Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 09:39 PM

101 posts, read 61,285 times

Advertisements

Yang is going to resemble more of a Bloomberg type administration, without being a billionaire to fund his policy goes and influence. Certainly he brings a very positive and fresh outlook to the city. But his lead campaign strategists worked for Bloomberg on his mayor campaigns or during his actual mayor tenure, and so those relationships would be key for Yang to grasp how to run this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 11:01 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
McGuire is a money man and that is what we may need with this Wind fall of Federal Bail out before Billy spends it all.
I liked him from the get go. I know he doesn't want to be referred to as the black Bloomberg but that's how I see him and I liked Bloomberg. Thought he did a decent job. I'm concerned about the state of NYC's economy. Like it or not, you need a strong economy and not someone who's going to run it to the ground. (I wanted to strangle De Blasio so many times). But I'm disappointed that he's not doing all that well in the polls. But with rank choice voting and so many voters undecided...who knows?

Yang is my 2nd choice.

What I don't want is Wiley. Omg. I like her as a person. I've seen her on MSNBC as a contributor. I think she has a good heart but no. No, no, no... She's too pie in the sky. She's such a professor. Nope.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:07 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamboy217 View Post
Yang is going to resemble more of a Bloomberg type administration, without being a billionaire to fund his policy goes and influence. Certainly he brings a very positive and fresh outlook to the city. But his lead campaign strategists worked for Bloomberg on his mayor campaigns or during his actual mayor tenure, and so those relationships would be key for Yang to grasp how to run this city.
Good! I liked Bloomberg. I miss the Bloomberg days. I know he was criticized for being too "tourist focused" & out of touch but tourism brings in the money. And with a strong economy, everyone benefits.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:21 PM

5,682 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Good! I liked Bloomberg. I miss the Bloomberg days. I know he was criticized for being too "tourist focused" & out of touch but tourism brings in the money. And with a strong economy, everyone benefits.
I miss the Bloomberg days because I didn't worry about safety then.
Sometimes you don't love what you have but then you get much worse and you wish to have those days back.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:00 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamboy217 View Post
This is why Yang would be my top pick.

Hilarious that so many act like Yang is the woke lefty communist candidate. No, Yang is one of more moderate Dem candidates and will be friendly with the rich, big tech, and big employers.

UBI if implemented as a large scale replacement for myriad webs of welfare is a conservative ideal IMO. Streamline and cut administration waste across a thousand forms of social welfare by replacing them one universal basic income. Because lets face it, in 2021 not even Republicans are crying to defund welfare. The modern Republican/Rhino battle cry is reduce waste, not eliminate.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:51 AM

25 posts, read 23,813 times
Any mayor that wants to defund or push away the police are crappy.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:24 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion
You raised a Very Very interesting question....

Some one posted the Debate in full above.
Guess what ? It is not the same one I saw.
The backdrops appeared to be in the homes of the candidates.
Very Very Creepy.....

I saw an older woman wearing Glasses
and not Dianne Morales.
Very Very Creepy.....

Of the 9 zoom squares
Top 3 Zoom squares Left to right
Commentator Errol Luis , Maya Wiley ,Kathryn Garcia
Middle Zoom Squares Left to right
Not Dianne Morales,Shaun Donovan, Ray McGuire
Bottom 3 Zoom Squares Left to right
Andrew Yang, Eric Adams ,Scott Stringer

I remember
Eric Adams complaining of other candidates running over their 45 second responses.

In addition some one was hovering over the zoom screen the entire time
with the mouse arrow deleting texts as they popped on the screen.
Very ...Very......Creepy.....

I am old and have senior moments but this wasn't one of them..................Very Very Creepy..............

Are each of the five boroughs getting unique but different coverage of the debates?
Are each of the five boroughs getting unique but different prerecorded coverage of the debates ?
Who knows..................Stay tuned....
In your OP you mentioned Loree Sutton. She dropped out of the race back in March. So you were watching something old.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-15-2021, 09:00 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Kathryn Garcia , Andrew Yang, Shaun Donovan compared
(if you go to Yang's site his policy section is much larger than other candidates, more details )

I recommend in comparing any of these candidates check out what is on their websites.
Garcia has very little on her site on policies, Yang has a lot
and Donovan has a 200 page Pdf called the Plan for the City of New York
and a large regular polices section, a lot more than I can even outline

ANDREW YANG

https://www.yangforny.com/policies

excerpt,

POLICIES

A Basic Income for New York City
Program Goals

A Yang administration will launch the largest basic income program in the country. Through this program, 500,000 New Yorkers with the greatest need will receive a basic income that will help give them a path forward....

This basic income program will start with providing those who are living in extreme poverty with an average of $2,000 per year. This program can then be grown over time as it receives more funding from public and philanthropic organizations, with the vision of eventually ending poverty in New York City altogether.

Economy ∙ Criminal Justice

A Safe and Fair City

Appoint a Police Commissioner with a background beyond NYPD experience.
Andrew Yang will appoint a NYPD commissioner whose career is not primarily in law enforcement

Pursue a residency requirement for new officers in the state legislature.

Overhaul oversight of the NYPD.

A Yang administration would supplement disciplinary power from the NYPD Commissioner so that the CCRB or an independent disciplinary committee is able to make a final determination.

Expanded mental health counseling for officers.

Invest in the capacity of a Mental Health Emergency Response Unit

The NYPD does not have the capacity nor skill set to respond to many people in emotional distress or who are experiencing mental health crises, particularly those in the disability community for whom interacting with law enforcement is difficult.

Relief for Our Small Businesses

Save 15,000 small businesses in 2022.

The goal will be to hold each department accountable to reach the goal of opening, preserving, and reopening 15,000 small businesses and to reach out to businesses to understand what they think should be done to make operating in New York easier

Pass the Small Business Jobs Survival Act.
Already, a majority of Council members support the bill, and the time is ripe to pass it. It protects small business owners during lease renegotiations so that landlords can’t hold them hostage for higher rents from others or for a piece of the business that the owners grew. By providing small business owners with the right to a 10-year renewal

Push NYS for a Vacancy Tax.
There are too many open storefronts in NYC. A Yang administration would advocate New York State for a vacancy tax, determining an amount of time for which a storefront can be vacant, after which the landlord must pay a tax to the state as a penalty.

Create a permanent low- or no-interest loan program.
NYC recently launched some programs doing this, but they’re limited in scope. Through the People’s Bank of NYC, low- or no-interest loans could be offered to small businesses that meet certain criteria.

Renew licenses and permits without fee or application.

Support Cinch Market and other local e-commerce efforts to compete with Amazon.
A new company is bringing together local businesses in Brooklyn to offer a Prime-like delivery service.

__________________________________________________ ____________

https://www.kgfornyc.com/policy/housing-2/

KATHRYN GARCIA

Housing That Heals

Health and housing are linked. Residents who do not have stable or quality housing are less healthy. Safe, secure, affordable housing is a basic human right.

Kathryn will focus the City’s housing agenda on outcomes. Rather than fixating on units, we will focus on reducing the number of people who are sleeping on the street, who are rent burdened and who are in shelters.

Kathryn will address street homelessness with urgency and compassion. We spend $3 billion annually on shelters and renting hotel rooms that fail to adequately serve NYC neighborhoods and families.
Instead, we will move away from shelter strategy to a housing strategy.

We cannot reduce housing prices without increasing supply. Kathryn’s plan will accelerate much needed construction of new housing for New Yorkers today and tomorrow.

Public Safety + Police Reform

Right now we are seeing many retirements in the upper ranks at NYPD. A new commissioner will have the opportunity to reshape the culture. Our incoming recruits will be more diverse. But we can’t afford another day without action or accountability. Kathryn’s plan will drive down crime and restore trust in the NYPD.

Education

As a proud NYC public school graduate (PS 321, IS 88), a parent of two multiracial kids, and sister of a DOE special education teacher, Kathryn knows firsthand what our teachers, students and parents are facing.

We must abandon the scarcity mindset–that there can only be a few “good schools” to compete over. Instead, we will implement structural change that will desegregate schools and incentivize better educational outcomes, so that families feel confident that the closest school to their home will provide the best education for their child.

note:
Garcia married Jerry Garcia in 1995, but the couple later divorced. She has two children, Anna and Alex. Since 2014, Garcia has been residing in Park Slope

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/11/n...yn-garcia.html

https://shaunfornyc.com

SHAUN DONOVAN

The Plan for the City of New York

https://shaunfornyc.com/wp-content/u...f-New-York.pdf

_______

Priorities

Economic Development

Shaun Donovan will work relentlessly to get New Yorkers back to work, committing to creating 500,000 jobs for New Yorkers by the end of his first term.

We will create the largest comprehensive skills-based training program in the US for thousands of students in secondary (DOE) and post-secondary (CUNY) education, purposefully linked to workplace training and tightly aligned around the sectors where middle-income job growth will be strongest: life sciences, health, information technology, design, and finance. We will ensure access for adults seeking skills training and professional advancement, as well as secure and enshrine pay thresholds so that the program does not widen the pay gap.

As part of these efforts, we are committed to investing in the establishment of 10,000 apprenticeship placements by 2025.

A key step will be to guarantee at least one paid job, apprenticeship, or internship opportunity that connects to a meaningful career pathway to every high school student, helping students identify and develop interests along with skills. Read more about this and other commitments to preparing our young people for family-sustaining employment opportunities in our Education Platform.

_______The Donovan administration will establish an NYC Job Corps which will put young people to work and create opportunities for shut-out workers. Among many others, the NYC Jobs Corps will engage justice-involved individuals in work and skills-training.

NYC Job Corps will provide customized, on-the-job experience to get participants workforce-ready. The Jobs Corps will target industries that are critical to the City’s long-term success, including our infrastructure needs, to identify jobs and employers that are ready to accept a cadre of City-trained professionals.

We will deploy the convening power of the mayor to establish the NYC Entrepreneurship Financing Fund and leverage public, private and philanthropic investments to fund it. We will deploy capital to small businesses in neighborhood commercial areas, dispersing small loans to viable retail businesses to help them retool and expand as New York City emerges from the pandemic-driven recession.

Criminal Justice

By the end of his second year in office, Shaun Donovan will invest $500 million annually in community-focused public safety and racial justice initiatives, primarily by redirecting funds currently allocated to law enforcement and corrections. He will also dedicate roughly $3 billion or 20% of the city’s public safety budget for these efforts by the end of his first term, directed to the neighborhoods with the greatest needs and guided by community input.

Targeting the out-of-state gun pipeline, working with other mayors, governors, and the Biden administration

Fast-tracking gun cases

Establish a non-police mental health first responder system

Decriminalize sex work and the end unjust policing of sex workers

End the NYPD’s Vice Unit

Invest in community-based anti-violence programs

There is strong evidence that existing community-led approaches to safety are producing results. And yet, New York City currently invests between $25 million and $35 million in these programs, less than one-third of one percent of the $10 billion that we spend on police. The City should begin by tripling its investment in community-led approaches to violence reduction, expanding current programs and developing new ones modeled after successful initiatives and directed toward neighborhoods where violence is most prevalent.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:06 PM

173 posts, read 147,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post

Hilarious that so many act like Yang is the woke lefty communist candidate. No, Yang is one of more moderate Dem candidates and will be friendly with the rich, big tech, and big employers.
It's funny because your point on how people think of Yang is true. Many people think he's some left, communist candidate, but I've also seen the left (specifically people who back Morales / Wiley) constantly hate on Yang, because they think he's a conservative in disguise, and want to band together to stop him. Pretty ironic

Old 05-15-2021, 10:40 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
I like Adams for his straightforwardness and honesty in speaking his true views on matters and his care for strong L&O.
But I am afraid that he pissed off the minority majorities because his intention of bringing back S&F. Also, he is not a terribly good debater and will not shine on the debate stage. He is a conservative democrat whom I can identify with.

Yang is a shrewd busi-politico hybrid candidate resembling MB who will be more outcome-oriented instead of ideology-driven. He knows how to talk and to appeal so I perceive a greater chance of him winning this race, unless a republic dark horse will emerge at some point. I would really like to see Adams to have a place in this new NYC admin team to enforce L&O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: