Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 02:01 PM

106,329 posts, read 108,357,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
Financial sector again!
Nyc is the top banking and financial sector in the country so it is dominated by those companies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 02:38 PM

18,968 posts, read 13,860,877 times
Sucks to be them. Thankfully my wife's company saw the benefits of WFH and has decided to stick with it permanently. In fact, just yesterday she told me that the owner shut down some fool that she provides work for when he tried to argue that my wife's section needs to come back to the office.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-16-2021, 03:05 PM

2,404 posts, read 1,191,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I don't know how you define "win" though, because ultimately it will come down to what individuals are able to get or not get...but the work landscape is changing because of covid-wfh... that much is guaranteed. It's just a question of how much.

Now yes, workers are replaceable but at what cost though? Not all parts are valued or created equally. We're not talking about people who are an assembly line--we're talking about people with technical and/or other specialized skills who have options. And les you forget, just because one employer is unwilling to bend--doesn't mean that others won't. Retaining and cultivating talent is a business challenge on its own. If i'm a top sales person at business A....and who has to work in person as per policy...and business B offers the same salary plus wfh--why wouldn't I go to business B?

Furthermore, if you're business A, are you willing to lose out on top talent because your own ego needs stroking? Now multiply that by the 100s if not 1000s of people who apply to business B rather than yours. Still sticking to that game plan? Good luck with that.

Like my wife said--when I asked her "what if they fire you?" She said "As VP of xyz? Good luck on finding someone who can save you X-millions of dollars the way that I do and good luck on finding someone who knows your business the same way that I do....I can get another position in a heartbeat who will work will let me WFH." My response? "Oh"

Reminds me of dress down, why work at a place that makes you wear a suit and tie? When the crew3 floors up are in khaki's and polos.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:58 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,998,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Top companies run through people like a bull. They squeeze them for all they're worth and toss them to the side for the next batch of suckers. Why do top employees burnout after x amount of years and move on? How much does your wife make that she's so irreplaceable, because if it isn't in the high six to seven figures sorry to say, you've got your head up her a*s.
Sure they can, but at what cost? I won't go into details about money, but she's close to the owners. Like I said, finding someone who knows what she knows about their business who can save the money (by the millions); it would become a problem (according to her) right from the gate, hence why she thinks she has leverage here.

Again, as a business is it worth it to let someone go, take a financial hit, all in the effort to say "i'm right, and you're not?" especially if the work is getting done? It all comes down to whether you're willing to put your ego before a sound business decision.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:00 PM

1,046 posts, read 466,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Sure they can, but at what cost? I won't go into details about money, but she's close to the owners. Like I said, finding someone who knows what she knows about their business who can save the money that she has would be a problem (according to her) hence why she thinks she has leverage here. Again, as a business is it worth it to let someone go, take a financial hit, all in the effort to say "i'm right, and you're not?" It's something that they'll have to be bold and honest about.
There's also the fact that recruiting for top tier talent is expensive and time consuming. Not everyone is easily replaceable.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:15 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,998,548 times
Quote:
There's also the fact that recruiting for top tier talent is expensive and time consuming. Not everyone is easily replaceable.
exactly what I was saying earlier. The "top talent" who have been wfh have options. The dime a dozen customer service rep? Not so much.

Another poster made a pretty acute observation too...in the tech field there's an age difference compared to the financial world where a lot of the higher ups are considerably younger who appear to be empathetic to the wfh folks who have kids. Whereas, those in the business world, in the senior positions are older and simply don't care and want people back. It'll be interesting to see the divide if it rolls out that way.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:03 PM

1,034 posts, read 443,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Gorman probably has a really really long lease with that building. 20, 30, 50 years. It will be a money pit if no one came back to the office. So he has to take this stance otherwise he will look like a fool with the board, stock-owners, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Right like CEOs would sing the same tune if they had 6 months left on the office lease
This makes absolutely ZERO sense. Leases are broken all of the time. In fact, many leaves have clauses whereby a lease can be terminated early for various reasons (usually includes some type of fee).

Do you fools really think that these companies that swim in money are afraid of breaking leases?

Old 06-16-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
What many are overlooking is that those that WFH can hold multiple jobs at the same time and no one would be the wiser. This isn't some theory. This is a very real concern for many corps.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:07 PM

1,046 posts, read 466,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
What many are overlooking is that those that WFH can hold multiple jobs at the same time and no one would be the wiser. This isn't some theory. This is a very real concern for many corps.
They could but you think people who want to WFH want to work multiple full time jobs at once? They're trying to make their lives easier, not harder.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
They could but you think people who want to WFH want to work multiple full time jobs at once? They're trying to make their lives easier, not harder.
Bro, you must live on a different planet. You wouldn't increase/ double your income if you could?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: