Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 02:52 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniess View Post
i'm guessing OP is in Queens, as there are a lot of these narrow two way residential streets that barely fit two cars wide (and aren't divided by a double yellow line). i dont think bronx or brooklyn have these kind of streets; i feel almost all residential blocks are one way in those boroughs
You might be right

I dont know Bronx streets that well from driving memory, but I'm trying to think in Brooklyn where it may be like that and I'm drawing blanks

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 02:58 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,458 times
Quote:
i'm guessing OP is in Queens, as there are a lot of these narrow two way residential streets that barely fit two cars wide (and aren't divided by a double yellow line). i dont think bronx or brooklyn have these kind of streets; i feel almost all residential blocks are one way in those boroughs
I live on one of those narrow two way streets which is why I'm having such a hard time visualizing this. I can't even figure out where a car would turn around to park backwards!

Old 06-22-2021, 03:50 PM

615 posts, read 448,446 times
Quote:
i'm guessing OP is in Queens, as there are a lot of these narrow two way residential streets that barely fit two cars wide (and aren't divided by a double yellow line).
This needs to change. It's too crowded to have 2 way narrow streets anymore.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:20 PM

245 posts, read 342,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
This needs to change. It's too crowded to have 2 way narrow streets anymore.
Curtis will turn things around.

Old 06-23-2021, 02:05 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Yes it’s a narrow two way residential street in Queens where two cars can’t pass each other without one stopping or slowing to a crawl depending on how many cars are parked.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:30 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Yes it’s a narrow two way residential street in Queens where two cars can’t pass each other without one stopping or slowing to a crawl depending on how many cars are parked.

Queens probably has the most streets like that. The NYCDOT will convert a street to one-way if community groups or elected officials request a traffic study.

Recent conversions - https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/downlo...e-requests.pdf

Conversion process - https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/downlo...conversion.pdf

Old 06-23-2021, 07:36 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
They have converted some streets in my neighborhood to one way. Most of them are on blocks with schools.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:13 AM

615 posts, read 448,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
They have converted some streets in my neighborhood to one way. Most of them are on blocks with schools.
Yes, schools and police precincts (111 recently) mostly so far.
Maybe they have a plan somewhere for all streets in the future.

It amazes me that they developed the Manhattan grid system in 1811,
when most of Manhattan was still forests/woods.

Talk about long-range planning! George Washington was dead only 12 years,
and lots of the Founding Fathers were still alive.

Old 06-23-2021, 02:25 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
I live on one of those narrow two way streets which is why I'm having such a hard time visualizing this. I can't even figure out where a car would turn around to park backwards!
I've done it a couple of times late at night when the only spot was a super tight fit and was on the left side of the street since I'm way better at parking on the right side of the street

Old 06-23-2021, 05:09 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
Yes, schools and police precincts (111 recently) mostly so far.
Maybe they have a plan somewhere for all streets in the future.

It amazes me that they developed the Manhattan grid system in 1811,
when most of Manhattan was still forests/woods.

Talk about long-range planning! George Washington was dead only 12 years,
and lots of the Founding Fathers were still alive.
Grid plan being imposed on Manhattan was one thing, creating one way streets totally another.

quote:

By 1916 The Times reported that 27 streets had been designated one-way, especially narrow ones like Cortlandt, Thomas and Dey Streets, ''to find a solution to the vexing traffic problem'' caused by the increase in the number of automobiles.

In 1920 the Real Estate Record & Guide reported that Fifth and Park Avenues would become one-way from 34th to 57th Streets, with Fifth running south and Park running north, during the daytime. But it appears this was only a temporary experiment.

In 1924 the one-way system was extended to almost all narrow cross streets south of 57th. The success of that rule sparked a suggestion in 1925 by a real estate broker, Aaron Herrmann, that one-way sidewalks be imposed, along with rules discouraging ''those men or women who greet a friend and chatter on and on in the middle of crowded sidewalks.''

In February 1927 the one-way regulation was extended in Manhattan up to 110th Street. The major north-south Manhattan avenues were not converted to one-way traffic until after World War II, over the period 1951-1966.

/quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/12/07/r...od%201951-1966.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City