Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 03:26 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times

Advertisements

I've seen more & more raccoons lately. They're kind of bold too when begging for food (with their little hands). I suspect... people are feeding them.

https://www.amny.com/environment/hea...nhattan-parks/

The city’s launching a wholly different kind of vaccine campaign in Manhattan — this one focused on trash pandas roaming through two public parks.

Members of the city’s Health and Parks Department announced Tuesday it would begin distributing bait containing an oral rabies vaccine at Inwood Hill and Fort Tryon Parks for raccoons that frequent the Upper Manhattan greenspaces.

The effort aims to vaccinate the critters against the potentially deadly rabies virus, thereby protecting humans and their pets who may come into contact with them. In the next few weeks, the city will also spread the vaccine bait in other parks that raccoons are known to frequent.

“Raccoons are a natural part of our city,” said Richard Simon, wildlife unit director for the city’s Parks Department. “Although it’s very rare to come into contact with a rabid raccoon, we want to remind all New Yorkers that if you see a raccoon, you should give them space — never approach or try to feed them.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 04:22 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
The CDC just banned the import of any dog from a list of 113 countries

Apparently there is some sort of global rabies pandemic

Old 06-15-2021, 08:37 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Are they going to offer the raccoons some kind of incentive, like doughnuts or transit passes or lottery tickets?

Old 06-15-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Are they going to offer the raccoons some kind of incentive, like doughnuts or transit passes or lottery tickets?
Yes, free garbage. Exactly the same De Blasio has been giving us for years now

Old 06-16-2021, 05:32 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I've seen more & more raccoons lately. They're kind of bold too when begging for food (with their little hands). I suspect... people are feeding them.

https://www.amny.com/environment/hea...nhattan-parks/

The city’s launching a wholly different kind of vaccine campaign in Manhattan — this one focused on trash pandas roaming through two public parks.

Members of the city’s Health and Parks Department announced Tuesday it would begin distributing bait containing an oral rabies vaccine at Inwood Hill and Fort Tryon Parks for raccoons that frequent the Upper Manhattan greenspaces.

The effort aims to vaccinate the critters against the potentially deadly rabies virus, thereby protecting humans and their pets who may come into contact with them. In the next few weeks, the city will also spread the vaccine bait in other parks that raccoons are known to frequent.

“Raccoons are a natural part of our city,” said Richard Simon, wildlife unit director for the city’s Parks Department. “Although it’s very rare to come into contact with a rabid raccoon, we want to remind all New Yorkers that if you see a raccoon, you should give them space — never approach or try to feed them.”
More animals are coming out because of the pandemic, even the transplants are smart enough to not feed raccoons, they know more about raccoons than we do, coming from suburban/rural areas they're in more contact with them.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-16-2021, 06:24 AM

5,826 posts, read 2,948,440 times
Give them a moderna vaccine, let’s see what happens

Old 06-16-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Give them a moderna vaccine, let’s see what happens
You can call the first one Splinter, and the next four Raphael, Leonardo, Donatello, and Michelangelo.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:29 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
I feed an outdoor spayed cat and the other morning a few minutes after I gave her food, a huge raccoon was eating from the bowl. I don’t leave food out because it attracts them and opossums but this one must have been nearby when I fed the cat.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I feed an outdoor spayed cat and the other morning a few minutes after I gave her food, a huge raccoon was eating from the bowl. I don’t leave food out because it attracts them and opossums but this one must have been nearby when I fed the cat.
morning raccoon or opossums are not a good sign, be very careful.

Those are nocturnal animals, when they are out in the daylight that is a sign of mental disease, usually rabies

Old 06-16-2021, 02:46 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
I don't know why on earth people think it's okay to feed wild animals. Ngl wouldn't be mad to see warnings/tickets handed out for it. Especially feeding the pigeons like are u f ing kidding me?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City