Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 05:35 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,347 times

Advertisements

Planning a trip to New York City, and trying to figure out the Covid vaccination requirements. Information online is very conflicting. Could someone please help clarify:
Is vaccination required for indoor seating or does it depend on the establishment?
If we had the vaccine in another state, do they check the card? Or do they only except vaccines done in New York state?
It’s dancing allowed in bars and clubs?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 07:15 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
When's your trip? Because restrictions will change constantly. But of course any vaccination anywhere will be valid.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:40 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Where are you coming from? At the moment international travelers need to do a COVID19 test in order to enter the USA.

As for NYC, I think certain venues are requesting proof of vaccination for entry. But currently one doesn't need to be vaccinated to visit NYC although this could change depending when the OP wants to visit the city.

Also NY State does have a vaccine passport app called NY Excelsior Pass which the OP might want to check out: https://covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/excelsior-pass

Old 06-02-2021, 08:56 AM

1,146 posts, read 859,868 times
Flavia. I will answer all your questions...all good questions by the way. First off, if you are traveling to NY from a foreign country (International), you will need to test negative for COVID within 48 hours before your flight. Vaccination means nothing for flying International. You will need a COVID negative test to enter the US. (Most airports around the world have rapid COVID tests for a fee). If you are traveling from somewhere else in the US, there are no longer any testing or quarantine requirements.

Restaurants and Bars in NY can ONLY operate at 100% capacity without masks and no social distancing IF all staff and customers are vaccinated. Some of these places seem to just go by the honor system and simply ask you if you are vaccinated upon entry. Others will ask for proof either by showing your vaccine record card or a pic of your vaccine card on your phone. It does not matter where you were vaccinated. Those who were vaccinated in NY can also show their status via an excelsior app. I would suggest bringing your actual vaccine card with you just to be on the safe side, although everywhere I have been so far accepts a pic of your card on your phone. The bars that are operating this way at full capacity are obviously a lot more fun. Yes, dancing, standing while drinking, and crowding around the bar is all allowed at these places only. I can provide a short list of these places that I know of first hand if you wish. In fact, I thought about starting a thread on it.

However, there are still many places still operating under COVID restrictions because they choose to allow unvaccinated patrons. State rules are changing constantly and it is possible that vaccination will not be required for venues to operate at full capacity in the near future. In nearby NJ and CT, bars are fully open without any vaccine requirements. Therefore NY may loosen up on this too over the summer.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Where are you coming from? At the moment international travelers need to do a COVID19 test in order to enter the USA.

As for NYC, I think certain venues are requesting proof of vaccination for entry. But currently one doesn't need to be vaccinated to visit NYC although this could change depending when the OP wants to visit the city.

Also NY State does have a vaccine passport app called NY Excelsior Pass which the OP might want to check out: https://covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/excelsior-pass

The Excelsior Pass ONLY works for those vaccinated in NY state. This needs to be made clear because even some bars and restaurants were not aware of this fact when I casually mentioned it to them.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:23 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Planning a trip to New York City, and trying to figure out the Covid vaccination requirements. Information online is very conflicting. Could someone please help clarify:
Is vaccination required for indoor seating or does it depend on the establishment?
If we had the vaccine in another state, do they check the card? Or do they only except vaccines done in New York state?
It’s dancing allowed in bars and clubs?
Thanks in advance!
They don't check anything. The only proof you need is a bullet proof vest for walking around at night

Old 06-04-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Flavia. I will answer all your questions...all good questions by the way. First off, if you are traveling to NY from a foreign country (International), you will need to test negative for COVID within 48 hours before your flight. Vaccination means nothing for flying International. You will need a COVID negative test to enter the US. (Most airports around the world have rapid COVID tests for a fee). If you are traveling from somewhere else in the US, there are no longer any testing or quarantine requirements.
For international visitors it is 72 hours or 3 days before entry that one must test negative on a COVID test.

Old 06-04-2021, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
For international visitors it is 72 hours or 3 days before entry that one must test negative on a COVID test.
Ok. They must have changed that again. It was 48 hrs last I heard. Just shows the "rules" are being changed often. I believe the OP is traveling domestic though.

Old 06-05-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Ok. They must have changed that again. It was 48 hrs last I heard. Just shows the "rules" are being changed often. I believe the OP is traveling domestic though.
Also they are still recommending quarantine for international visitors to NY State. But since it is only a recommendation one can pretty much ignore it unless one needs to go to a medical facility (or is planning on interacting with someone closely that is planning on having a medical procedure within the next 10-14 days approx.).

Old 06-05-2021, 06:21 AM

1,399 posts, read 891,728 times
You can buy blank vaccine cards on the internet for $100. Not my cup of tea personally. If a business requires gestapo tattoos I do not give them any of my money. Have been saving and investing crazy amounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: