Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 02:48 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times

Advertisements

Video set reminder
7PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxzn_gkyJ4Y

^ Debate can be watched here, click link

also on Abc7NY.com and Univision41.com

one more debate scheduled on June 16th only for “leading contenders,"

Kathryn Garcia is the current frontrunner

What is Kathryn Garcia's Mayoral Campaign Platform?
June 02, 2021

https://www.gothamgazette.com/city/1...paign-platform
__________________________________________________ _______________________

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/31/n...race-june.html

Yang goes negative on Garcia

“We talk about her experience as the head of the Department of Sanitation,” Mr. Yang said on WNYC's “The Brian Lehrer Show” on Wednesday. “Right now, the New Study complain to me just about every day about the piles of trash that we're seeing around us that get higher and higher.”

Asked why Mr. Yang had a change of heart, his senior adviser, Eric Soufer said, “Our city needs a change at the top, not a de Blasio third term.”

Adams wants to crack down on loud dirt bikes

The dirt bikes and all-terrain vehicles that constantly speed through the city are loud, but they can also be dangerous — for pedestrians and for the people operating them. They appear regularly during the warmer months with seeming impunity.

He also wants to use speed cameras and red light cameras to ticket drivers, and to expand the hours when speed cameras operate.

Last week, Mr. Adams announced a plan to crack down on them.

It seems to be a close race, Garcia is more experienced than Yang but also a lot more boring.
For anyone who liked Bloomberg, he to had not political experience when he forts became mayor
We'll see what happens at the debate

Last edited by jonbenson; 06-02-2021 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 04:45 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
That one lady should just curse out the NYPD every time she gets the mic. That's a super winning strategy for getting progressive cred. Plus it's hilarious for normal people to watch.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-02-2021, 08:04 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times

I kind of like Yang's personality more than the others. However I'm not sure about this new hair cut.
The buzz stuff on the sides, I don't think it fits him but even with that style the buzz part usually
goes all the way around at the lower part of the hair . This is just a triangular portion by the ear, you could say pizza slice shaped.
Is this a thing now or is he trying to start a trend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axK2ep5TBYc

Last edited by jonbenson; 06-02-2021 at 08:22 PM..

Old 06-03-2021, 05:23 AM

1,059 posts, read 548,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
That one lady should just curse out the NYPD every time she gets the mic. That's a super winning strategy for getting progressive cred. Plus it's hilarious for normal people to watch.
Wiley. Horrendous woman, talking twice as long as allotted, wouldn't shut up. Did she not know what the time limits would be? Another proud WOC -- white a white mother (not her fault LOL) and a white husband per Wikipedia.

Morales. "I was a broke single mother in the supermarket with no money" Not being able to run your household budget is a qualification for mayor? Decent energy. Not too much, not too littel.

Stringer. Has two boys. Much experience but having two boys is his main selling point. Terrible commercials. Why does he begrudge his stepfather moving back to Puerto Rico? Maybe the man has family there. You gonna help him in his old age Scott?

Donovan. Can't specifically remember a thing he said. Radio host just said he made good points. Vaguely recall thinking that.

Garcia. Needed to show more energy. Maybe trying not to be a shrill female? Has a sister, niece and kids. Yang mentioned garbage piling up all over the city. She should have said what one on John Lindsay's sanitation commissioners got in trouble for. Paraphrasing, it was something like "The city is full of pigs."

McGuire. Seemed like he barely spoke.

Adams. You became a cop because you wanted a job, not to fight racism from within. C'mon.

Yang. I actually liked is weirdness more than i expected. Probably didn't say anything practical.

Overall, they all promised to take care of everyone from cradle to grave. Provide child care, medical care, jobs. Wiley, I think it was, basically said we should provide these thing to everyone in the world. Anyone who wants to come to NYC legally or illegally should qualify for all these services. Vote too. Morales made some sort of anti-corporation point. 50% of people she said, work for small businesses. You know what small business don't provide? Benefits. But the city can do that.

Have no idea where they think the money for all these programs is going to come from when they drive all the corporations and middle class people out of the city. Neither do they.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:07 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Wiley. Horrendous woman, talking twice as long as allotted, wouldn't shut up. Did she not know what the time limits would be? Another proud WOC -- white a white mother (not her fault LOL) and a white husband per Wikipedia.

Morales. "I was a broke single mother in the supermarket with no money" Not being able to run your household budget is a qualification for mayor? Decent energy. Not too much, not too littel.

Stringer. Has two boys. Much experience but having two boys is his main selling point. Terrible commercials. Why does he begrudge his stepfather moving back to Puerto Rico? Maybe the man has family there. You gonna help him in his old age Scott?

Donovan. Can't specifically remember a thing he said. Radio host just said he made good points. Vaguely recall thinking that.

Garcia. Needed to show more energy. Maybe trying not to be a shrill female? Has a sister, niece and kids. Yang mentioned garbage piling up all over the city. She should have said what one on John Lindsay's sanitation commissioners got in trouble for. Paraphrasing, it was something like "The city is full of pigs."

McGuire. Seemed like he barely spoke.

Adams. You became a cop because you wanted a job, not to fight racism from within. C'mon.

Yang. I actually liked is weirdness more than i expected. Probably didn't say anything practical.

Overall, they all promised to take care of everyone from cradle to grave. Provide child care, medical care, jobs. Wiley, I think it was, basically said we should provide these thing to everyone in the world. Anyone who wants to come to NYC legally or illegally should qualify for all these services. Vote too. Morales made some sort of anti-corporation point. 50% of people she said, work for small businesses. You know what small business don't provide? Benefits. But the city can do that.

Have no idea where they think the money for all these programs is going to come from when they drive all the corporations and middle class people out of the city. Neither do they.
To be fair to Adams, he has been saying that for years now, so I'm inclined to believe him.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:16 AM

Adams history as a political activist cop probably escapes younger people or recent arrivals. It's easy to believe everyone knows everything about NYC because it's NYC, but local politics are still local politics.

Adams was on local TV near daily back in the 90's/early 2000's ranting about the police department, mostly internal stuff. He was very tied in with Sharpton when Sharpton was a huge local influencer. There's a current rabble-rousing scumbag trying to do exactly what he did. I believe he is running for something in fact while still an active Lt. I forget his name but he was in the news a lot and even mentioned here during the George Floyd Leftist Riots.

He most definitely joined the police department with a goal in mind. A lot of people do. Like anything else in life, you do yourself a disservice when you make snap judgements like "oh yeah, cops just want the money." While that may be true of many, it's a highly political job tailor made for those obsessed with becoming public personalities. I encountered many along the way. The NYPD spawned a president, keep that in mind...

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-03-2021, 07:19 AM

This punk ass:

https://www.lunionsuite.com/haitian-...-city-council/

Old 06-03-2021, 07:28 AM

1,059 posts, read 548,436 times
Old & lifelong resident SW Brooklyn resident but don't remember that. You would naturally remember more than the general public. How does someone get through the academy if their attitude is generally that cops are bad? I had to look it up to be sure. You mean TR?

Old 06-03-2021, 07:44 AM

You're better off that you don't remember lol. But you have a point, he was probably ignored by people with no particular connection to PD. Short clips on local news are easy to ignore.

Yup, TR. Made his bones as the first true police commissioner of the NYPD. Went up from there. I have some medals he issued to members of the NYPD who served with him in Cuba.

Old 06-05-2021, 10:28 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
One would not be surprised if......

1) The voter turnout is low

2) There's a runoff, even with rank-choice

The lack of a clear candidate on either side of the political isle, with broad appeal and with a broad, dynamic and clear vision for the future of this city, is quite telling......!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: