Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 10:47 AM

106,649 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

Peter lugars only takes cash or their own store credit card. Lots of Asian restaurants here in queens are cash only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 10:49 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Peter lugars only takes cash or their own store credit card. Lots of Asian restaurants herein queens are cash only
Same with McSorley's. It's not particularly uncommon for places to only take cash.

I find that those places have better prices, so it doesn't bother me.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:05 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Quite a few of the newer restaurants in my old hood actually implemented cash only or the 4% surcharge. Doesn't seem to keep them from doing business.
I always hated places that do that. They don't see the bigger picture. People tend to spend more money when they use cards because... They can... In a COVID environment, I don't carry cash, but I do have debit, charge and credit cards that can be used for contactless payment, and pre-COVID, places that were cash only... I only took out X amount of dollars and if I didn't have enough... Oh well. That's their loss. Not going out of my way to take out more money. Businesses that don't take cash... Makes it easier for them to hide earnings and lower their tax obligations.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:08 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I've been to a lot of millenial frequented places that only take cash. They're bars though and not fancy restaurants.
Yeah, I actually stopped carrying cash because just about all of the places I frequented (especially speciality coffee shops) were card only, so I said why bother to carry cash. When I eat out, I use specific cards for that anyway, so it makes it easier for me to track what I spend in food each month.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:35 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I always hated places that do that. They don't see the bigger picture. People tend to spend more money when they use cards because... They can... In a COVID environment, I don't carry cash, but I do have debit, charge and credit cards that can be used for contactless payment, and pre-COVID, places that were cash only... I only took out X amount of dollars and if I didn't have enough... Oh well. That's their loss. Not going out of my way to take out more money. Businesses that don't take cash... Makes it easier for them to hide earnings and lower their tax obligations.
good

Old 05-26-2021, 01:03 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:

Re: bigger picture

It really depends. McSorley's in the East Village and Carmelo's in Bushwick are cash only and they're PACKED. The low prices the latter provides by being cash only draws in a lot of customers.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:16 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,788 times
32nd street between 5th and Madison avenues in Midtown is the model restaurants should be based on. I was out there last night. Sidewalk venues and the entire street basically shut down (completely on weekends) as people of all races and ages ate and drank.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:19 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,788 times
Quote:
Lo and behold - when they apply for the government loan and grant programs (federal and state) and are asked to provide accompanying paperwork, payroll records, and tax records they suddenly come short. It's a big issue as I work in the tax industry and there have been many CPAs who refuse to sign off on what they see as very shoddy attempts at building fraudulent records and backdating logs. Of course some restaurant owners will find willing accountants and lawyers within their respective ethnic communities if applicable.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:34 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
The 34 best outdoor dining spots in NYC

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/rest...box=1621971031

Old 05-28-2021, 05:36 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
I rather cook for myself. Many times I got subpar food so no more take out.
Okay, but you're missing the point. This is for people who want to support restaurants.

By the way, I'm sure that many times you went outside and it was bad weather. Did that stop you permanently from going outside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: