Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 12:03 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,629,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom01 View Post
How is the Sunnyside neighborhood? Is it ghetto like Washington heights and Bronx where people blast music. On the sidewalk?
Sunnyside is actually an oasis in NYC, pretty much paradise compared to everything else, specifically the North half above QBLVD centered around Sunnyside Gardens Park, one of only two private parks in NYC (the other is Gramercy Park). They have member parties and barbeques all summer long, super kid friendly. Main ethnicity of active residents is Irish, although much of the real estate is still Greek owned well after they moved out to long island. But you will find pretty much every ethnicity except pretty much no black people. I had a black friend who left after a year lease because she felt isolated even if she was never mistreated or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 12:48 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,729,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Sunnyside is actually an oasis in NYC, pretty much paradise compared to everything else, specifically the North half above QBLVD centered around Sunnyside Gardens Park, one of only two private parks in NYC (the other is Gramercy Park). They have member parties and barbeques all summer long, super kid friendly. Main ethnicity of active residents is Irish, although much of the real estate is still Greek owned well after they moved out to long island. But you will find pretty much every ethnicity except pretty much no black people. I had a black friend who left after a year lease because she felt isolated even if she was never mistreated or anything.
Agree 100%. My friends who live there are straight off the boat Irish.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:06 PM

36,939 posts, read 38,939,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Long Island City
Astoria
Sunnyside
Woodside
Jackson Heights
Elmhurst
East Elmhurst
Corona

Nice. I'm always curious about what people's definitions of areas of the city are and how they might shift from one person to another. I thought Northwestern Queens was the larger LIC parcel, Astoria, and Sunnyside so it made me wonder. I think of those, I'd take in order Jackson Heights, Astoria, Sunnyside, Elmhurst, Long Island City, Woodside, Corona, East Elmhurst.

Quote:

Sunnyside Gardens is great, though my opinion is there are a lot of great neighborhoods in the city with different strengths with Sunnyside's being a leafy, urban neighborhood with quick access to Midtown and what some would say are fairly affordable prices. There's also something to be said for having some architectural cohesiveness.

I've gone to a few parties / bbqs in Sunnyside Gardens Park and it's fun to watch the trains roll by. What you said about being one of only two private parks in NYC is both technically and actually not true though the two do operate somewhat similarly compared to other private parks and are somewhat better known.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:12 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,629,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nice. I'm always curious about what people's definitions of areas of the city are and how they might shift from one person to another. I thought Northwestern Queens was the larger LIC parcel, Astoria, and Sunnyside so it made me wonder. I think of those, I'd take in order Jackson Heights, Astoria, Sunnyside, Elmhurst, Long Island City, Woodside, Corona, East Elmhurst.

Sunnyside Gardens is great, though my opinion is there are a lot of great neighborhoods in the city with different strengths with Sunnyside's being a leafy, urban neighborhood with quick access to Midtown and what some would say are fairly affordable prices. There's also something to be said for having some architectural cohesiveness.

I've gone to a few parties / bbqs in Sunnyside Gardens Park and it's fun to watch the trains roll by. What you said about being one of only two private parks in NYC is both technically and actually not true though the two do operate somewhat similarly compared to other private parks and are somewhat better known.
I would also say that the Forest Hills Gardens neighborhood is much nicer and upscale, but does not quite have the same tight knit community as Sunnyside Gardens and is much further from Manhattan

Old 06-15-2021, 05:02 PM

867 posts, read 406,772 times
Quote:
How is the Sunnyside neighborhood? Is it ghetto like Washington heights and Bronx where people blast music. On the sidewalk?
You're comparing a neighborhood to an entire borough? Unless you thought the Bronx was a Manhattan neighborhood. And really? Everywhere in The Bronx is ghetto??

Sunnyside is nice and quiet, with everything grown adults need. It's not hype, and it is not a bad thing. As far as your question it is absolutely not ghetto. It is overlooked due to the fact nothing really happens there.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:07 PM

36,939 posts, read 38,939,780 times
Quote:
I would also say that the Forest Hills Gardens neighborhood is much nicer and upscale, but does not quite have the same tight knit community as Sunnyside Gardens and is much further from Manhattan
Yea, Forest Hills Gardens is damn cute.

I think for the OP's purpose, the commute part isn't an issue since the reference point is Washington Heights and the Bronx (the entire borough apparently). What might be an issue is the relative lack of apartments there, though there are quite a few in the larger Forest Hills neighborhood itself.

Kind of curious as to what your top 5 Queens neighborhoods are though there's a probably a thread somewhere to bump up asking that specifically.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:58 PM

3,425 posts, read 1,368,007 times
Quote:

I live in Woodside, which is very close to Sunnyside so I always walk around that area. It's a very nice neighborhood and not "ghetto" at all. Very nice area to live in, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City