Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 02:18 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
There is plenty of space in upstate NY, away from homes and schools. Build facilities and then stick all the crazies there, there is no hope for them. Get funding for this from Biden, como knows how to do that well. Call it the Cuomo Resort.
I'm fine with them staying at Rikers. You don't wanna live there, then don't commit crimes. Pretty simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 03:21 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Please quote the whole sentence. And keep the thread on topic. Thanks.
As I suspected you don't give a daman about homeless and people barely affording rent, that was just a rhetorical device

Old 05-11-2021, 03:32 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
As I suspected you don't give a daman about homeless and people barely affording rent, that was just a rhetorical device
Did your mama drop you on your head too many times as a child. The point is criminals get better living conditions then those not committing crimes.
Oh and btw I actually have worked and volunteered with the homeless and those down on their luck. How about you? What do you do for them?

Old 05-11-2021, 05:06 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Oh and btw I actually have worked and volunteered with the homeless and those down on their luck.
Hey! So, have I. Partnership for the Homeless. Good people.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:06 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
The point is criminals get better living conditions then those not committing crimes.
which prison are you referring to ?
Clinton Correctional, Fishkill, Green Haven ?

Old 12-30-2021, 02:39 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
https://www.brooklynpaper.com/teams-...-jails-rikers/

Six teams of development and construction companies have been selected to bid to develop the four borough-based jails planned to replace the infamous and inhumane Rikers Island, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Wednesday.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:10 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Hopefully Adams squashes this plan, though I'm not confident that he will.

Building jails closer to communities where people will live does nothing more than give comfort to criminals and their families, which one can argue has societal benefit. But the societal downside of having jails within communities--and all of the extra crap that will bring--doesn't make it worthwhile IMO. Keep Rikers, in all of its relative isolation, open.

I'm all about increasing programs and the such to help ease people's transition back into society. But that can be done at the jail site for those who are willing to take advantage of it. We need to stop coddling these criminals.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:50 PM

593 posts, read 470,165 times
Why is the physical location of the jail so important? All I care about is that the accused be treated fairly and that the victims receive justice. If Rikers is an abusive/inhumane prison, then the solution is to fire and punish the administrators involved in the abuse and to establish a more humane prison that respects the rights of the accused and protects their physical safety.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:10 PM

621 posts, read 240,276 times
I believe I read that the incoming Corrections Commissioner stated that Rikers should not be disregarded in favor of borough-based facilities b/c of the perceived administrative headache in managing multiple locations. I agree. Fix Rikers and keep people awaiting trial and sentencing in one place.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:49 PM

59 posts, read 29,489 times
All boroughs already have their old detention houses build up already. The only new jails would be to replace the old Tombs & upgrade them. Brooklyn, Queens & Bronx house are still standing & have the capacity of about 800 each or so. Richmond county jail which is (Staten island) has their own county jail. There’s potential to build luxury high rises or a huge city park at rikers. Just old baby boomer far right wing lunatics want to keep the jail. They really don’t care that a jail goes on up on centre & white street. It’s just an excuse they use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City