,000/sq mile. Mumbai,India and Baghdad,Iraq are also way up there.

And you can't cherry pick the most dense area of a city and then compare it to other entire cities because if the entire city of Manilla has 100,000/sq mile there are probably sections of Manila that are much,much higher in density. Same for many other cities.

So, I don't think Manhattan density sets any record except for the U.S. There are probably dozens of sections cities around the world with much higher density than Manhattan.

And Guttenberg,New Jersey ( not NYC or Chicago or L.A ) s the most densely populated city in the U.S.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
I think at least two cities in NJ beat that density: West New York, and Union City.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:40 AM

The other ones you mentioned are not showing more than 69,000 people per sq mile . Kowloon Hong Kong Is though

But Kowloon was never a single incorporated city

Historically, Manhattan once was a separate city from Brooklyn until they were merged together 150 years ago I think it was

Old 05-10-2021, 09:42 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think Manila is officially the most densely populated city in the world with well over 100,000( maybe 125,000)/sq mile. Other Philippine cities are also up there near 100,000/sq mile. Mumbai,India and Baghdad,Iraq are also way up there.

And you can't cherry pick the most dense area of a city and then compare it to other entire cities because if the entire city of Manilla has 100,000/sq mile there are probably sections of Manila that are much,much higher in density. Same for many other cities.

So, I don't think Manhattan density sets any record except for the U.S. There are probably dozens of sections cities around the world with much higher density than Manhattan.

And Guttenberg,New Jersey ( not NYC or Chicago or L.A ) s the most densely populated city in the U.S.
You are a testament to NYC teachers

Guttenberg, NJ is the most densely populated city in the United States. Majority of the population of Guttenberg lives in the Galaxy Towers on Boulevard East. Otherwise its a very small city, its like 10 blocks by 4 blocks.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-10-2021, 09:44 AM

It’s fun to imagine if the entire US population were condensed into a square of land as densely populated as Manhattan it would fit everyone inside a square of 70 miles long and 70 miles wide which would be like half of only the state of Connecticut plus NYC containing all of the USA ... so the rest of the land of America could be completely reforested.

Now if we wanted to contain the entire world’s population we would need a space roughly 320 miles by 320 miles and that would be most of the Northeast from NYC up to the Canadian border, containing all of New England. Majority of Up state NY, and majority of Pennsylvania... all filled with a population density of Manhattan without fail. You can fit the whole human population of the world into the Northeast USA crammed over the Adirondacks, Allegheny, finger lake, Berkshires, conjoined with Boston

The Chinatown section of this square would be a massive chunk of that endless square of never ending streets and avenues

Last edited by Siberiaboy; 05-10-2021 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-10-2021, 09:46 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
It’s fun to imagine if the entire US population were condensed into a square of land as densely populated as Manhattan it would fit everyone inside a square of 70 miles long and 70 miles wide which would be like half of only the state of Connecticut plus NYC containing all of the USA ... so the rest of the land of America could be completely reforested
That will not work in our capitalist society

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City