Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 01:31 PM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
That's me! Not that I like my colleagues so much but I don't want my apt. (which is my sanctuary) to become my workplace (which is not a sanctuary). Work should be at an office. A place where at the end of the day...I can leave.

Maybe, if I had a big rambling house it'd be different & easier to designate a specific work area. But my apt. is too small for that.
Could not imagine doing this in an apparment. We had a small room on the second floor of the house that we made into the office. Plants, music, colors, all the way I like it. I get to play guitar when I have down time, and listen to Tidal and find new music while I work.

Also as an introvert, Im fine being without other people for a LOOOONG time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 02:19 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Working from home is a god send.

No more commute, dirty trains, masses of people, bums, noise and pollution.
For lunch I can order in or hop in a convertible and go for lunch or gym.

I hope to never work in the city again.

Most of all I don’t miss the manhattan crowd, especially my midtown people.

All those things are part of the wonderful NYC urban experience!

Old 05-14-2021, 05:20 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Working from home is a god send.

No more commute, dirty trains, masses of people, bums, noise and pollution.
For lunch I can order in or hop in a convertible and go for lunch or gym.

I hope to never work in the city again.

Most of all I don’t miss the manhattan crowd, especially my midtown people.
Me too!! I love remote!

Old 05-17-2021, 07:20 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Being able to work from home 2 out of 5 days would be great. My company never officially allowed this but pre-pandemic, people used to work from home on Fridays.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:20 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Here's a chart I found today that indicates office rates in New York Metro area are about 15% of pre-pandemic rates.

Office space may be vacant for a long time, some may never be re-filled. My pet solution is to convert some of these in-town office spaces to apartment / condo dwelling units. As a retiree I'd love to live in Manhattan and be a short walk or taxi ride to all of the arts, culture, entertainment and food venues. People who have to work in the city might be able to live in the city near their work and stop the long commutes from distant suburbs.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:09 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Check back after Labor Day, that's when most large and medium sized companies have told workers they need to return or else.

If the big players like JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Google, etc.. bring their employees back in any great number it will have a trickle down effect. Companies that deal with such places will also have to staff up so they can provide services. If they don't someone else will.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:14 PM

593 posts, read 470,724 times
I always hated offices for any type of work requiring focus and concentration. Started out with sharing an office room with 1 or 2 people, then down to cubicles, which I could live with. Then they got rid of cubicles and dumped everyone into a huge room with long rows of desks. Co-workers started having meetings at their desks on speakerphones, hanging out with their friends, and bringing in dogs. With modern tech, there is really no need for offices. This is going to hurt NYC commercial real estate in the long term.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:42 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here's a chart I found today that indicates office rates in New York Metro area are about 15% of pre-pandemic rates.

Office space may be vacant for a long time, some may never be re-filled. My pet solution is to convert some of these in-town office spaces to apartment / condo dwelling units. As a retiree I'd love to live in Manhattan and be a short walk or taxi ride to all of the arts, culture, entertainment and food venues. People who have to work in the city might be able to live in the city near their work and stop the long commutes from distant suburbs.
From when lockdowns began, my contention which I see is true, is the pre covid economy is not coming back. Some sectors can rebound, some cannot. REITs are in bad shape..permanently.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:45 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Check back after Labor Day, that's when most large and medium sized companies have told workers they need to return or else.

If the big players like JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Google, etc.. bring their employees back in any great number it will have a trickle down effect. Companies that deal with such places will also have to staff up so they can provide services. If they don't someone else will.

JPM bragged its leasing costs will be down 40% permanently with an expectation that % is perm remote. 40% of its NYC staff = 78,000. Lets assume each of them, on average, spends $15 in NYC on food, retail shopping at lunch, newspapers, etc. Lets assume they usually are in NYC 230 days/year (took 30 days out for holidays & PTO).

230 * $15 * 78,000 = $269,100,000 less spent in NYC. Ouch.

Old 07-04-2021, 10:57 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,410,985 times
The one thing I hate about working from home is the constant pinging I get on Microsoft Teams. Seriously, very inefficient answering pings and typing messages all the time. Not sure why people have to ping constantly anyway. The idiots at my company can't work independently without bothering others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: