Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 08:04 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times

Advertisements

That area was never all that great esp. during night time but it's probably worse now. But it's nice to see people are out & about in Times Square. Hope they have a peaceful, uneventful evening.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...Wb_PFy_gG3DAMw

Manager Margarita Morillo and server Ivan Prado-Stevens have both worked at HavaMorillo has worked at the restaurant for 15 years and Prado-Stevens for 14 years.na Central Restaurant and Bar in Times Square for a long time.

Two longtime employees at a restaurant in Times Square told NY1 that the neighborhood has completely changed since the pandemic began and they no longer feel safe coming to and from work

The employees said that unsavory characters have moved into the neighborhood and have contributed to making it feel less safe

NYPD data on crimes reported in the Midtown South Precinct, which includes Times Square and several other tourist locations, show a significant increase in robberies and felonious assaults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 08:29 PM

101 posts, read 61,264 times
Not a shock in any way. Not only a decrease in tourism, but all of the working professionals that worked in Midtown 5 days out of the week. I avoid Midtown at all costs.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:02 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamboy217 View Post
Not a shock in any way. Not only a decrease in tourism, but all of the working professionals that worked in Midtown 5 days out of the week. I avoid Midtown at all costs.
Midtown isn't that bad. If you compare it to when the shutdown started, it has been better and better in some aspects. What got really bad is the homeless and mentally ill. At one point, there were more of them than anyone else on the streets. We even had some homeless setting up near Park Avenue, which is a rare sight, even with the homeless crisis. Looks like 230 Park Avenue worked to clean that up to the extent possible, and put up barriers over the vents to keep the homeless away, which apparently provided them heat at night. May have moved them into hotels, which is a good thing.

There are still the random skells here and there though, so you can't completely eradicate the problem. Midtown is too monied of an area. The real estate interests are powerful and have too much to lose to allow the situation to get too bad. JP Morgan Chase is buildings its new towers in the area, along with some other financial institutions. Midtown will be back. Ton of construction everywhere. I've been working in Midtown going back to before the crisis hit in my early 20s. I've seen the ups and downs for sure.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:30 PM

101 posts, read 61,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Midtown isn't that bad. If you compare it to when the shutdown started, it has been better and better in some aspects. What got really bad is the homeless and mentally ill. At one point, there were more of them than anyone else on the streets. We even had some homeless setting up near Park Avenue, which is a rare sight, even with the homeless crisis. Looks like 230 Park Avenue worked to clean that up to the extent possible, and put up barriers over the vents to keep the homeless away, which apparently provided them heat at night. May have moved them into hotels, which is a good thing.

There are still the random skells here and there though, so you can't completely eradicate the problem. Midtown is too monied of an area. The real estate interests are powerful and have too much to lose to allow the situation to get too bad. JP Morgan Chase is buildings its new towers in the area, along with some other financial institutions. Midtown will be back. Ton of construction everywhere. I've been working in Midtown going back to before the crisis hit in my early 20s. I've seen the ups and downs for sure.
I'm not disputing that it will be back. But the area's population (tourism and working professional) has been non-existent for over a year. We'll see when corporate america returns to the office how populated again it becomes.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:42 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
Lol. Times Square has always been a hell hole. New Yorkers avoid it like the plague. It’s a tourist trap hell hole.

I, as a New Yorker, do whatever I can to avoid..

It’s fun for tourists though.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamboy217 View Post
I'm not disputing that it will be back. But the area's population (tourism and working professional) has been non-existent for over a year. We'll see when corporate america returns to the office how populated again it becomes.
It's not non-existent. It's not as busy as usual, but there ARE tourists and some workers in the area. Definitely more than compared to when this started last year.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:13 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,731,547 times
I was there over the weekend (just ”missed” the shooting). It wasn't normal Saturday night crowded, but it was the most crowded I've seen the city since this all started. There were actually enough people on the street for me to get annoyed by them.

Also a guy in front of the theater on 42nd yelling ”don't be shy, come get high!”

Old 05-11-2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
I was there over the weekend (just ”missed” the shooting). It wasn't normal Saturday night crowded, but it was the most crowded I've seen the city since this all started. There were actually enough people on the street for me to get annoyed by them.

Also a guy in front of the theater on 42nd yelling ”don't be shy, come get high!”
Yup... Definitely crowded enough...

Old 05-12-2021, 01:56 AM

565 posts, read 361,864 times
I typically avoid Manhattan like the plague, especially post covid but time to time I like to drive in from Queens on a quiet late Saturday night to some of my old haunting spots just to see what the vibe is still like. Last week I decided to head down Broadway from the 50's to Times Square just for craps n giggles. Sure enough as I got close about 50 BLM thug type hood ratz came flying down on motor bikes and ATV's taunting cops and all the tourists (the few of them there) doing wheelies and creating all kinds of chaos! I guess they come down from upper Manhattan. They basically took the place over. Knowing that at least half of them had to be packing heat or, at minimum a blade, I gotz my azz outta there and headed back to the tranquility of NE Queens. Clearly the criminals and thugs are calling the shots in NYC right now.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:41 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's not non-existent. It's not as busy as usual, but there ARE tourists and some workers in the area. Definitely more than compared to when this started last year.
Sometimes I feel many posters are biased and living in a different dimension.

My new dentist is in the area and it was practically a ghost town in February. Of course this was before Jamie Dimon, aka the second coming of Christ handed down his papal back to office mandate. But it was in no way "more" than last year.

It's fine to be optimistic about a recovery but there's no need to exaggerate and try to convince yourself and others that things are improving when they're not. There are still more cars in Manhattan than people at this point. The ferry is becoming packed because people don't want to take subways.

Until the psychos and bums ruin that too, at which point I'll just eat the cost and stick strictly to Ubers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City