Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 11:25 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,610,953 times

Advertisements

At some point, the focus needs to shift to how to help the kids that are *not* doing well versus just punishing those who are. At some point, either privilaged kids will be put into private school or the parents will simply decamp for Scarsdale, NY and Maplewood, NJ. This will only hurt the city more in the long run.

At some point, this city needs to stop focusing on the politics of resentment and realize you can't have wealth redistribution without wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 11:36 AM

37,118 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I haven't seen anything on the school site that refers to actual AP classes. The highest level math they mention is High School Algebra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Then maybe the thread title is wrong.
That would make much more sense.

The article explicitly mentions Middle school multiple times and cites comments from a parent of an outgoing 8th grader who supposedly went through it. The Post gets things wrong sometimes, but this would have to be a pretty strong commitment to error.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:42 AM

9,108 posts, read 6,150,521 times
this is NOT traditional high school AP math class where the student bypasses basic freshman math in college. It is a higher level program than the regular math class. Math in Grade 7 is defined as: Math 7 or Accelerated Math 7. In Grade 8: Math 8 or High School Algebra Regents

https://www.labmiddleschool.com/apps...pREC_ID=371932

Old 06-10-2021, 11:44 AM

2,433 posts, read 1,211,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
At some point, the focus needs to shift to how to help the kids that are *not* doing well versus just punishing those who are. At some point, either privilaged kids will be put into private school or the parents will simply decamp for Scarsdale, NY and Maplewood, NJ. This will only hurt the city more in the long run.

At some point, this city needs to stop focusing on the politics of resentment and realize you can't have wealth redistribution without wealth.
Nope, never gonna happen. Much easier to tear something down, then build it up.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:47 AM

4,662 posts, read 4,544,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The article explicitly mentions Middle school multiple times and cites comments from a parent of an outgoing 8th grader who supposedly went through it. The Post gets things wrong sometimes, but this would have to be a pretty strong commitment to error.
I don't see in the article where they actually say "Advanced Placement". Here are some of things they do say:
  • “we will no longer have leveled math courses at Lab Middle School.”
  • “It doesn’t work. Advanced kids don’t want to belabor the same material. And the kids who need the extra attention won’t get what they need.”
  • Feurtado’s imperiled model offered advanced math classes at Lab — a feeder school to the city’s ultra-competitive specialized high schools — for kids in the 7th and 8th grades based on a diagnostic test.
  • “Lab Middle School prides itself on offering rigorous courses that best prepare our young people for bright futures, and no advanced math programs have been cut,” said Nathaniel Styer.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:48 AM

37,118 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I don't see in the article where they actually say "Advanced Placement". Here are some of things they do say:
  • “we will no longer have leveled math courses at Lab Middle School.”
  • “It doesn’t work. Advanced kids don’t want to belabor the same material. And the kids who need the extra attention won’t get what they need.”
  • Feurtado’s imperiled model offered advanced math classes at Lab — a feeder school to the city’s ultra-competitive specialized high schools — for kids in the 7th and 8th grades based on a diagnostic test.
  • “Lab Middle School prides itself on offering rigorous courses that best prepare our young people for bright futures, and no advanced math programs have been cut,” said Nathaniel Styer.

You're right, that's my mistake. I see the article was supposedly updated yesterday on the 9th, but I have no idea if I actually read advanced placement in the original or if I just misread it the whole time.

Old 06-10-2021, 02:37 PM

1,034 posts, read 445,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Nope, never gonna happen. Much easier to tear something down, then build it up.
Not even about that really.

It's about politicians buying votes by not wanting to tell their voting blocks that they're ****ty parents.

Imaging sucking at basketball and others telling you that it's not you but the court, ball, rim, backboard, shoes, etc.

Old 06-10-2021, 03:02 PM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,039 times
I don't see why these parents are complaining, considering they voted these people in and probably donated to their political campaigns.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:01 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You're right, that's my mistake. I see the article was supposedly updated yesterday on the 9th, but I have no idea if I actually read advanced placement in the original or if I just misread it the whole time.
I'd like to know what they changed because I thought it was AP as well, but I'm pretty sure they never mentioned AP the first time around either.

Old 06-11-2021, 01:16 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,234,951 times
AP or not the dumbing down of society to placate politcally correct excuse making race baiting clowns who act like everyone is a special snowflake is abhorrent.

If you grow up with garbage for parents and are uneducated/unskilled your life will almost always suck period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City