Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 08:07 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpable View Post
Adams as mayor is scary. At this point, I'll take anyone else in the race over him.

Response: Opinion

I have to agree with you on this one.......I'm sensing anger issues............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 11:16 PM

173 posts, read 147,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion

I have to agree with you on this one.......I'm sensing anger issues............
Yeah, I just don't get a good feeling watching him speak. There's just something about his demeanor that unsettles me and he's really the only one out of the group that gives me this vibe. He was a big supporter of Stop and Frisk back in the day and his ties to the NYPD makes me nervous he's only going to bolster their strength (I don't think the NYPD should be defunded, but certainly reformed).

Watching the below video was just... weird? Seems out of place and almost like a parody. I think his administration is going to install these out of touch policies based on these odd beliefs / demeanor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk2Wc4Y5CxE

Anyways... I think he'll end up appealing to a specific type of NYer and I just don't think he'll be good for NYC as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Why is he scary? You'll take anyone? Be careful what you ask for.

-signed, Candidate: Paperboy Love Prince
I don't really consider Paperboy Prince a real candidate.. though he is funny.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:06 AM

621 posts, read 240,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpable View Post
Yeah, I just don't get a good feeling watching him speak. There's just something about his demeanor that unsettles me and he's really the only one out of the group that gives me this vibe. He was a big supporter of Stop and Frisk back in the day and his ties to the NYPD makes me nervous he's only going to bolster their strength (I don't think the NYPD should be defunded, but certainly reformed).

Watching the below video was just... weird? Seems out of place and almost like a parody. I think his administration is going to install these out of touch policies based on these odd beliefs / demeanor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk2Wc4Y5CxE

Anyways... I think he'll end up appealing to a specific type of NYer and I just don't think he'll be good for NYC as a whole.

I don't really consider Paperboy Prince a real candidate.. though he is funny.

Hehehe - there's probably not much of a riven between Paperboy and deBlasio. I agree with you, I'm not for Adams either. As you said, his support for Stop and Frisk after it has been debunked not only by criminologists but by Adams himself, is nonsensical. Further, his idea of giving more voucher money to the homeless without a real plan to transition homeless people from the streets to independent living means that NYC will continue to experience increased homelessness (and crime).

I really like Diane Morales. She has some incredible bold ideas like forming a Mental Health agency that handles mentally ill people in lieu of cops. However, I see her more as a senior advisor or as a housing commissioner than Mayor. We need someone who understand economics as well as sociology so that she can appeal to the corporate class as well as the working class.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Maguire. What he lacks in personality IMO, he brings specific plans to issues such as policing, housing, and education. If I was advising him, I would say that he needs to take from the Stringer playbook and present some commercials of him with his family. I think that will appeal to more people who vote based on personality rather than policy.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:25 AM

173 posts, read 147,233 times
Quote:
Hehehe - there's probably not much of a riven between Paperboy and deBlasio. I agree with you, I'm not for Adams either. As you said, his support for Stop and Frisk after it has been debunked not only by criminologists but by Adams himself, is nonsensical. Further, his idea of giving more voucher money to the homeless without a real plan to transition homeless people from the streets to independent living means that NYC will continue to experience increased homelessness (and crime).

I really like Diane Morales. She has some incredible bold ideas like forming a Mental Health agency that handles mentally ill people in lieu of cops. However, I see her more as a senior advisor or as a housing commissioner than Mayor. We need someone who understand economics as well as sociology so that she can appeal to the corporate class as well as the working class.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Maguire. What he lacks in personality IMO, he brings specific plans to issues such as policing, housing, and education. If I was advising him, I would say that he needs to take from the Stringer playbook and present some commercials of him with his family. I think that will appeal to more people who vote based on personality rather than policy.
Far left candidates like Morales are interesting. Not 100% convinced all their policies are good / will work, and honestly some of them are wishful thinking, but agreed she would be valuable in some aspect of government.

Ray McGuire is interesting. Wall Street backing of course, maybe he really does care about the average citizen? I just don't like the way he seems to dodge a lot of questions. For example, in the NYTimes interviews, he was asked whether he would accept a Cuomo endorsement and tried to beat around the bush. All the other candidates pretty much gave a yes or no answer. I've seen this quite a few times in published interviews with him. I definitely prefer a candidate just answer the question because otherwise it feels like he's trying to hide something.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...interview.html

Old 05-20-2021, 12:03 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
...As you said, his support for Stop and Frisk after it has been debunked not only by criminologists but by Adams himself, is nonsensical...
Stop & Frisk was never debunked, just the opposite it was proven effective. It took guns off the street and most importantly it made perps scared to carry because the chance was high they would be pinched and face mandatory 2-3 year gun possession charges. The problem with S&F is too many innocent people being put up against the wall, which is why they got rid of it.

Adams is probably not bringing back S&F which is a shame, because we need a jolt of law enforcement right now to get back to normal. Too many guns on the street, too many criminals doing whatever they want because they know nobody is going to stop them

Eric Adams is getting elected by a landslide

Old 05-20-2021, 12:45 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
Here's his explanation in his own words. And I personally feel this is much like de Blasio's idea of cops going to people's homes to tell them to knock it off, it will largely be targeted at black and brown folks by a bunch of Karens:

https://twitter.com/CaseyHo/status/1393067749102915585
What's so wrong about this?

You're just a clown wokester who ignores the obvious if it doesn't fit the narrative. You think people in the hood don't know who the troublemakers are and don't want them off the streets?

Adams is running in favor of stop and frisk. Shouldn't that tell you something? The only people against stop and frisk are wokesters living in low crime neighborhoods to begin with.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:49 PM

621 posts, read 240,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Stop & Frisk was never debunked, just the opposite it was proven effective. It took guns off the street and most importantly it made perps scared to carry because the chance was high they would be pinched and face mandatory 2-3 year gun possession charges. The problem with S&F is too many innocent people being put up against the wall, which is why they got rid of it.

Adams is probably not bringing back S&F which is a shame, because we need a jolt of law enforcement right now to get back to normal. Too many guns on the street, too many criminals doing whatever they want because they know nobody is going to stop them

Eric Adams is getting elected by a landslide

I got more research where this came from
https://crim.sas.upenn.edu/fact-chec...k-reduce-crime

I'll save you the trouble - S&F made no difference. In fact, researchers from UPENN (and other institutions of higher learning) has shown that S&F actually makes eyewitness testimony less likely b/c the eyewitnesses, who themselves were victims of S&F, are more unwilling to cooperate. People like S&F policies until its them or their mamas harassed and thrown to the ground.

Even Bloomberg who pushed S&F, said during his presidential run that he should have done things differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: