Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 09:20 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a glorified street fare. I like street fares! I hope they'll be back on in Manhattan as well.

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/summer...-to-bay-ridge/

Let the good times stroll!

Bay Ridge’s beloved “Summer Strolls” are returning for their ninth hurrah this summer after taking a one-year hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic in 2020, officials announced Monday.

“What is going to make our neighborhoods feel like they’re back is bringing back our traditions,” said state Sen. Andrew Gounardes, who represents a swath of southern Brooklyn which includes Bay Ridge. “Summer streets is one of those traditions.”

Neighborhood merchants, business advocates and politicians met May 17 to announce the relaunch of the summer program, during which streets are closed to vehicles and storefronts set up shop on the sidewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 05:03 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
They always run these things when it's scorching hot outside. More power to them.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:59 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Country fairs are an excellent idea for the summer in outer boroughs (or any smaller city of town). They should rotate them throughout the summer, so there is one every weekend in some local neighborhood or the other. Smaller cities Upstate have that stuff regularly, and it really helps brighten up the misery of depressed areas scorched by summer heat. With music all day. Yes!

Old 05-19-2021, 06:34 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They always run these things when it's scorching hot outside. More power to them.
Well, they are called Summer Strolls.

They are also at night. I've been to nearly all of them since inception and recall hot summer nights, but not the scorching hot that it would be if these were at 2 in the afternoon.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:15 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Well, they are called Summer Strolls.

They are also at night. I've been to nearly all of them since inception and recall hot summer nights, but not the scorching hot that it would be if these were at 2 in the afternoon.
Oh, they're at night! That's so cool. The street fares in Manhattan close at 6 pm.
I've been to night time food festivals at Flushing Meadows. Hope that comes back on.
The summer was such a bust last year. Hopefully, better days are ahead.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:25 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Oh, they're at night! That's so cool. The street fares in Manhattan close at 6 pm.
I've been to night time food festivals at Flushing Meadows. Hope that comes back on.
The summer was such a bust last year. Hopefully, better days are ahead.
Yeah. They run from 5 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. on four Friday nights during the summer. Two of the nights are a 10-12 block long stretch of 3rd Avenue from 69th Street to 82nd. The other two are from 82nd to I think around 95th Street. They're great. I love going back to the neighborhood for them, but wow, the number of empty retail shops on the avenues is crazy. Even pre-pandemic, I was hearing how many shops closed.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:26 AM

1,059 posts, read 548,436 times
What's funny is when the 68 precinct community council makes a big deal out of participating in the night out against crime" events. Bay Ridge isn't an area where most people are afraid of street crime (or where you can't stroll down the avenues any night.) Senior citizens being scammed and package thefts are what predominate on the neighborhood Facebook pages. And parking, parking, parking, endless parking woes.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:27 AM

1,059 posts, read 548,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The movie nights in Owl's Head always seem to fall on the hottest, stickiest, most humid days.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:54 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Sounds like a glorified street fare. I like street fares! I hope they'll be back on in Manhattan as well.
It's a little different in that the restaurants have much of their dining outside on the street. Not street after street of sausage and arepa vendors like most of these events.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:36 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
I used to work in this area. It was a nice event, lots of good restaraunts promoted some good eats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: