Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 10:48 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

Before the pandemic, some 10,500 yellow cabs — about 80 percent of the total number of taxi medallions issued by the city — were in the streets each day. During the peak of lockdown, in April 2020, that number was 982. “Our business dropped about 90 percent in a matter of three weeks,” says one employee of a major fleet who wished to remain anonymous. “Drivers were scared about getting out there, and there was no one moving around the city anyway, so it wasn’t economically feasible.” Even as the city has begun to come back to something approximating normal, the number of cabs has not. At the end of last summer, it crept back up to around 3,500 per day, where it remains.

Data from the city backs up that belief. The number of yellow cabs on the roads dropped from more than 10,000 pre-pandemic, to just 982 in April 2020. And while it has climbed up a good amount in the time since, back above 3,800 in April 2021, it's still far below the level it once was.

https://www.curbed.com/2021/05/nyc-y...appearing.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 10:57 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Before the pandemic, some 10,500 yellow cabs — about 80 percent of the total number of taxi medallions issued by the city — were in the streets each day. During the peak of lockdown, in April 2020, that number was 982. “Our business dropped about 90 percent in a matter of three weeks,” says one employee of a major fleet who wished to remain anonymous. “Drivers were scared about getting out there, and there was no one moving around the city anyway, so it wasn’t economically feasible.” Even as the city has begun to come back to something approximating normal, the number of cabs has not. At the end of last summer, it crept back up to around 3,500 per day, where it remains.

Data from the city backs up that belief. The number of yellow cabs on the roads dropped from more than 10,000 pre-pandemic, to just 982 in April 2020. And while it has climbed up a good amount in the time since, back above 3,800 in April 2021, it's still far below the level it once was.

https://www.curbed.com/2021/05/nyc-y...appearing.html
So what? The whole city (country) is about to do a post pandemic 180. Nothing is written in stone.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:13 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
NYC gets a lot of tourists and businessmen and women on expense account coming to talk business with Wall Street,they hail cabs,they dont use Lyft or Uber

Old 06-20-2021, 11:25 AM

5,678 posts, read 2,610,110 times
I was out last week late one night. If I was to wait for a yellow cab I may still be waiting...We did a lot of hopping around that night. Didn't see one cab.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:29 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Blame it on the pandemic. I can't believe, with Uber's reputation, why anyone would resort to them, especially in NYC.

You Can’t Find a Cab. Uber Prices Are Soaring. Here’s Why.
When the pandemic shut down New York, it all but wiped out the city’s taxi industry, as commuters worked from home, tourists stayed home and businesses closed. Fleet owners reduced operations or suspended them altogether.
https://worldnews-today.com/americas...ing-heres-why/
Bc cabs are absolute garbage and Uber is way better 95 percent of the time.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:32 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,653,525 times
Still waiting for one of those flying cars that folds into a briefcase. Dang Spacely Sprockets making promises of technology they couldnt deliver.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:44 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Still waiting for one of those flying cars that folds into a briefcase. Dang Spacely Sprockets making promises of technology they couldnt deliver.

Electric taxis coming in 2023-2025 Uber, Hyundai, Tesla, Ford, GM taking part of effort it still in development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwZNe1rIo0s

Old 06-20-2021, 12:00 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I was out last week late one night. If I was to wait for a yellow cab I may still be waiting...We did a lot of hopping around that night. Didn't see one cab.
May not apply, but you can use Curb to order a cab the same way you do an Uber or Lyft.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Uber is a scam. Get ready for the future. I was in Coney Island yesterday and wanted to travel over to Ft Tilden, out of curiosity I checked Uber. At 2:00pm it was $30 for a ride. I waited an hour and checked again. The new price for the same ride: $95.00. That’s a 7 mile trip. Yellow or Green cabs would come out less than $20 plus tip.
This is by designed in a controlled market. Just like rent here in nyc. You don't have to take an uber or rent in NYC. Demand better mass transit options. Nobody has to take an uber to get around town, I find taking any car to be a huge hassle in NYC lately due to traffic and much road problems that deBlasio and state's DOT is neglecting.

So keep paying the stimulus checks and watch nothing will be done around nyc.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:38 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Bc cabs are absolute garbage and Uber is way better 95 percent of the time.

Uber/Lyft sends out a nice new air-conditioned Camry or Accord with a polite English-speaking driver. NYC Taxis are usually in an awful state, with busted a/c, driven by a surly driver barely able to communicate in English. Uber/Lyft are provided a better service at a higher price point. Outer-boro residents depend on Uber/Lyft for trips into Manhattan for medical/hospital visits. Two years ago I had to go from SI to a large hospital on York Avenue. I reserved an Uber the day before. Uber arrived promptly and got me there on time. Without Uber/Lyft I'd have to depend on local car services which usually aren't capable of advanced reservations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City