Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times

Advertisements

Lol...Irish eyes, clearly he was doing something wrong...double parked. And how the heck would she know that they never approach anyone else that is double parked? This is just the typical whining of "whitey keeping us down because we are black/brown". The reality is, they were most likely in a high crime area of the city, illegally parked (yes double parked is illegal), and the driver had all the bling and markers of someone that should be approached. Yeah racism...sure it is. I for one am glad he was approached...that is the cops job to check, look around, question, and inquire. There is nothing here to indicate harassment of any kind....kudos to the cops..keep up the good work.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:04 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
It is my street and I've lived there for a decade. I and my H are frequently double parked, as are all the other residents with cars. Usually we do this while dropping someone off or unloading groceries and while hoping a parking spot will open up. After living there 10 years, I have never once been asked a question by the police.

As to how did they notice his "urban" attire? Well his car looks "ghetto" in that its a bit pumped up (God forbid someone uses rims--should be illegal! HAHA), you can see his BROWN face through the window, you can see his gold through the window and his baseball hat is of course visible. He just looks "rough around the edges" but you'll never meet a nicer guy. LESSON HERE IS DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER.

And dont expect people to have to dress "white" in order to avoid police harassment, based on the US Constitution, that is a TOTAL NONSTARTER.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Lol...Irish eyes, clearly he was doing something wrong...double parked. And how the heck would she know that they never approach anyone else that is double parked? This is just the typical whining of "whitey keeping us down because we are black/brown". The reality is, they were most likely in a high crime area of the city, illegally parked (yes double parked is illegal), and the driver had all the bling and markers of someone that should be approached. Yeah racism...sure it is. I for one am glad he was approached...that is the cops job to check, look around, question, and inquire. There is nothing here to indicate harassment of any kind....kudos to the cops..keep up the good work.
This is funny. I live in a very upscale neighborhood so you are totally way off base there. Again, in my decade in the neighborhood I've never been bothered by the cops for double parking.

It is NOT ILLEGAL TO WEAR BLING. Nor should it be. Nor should people have to dress like you just to avoid police harassment. What a ridiculous concept. Try putting yourself in the shoes of an honest citizen who gets bothered for no reason. See how you would like it.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:09 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
This is funny. I live in a very upscale neighborhood so you are totally way off base there. Again, in my decade in the neighborhood I've never been bothered by the cops for double parking.

It is NOT ILLEGAL TO WEAR BLING. Nor should it be. Nor should people have to dress like you just to avoid police harassment. What a ridiculous concept. Try putting yourself in the shoes of an honest citizen who gets bothered for no reason. See how you would like it.
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live?
Although, I'm not entirely convinced that it wasn't a coincidence that he was stopped, and you weren't.. you're absolutely right, you can dress however you want, and honestly, a lot of people that dress "gangsta" (or so we call it around here), are really not all that bad.. everyone's just human afterall; clothing actually has nothing to do with it.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live?
Although, I'm not entirely convinced that it wasn't a coincidence that he was stopped, and you weren't.. you're absolutely right, you can dress however you want, and honestly, a lot of people that dress "gangsta" (or so we call it around here), are really not all that bad.. everyone's just human afterall; clothing actually has nothing to do with it.
Upper west side. What about you?

Trust me, its no coincidence..

Old 07-07-2008, 03:19 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Upper west side. What about you?

Trust me, its no coincidence..
Jackson Heights. =]
I hope your friend has better luck with the police in the future.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:46 PM

172 posts, read 590,046 times
saying double parking is unlawful and probable cause for a police stop is like saying having a expired inspection sticker in your window is unlawful and probable cause for a stop........double parking is a parking violation not a crime.........and to stop someone you need probable cause that someone has or is about to commit a crime and double parking is not a crime..........however asking him questions, as annoying as it may have been is not as bad as if they frisked him, so no harm no foul..............as a african american male who was a teenager in the guliani era and is now in law enforcement(not nypd) i have seen seen ignorance on both sides with my coworkers and the public........i actually feel bad for the nypd because of the pressure to make petty arrest and a quota to make a certain amount of stop and frisk placed on them by thier commanders. it results in alot of good kids getting harrassed and caught up in the system.....and yes i said harrasses, to this day i get stopped and frisked when in my "urban gear"..they are sometimes polite and fair but more often overly rude and unnecessarily harsh. they dig in your pockets which they are not suppose to do, they belittle you and berate you and god forbid if you talk back.....once they see my shield and i.d. they are usually apologetic and they usually ask me "why didnt you say anything?" or why didnt you i.d. yourself"? and i ussually respond by saying " i didnt think i had to, i wasnt doing anything".......

Old 07-07-2008, 04:38 PM

235 posts, read 1,085,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
saying double parking is unlawful and probable cause for a police stop is like saying having a expired inspection sticker in your window is unlawful and probable cause for a stop........double parking is a parking violation not a crime.........and to stop someone you need probable cause that someone has or is about to commit a crime and double parking is not a crime..........however asking him questions, as annoying as it may have been is not as bad as if they frisked him, so no harm no foul..............as a african american male who was a teenager in the guliani era and is now in law enforcement(not nypd) i have seen seen ignorance on both sides with my coworkers and the public........i actually feel bad for the nypd because of the pressure to make petty arrest and a quota to make a certain amount of stop and frisk placed on them by thier commanders. it results in alot of good kids getting harrassed and caught up in the system.....and yes i said harrasses, to this day i get stopped and frisked when in my "urban gear"..they are sometimes polite and fair but more often overly rude and unnecessarily harsh. they dig in your pockets which they are not suppose to do, they belittle you and berate you and god forbid if you talk back.....once they see my shield and i.d. they are usually apologetic and they usually ask me "why didnt you say anything?" or why didnt you i.d. yourself"? and i ussually respond by saying " i didnt think i had to, i wasnt doing anything".......
Dew point, your post seems well thought out and fair to all sides. However, the part about needing Probable Cause to stop someone is not true: the standard of proof for a forcible stop is Reasonable Suspicion that a crime has, or is about, to be commtted. The court case that established this Standard of Proof is Terry v. Ohio.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:43 PM

Oh he's been stopped and frisked many times, as have been lots of other men I know. Its one thing to get questions from the cops, but when you're getting suspicious questions basically insinuating that you're committing a crime cuz you dress urban is a bit more than annoying. Its illegal and its unconstitutional because its based on race and ethnicity, but it happens all the time. The reality is that any complaints would have lead to his arrest for something or other so he just went along with it and never actually did complain (he just relayed the story since it happened while visiting us).

Old 07-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthQueens149 View Post
Dew point, your post seems well thought out and fair to all sides. However, the part about needing Probable Cause to stop someone is not true: the standard of proof for a forcible stop is Reasonable Suspicion that a crime has, or is about, to be commtted. The court case that established this Standard of Proof is Terry v. Ohio.
Ah yes, the ever popular Terry Stop. Reminds me of first year law school (con law HAHA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City