Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 05:45 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
stop attempting to troll. No one care about your tantrums

Nobody in the forum is talking about her, yet she has gotten two major endorsements and Yang has had a bit of a dip in his lead.
This is an introductory on Garcia in more depth than in some other thread about all the candidates. She has experience Yang has none.
You seem to not want to read anything. That's the problem. In other words, if you don't want to know about Kathryn Garcia then don't click on this thread, it's that simple, stop trolling. Go make your own thread, enough childish jealousy, thanks
The problem is you just post articles with nothing of value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 05:55 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
Quote:
See links, I had to leave out policy items as to not make this too long

take a look at this list >>

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/arti...orsements.html

All the Endorsements in the NYC Mayoral Race

this has a list of various types of endorsements, politicians, organizations, newspapers, celebrities etc
with ongoing updates

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/o...nyc-mayor.html

New York Times

Kathryn Garcia
for Mayor

A go-to problem solver for the past decade, Ms. Garcia was hard to miss at City Hall — a confident, gravelly-voiced woman who ran an overwhelmingly male Sanitation Department. She has a zeal for making government work better and was often known to show up ahead of a 6 a. m. shift for roll call not to micromanage but to find out how her people were doing.

The tech entrepreneur and former presidential candidate Andrew Yang has led in many early polls, promising to make the city fun again, with an attractive optimism. But nothing so far suggests that he has the experience to run New York City on Day 1.

She is also committed to reforming the New York Police Department. That begins with speeding up and strengthening the disciplinary process, reforming the promotion process, raising the age for recruits to 25 from 21 and requiring them to live in the five boroughs. In picking a commissioner, she said, too many mayors have looked for “a cop's cop.” She said she would look for one who is “prepared for culture change, which means that you're going to have to take some tough stances.” As an example, she said, officers who did not wear masks during last year's protests should have been docked pay.

__________________________________________________ ____

https://nypost.com/2021/05/10/the-po...cs-next-mayor/

New York Post

The Post says Eric Adams should be NYC’s next mayor

His top priority has to be reversing the rocketing rise in crime, from shootings to subway safety.

Adams would reinstate an anti-crime unit to crack down on guns and gangs.

He’d also push Albany — where he served as a state senator — to reform the no-bail law to allow for judges’ discretion to lock up dangerous, recidivist criminals.

While so many Democrats rail against charter schools, Adams knows that they provide a life-changing opportunity for poor minority kids — and a living challenge to our public schools to improve.

He has pledged to push the state to raise the charter school cap.

Adams has shown a willingness to cut regulations for small businesses and encourage new startups. Unfortunately, he also proposes tax increases that could push even more high earners south. We hope that he appreciates that retaining businesses and the wealthy — in short, the tax base that pays the lion’s share — is as important as making our streets safe if New York City is to thrive again.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...zza-story.html

NY Daily News

Make it Mayor Garcia: New Yorkers should choose Kathryn Garcia in the Democratic primary for NYC mayor

Her plans combining further criminal justice reforms with robust, targeted policing are among the best. Bucking the tide, she calls for continuing to enforce certain quality-of-life offenses, like open-air drug dealing near schools. She would tackle the drivers of gun crime with data, while also promising to hold officers accountable for misconduct. The needle-threading task of resuming the city’s critical crime decline while instituting further reforms requires wisdom, balance and boldness. She’s got it.

So too on schooling, Garcia correctly believes in turning New York City’s public schools, which are really two or three systems of wildly variable quality, into a single, genuinely integrated system that sets a higher bar for all kids and helps them meet it. But in getting there, she is correctly respectful of the islands of excellence — like the specialized high schools and exemplary charter schools — that are already doing a great job educating thousands and keeping their families in the system.
smart. she has experience in multiple city agencies. yang is a passive pushover. hope she wins.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:57 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
I want her to have and promote more of a vision for NYC, and get out the messaging for it

Old 05-20-2021, 06:01 PM

621 posts, read 240,657 times
JonBenson, thanks for the correction on Donovan's "I solved homelessness" claims - it's 1/3 not 1/2. If he reached even a 1/3 of the millions he claims to have helped, the man wouldn't have to run for mayor...he would be at the UN or WHO, or the World Bank by now b/c he would be the man that solved homelessness.

Garcia is too much pie in the sky talk for me. 50,000 affordable housing units? What does she define as affordable housing for families who are at or near homelessness? No specifics.

And Yang...oh Andrew Yang! He's going to reduce homelessness by 50% while giving every families $500 a month? He's going to convert commercial space to affordable units but what does that mean? Madison Avenue will go from being a luxury strip to a poverty strip? Maybe this can work but we need more specifics. And, he wants to increase vouchers? To go where? More hotels? There's way too much NIMBYism in NYC (and perhaps rightfully so).

That said, my rank order as of today is:
1-Maguire - solid plans; seems like a healthy balance between business and civic
2-Morales - very bold plans for housing, homelessness, and mentally ill
3-Stringer - longtime public servant should serve him well in navigating city politics
4-?
5-? Might have to throw in Paperboy as a protest vote for better future candidates

Old 05-20-2021, 06:21 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
smart. she has experience in multiple city agencies. yang is a passive pushover. hope she wins.
What's passive about Yang? He was pretty bold for having talked about UBI on his presidential campaign.
He won't be easy to beat. If he doesn't get nominated Garcia still has to contend with Adams.
Ray McGuire (aka droopy face) hasn't been able to get traction or the others so far

Old 05-20-2021, 06:36 PM

621 posts, read 240,657 times
Quote:
What's passive about Yang? He was pretty bold for having talked about UBI on his presidential campaign.
He won't be easy to beat. If he doesn't get nominated Garcia still has to contend with Adams.
Ray McGuire hasn't been able to get traction or the others so far

He is passive. He doesn't have a strong position on anything he talks about. During the debate, the other candidates like Adams and Maguire went after him. Rather than counterattacking and defending his position, he resorted to "common ground" defense.

Yank did talk about UBI during his presidential run but I don't believe he understands the intricacies of implementation. Nor do I believe that he believed he could be the democratic presidential nominee. Notice also how he dropped his UBI from $1000 down to $500. Still he hasn't told us where the money is coming from and how he will manage disbursements. Agreed, he won't be easy to beat b/c he's a very likeable guy and people nowadays vote on personality over policy.

Adams is formidable. But that NYT expose on his cozy relationships with RE developers will haunt him. Garcia also seems likeable. But she's more management than visionary. Same with Maguire though I appreciate that he has taken the time to present a formidable plan to bring NYC back from the ashes. He needs some personalized commercials like Yang and Stringer - his persona may come off as too white collar for many.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:38 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I want her to have and promote more of a vision for NYC, and get out the messaging for it
These people.have no vision. They're not that bright to begin with. They get into it for the money and power.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:36 PM

644 posts, read 307,181 times
I like her. Sounds like her policy is less gimmicks and more common sense. And she gets what's happening with the schools. This is a seriously underestimated thing that may dog the city for years. Drag it out into 2021-2022, and more families will leave, including all kinds of qualified professionals, and good luck luring others to come instead. Between that and the crime, well... My company (engineering) been short-handed for months, trying to hire, and it looks like no one wants to come work here. We used to get a lot of applicants from the midwest, and a few from abroad, but hardly any bites now.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:37 PM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,820 times
JonBenson you campaigning for her here don't know if that goes against the TOS of this forum or not its not going to work she has no chance to be mayor!!

Old 05-21-2021, 01:10 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
JonBenson you campaigning for her here don't know if that goes against the TOS of this forum or not its not going to work she has no chance to be mayor!!
stop trolling and impersonating a moderator

Here is another thread I made

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...or-andrew.html

Who would make a better Mayor Andrew Yang or Shaun Donovan?

^^^ The purpose of this thread was to inform people of other candidates not being discussed much
and also for me to see what other people say about them to inform me of other things I may not know so I can use this to make a decision

I also have this thread

New York City’s First Republican Mayoral Primary Debate

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...ublican-2.html

This thread has video on Fernando Mateo, another candidate people many people are not that familiar with, not talking about much.
I have also posted several Sliwa videos in other people's threads where he's talking about his polices.

I am still undecided on who I'm going to vote for and will wait for more debates

So again, stop trolling
you're voting for Sliwa so this thread is not even pertinent to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City