Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 05:24 AM

33,886 posts, read 47,082,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I took the A train to downtown Brooklyn during rush hour on a Friday in mid 2019. There were 2 junkies shooting up on the train like no one's business. Then they finished it off with some snorting. I wondered if they were going to OD. I was surprised no one bat an eyelid.
Why were you surprised? TBH as a frequent rider, the A train has a penchant for random stuff like that happening. For me at least, it does not happen with enough frequency for me to, for example, change my commuting pattern.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 06:36 AM

12,751 posts, read 8,223,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why were you surprised? TBH as a frequent rider, the A train has a penchant for random stuff like that happening. For me at least, it does not happen with enough frequency for me to, for example, change my commuting pattern.
Shooting up on the platform I have seen, but NVER on the train.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:24 AM

2,399 posts, read 1,188,824 times
Self vaccination, it's all the rage.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:52 AM

15,803 posts, read 14,417,439 times
I moved into NYC in '89 and have been coming into the city for while before that (grew up on LI.) The public display of homelessness pre-Giuliani what significantly higher that the 20+ years after. I remember large scale homeless encampments out in the open. My first apartment in the city was on 59th and 1st, there was a big homeless encampment on first under the approach to the 59th street bridge. every night in the winter they built a big bondfire under there. I'm a bit surprised it didn't damage the structure.

I remember coming though Penn Station, and going from the LIRR area to the 8th avenue subway platform. There were hundreds of homeless lining the corridore.

And then they just went away. I know they didn't vanish off the face of the earth. But somehow someone (likely the NYPD), figured out how to prevent them from being a blight on the city. That's good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Worked how? I've been riding the trains for about 30 years now and the only difference is the lack of graffiti, and less trains coming out of service (at least for me on the A). All other problems persist.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:03 AM

1,399 posts, read 887,480 times
Pd have done a lot of cleaning up of homeless, junkies, hookers in the past. That's done now. Enjoy what you voted for, the 10% of you that actually vote.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:20 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,526,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I moved into NYC in '89 and have been coming into the city for while before that (grew up on LI.) The public display of homelessness pre-Giuliani what significantly higher that the 20+ years after. I remember large scale homeless encampments out in the open. My first apartment in the city was on 59th and 1st, there was a big homeless encampment on first under the approach to the 59th street bridge. every night in the winter they built a big bondfire under there. I'm a bit surprised it didn't damage the structure.

I remember coming though Penn Station, and going from the LIRR area to the 8th avenue subway platform. There were hundreds of homeless lining the corridore.

And then they just went away. I know they didn't vanish off the face of the earth. But somehow someone (likely the NYPD), figured out how to prevent them from being a blight on the city. That's good enough for me.

Same experience here. Homeless just seemed to disappear under Giuliani and Bloomberg.
I remember visiting/living in other major cities around that era and homeless were rampant in Chicago, L.A and Seattle. But everytime I came home to NYC, I always wondered where the hell did Giuliani and Bloomberg stash all the homeless. It made NYC so safe, that all the liberal midwesterners moved in (hell, even I moved back to a nice gentrified DUMBO), complained about how sanitized NYC was and then voted Deblasio in. Wish granted.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:26 AM

37,026 posts, read 39,106,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Same experience here. Homeless just seemed to disappear under Giuliani and Bloomberg.
I remember visiting/living in other major cities around that era and homeless were rampant in Chicago, L.A and Seattle. But everytime I came home to NYC, I always wondered where the hell did Giuliani and Bloomberg stash all the homeless. It made NYC so safe, that all the liberal midwesterners moved in, complained about how sanitized NYC was and then voted Deblasio in. Wish granted.

Eh, you're going to want to check that with people who were actually in those cities in the late 90s and 00s. Chicago has massive issues in large swaths of the city, but the Emerald City part and especially the Loop were immaculate compared to Manhattan. Pretty much all major US urban cores started rebounding from around the early 90s plus or minus a couple of years.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:27 AM

33,886 posts, read 47,082,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

Read up

https://www.amny.com/news/nyc-cluste...ed-1-15560249/

What do you guys think, its free to keep people off the streets

Nobody wants to pay for anything

"Keep them away from me as far and as free as you can"

Doesn't work like that kids.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-16-2021, 10:30 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,526,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Eh, you're going to want to check that with people who were actually in those cities in the late 90s and 00s. Chicago has massive issues in large swaths of the city, but the Emerald City part and especially the Loop were immaculate compared to Manhattan.

I lived in the Loop 2004-2006, right before I moved back to NYC. Homeless were definitely there. Not huge encampments, but definitely more than the equivalent parts of Manhattan at the same era. Even the suburbs of Chicago (Oak Park) where I lived for a year prior to moving to the Loop had homeless hanging around. As I said, I was always shocked when I came back to visit NYC and did not see bums everywhere. Instead there where white hipster transplants everyhwere, which I never saw growing up in NYC.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:37 AM

14,022 posts, read 13,842,203 times
NEW YORK CITY (WABC) -- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Wednesday that it is time to move homeless residents who have been housed in hotels during the coronavirus pandemic back to shelters, pending action from the state.

The plan has been controversial since the beginning, with residents from the Upper West Side to Midtown to Downtown reporting a variety of issues near temporary homeless hotels, including fights, indecent exposure, and drug use

https://abc7ny.com/nyc-covid-update-...irus/10797323/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City