Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 04:10 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
Outer borough neighborhoods simply don't have yellow cabs and cab companies were few and far between and disappearing rapidly pre-Uber. There just aren't the solutions in those neighborhoods that Manhattan and popular neighborhoods have.
I was shocked at how badly off Staten Island is in termed of public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 04:56 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I was shocked at how badly off Staten Island is in termed of public transit.
If you don't own a ride there has always been car services you order by telephone.

That or take a bus, or if goes where you want, the train.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:00 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Uber/Lyft sends out a nice new air-conditioned Camry or Accord with a polite English-speaking driver. NYC Taxis are usually in an awful state, with busted a/c, driven by a surly driver barely able to communicate in English. Uber/Lyft are provided a better service at a higher price point. Outer-boro residents depend on Uber/Lyft for trips into Manhattan for medical/hospital visits. Two years ago I had to go from SI to a large hospital on York Avenue. I reserved an Uber the day before. Uber arrived promptly and got me there on time. Without Uber/Lyft I'd have to depend on local car services which usually aren't capable of advanced reservations.
Ride share drivers actually will get out and help if passengers have packages, luggage, kids, etc...

Meanwhile taxi drivers don't move from behind the wheel for *sh*t*. You could be standing there with large packages, maybe a mother with baby in stroller and one or two young kids. Best they'll do is pop the trunk, but that's all.

Then they get all indigent when people don't tip. I'm like for what? You just drove me from point A to point B, barely acknowledged my presence and otherwise didn't do a GD thing other than drive. For that I've just paid. Salute!

Old 06-21-2021, 08:33 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Blame it on the pandemic. I can't believe, with Uber's reputation, why anyone would resort to them, especially in NYC.
What's wrong with their reputation? People love Uber

If it's too expensive then people won't use it and prices will drop. Obviously people are willing to pay these prices. If you don't like it don't use it

And FYI, the reason for the price jump is not enough drivers. People are collecting UI checks from the government so they are basically paid more to just stay home

Old 06-21-2021, 08:46 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
What's wrong with their reputation? People love Uber

If it's too expensive then people won't use it and prices will drop. Obviously people are willing to pay these prices. If you don't like it don't use it

And FYI, the reason for the price jump is not enough drivers. People are collecting UI checks from the government so they are basically paid more to just stay home
I used Uber this morning and paid about $17.00 with tip going from the Chelsea area to Midtown. I got one just as the surge pricing subsided. Yesterday, I checked one trip out of curiosity and it was like four times the price. I was shocked. They must've been really short on drivers.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:02 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I used Uber this morning and paid about $17.00 with tip going from the Chelsea area to Midtown. I got one just as the surge pricing subsided. Yesterday, I checked one trip out of curiosity and it was like four times the price. I was shocked. They must've been really short on drivers.
This is one problem that CA tries to fix by forcing Uber to convert the drivers to employees. If Uber drivers are all paid employees then there wouldn't be any surge pricing but the normal prices will go up drastically. This is working as intended to offer incentives for drivers to work during peak hours. Otherwise pay more and ask Uber to hire full time drivers.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:33 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This is one problem that CA tries to fix by forcing Uber to convert the drivers to employees. If Uber drivers are all paid employees then there wouldn't be any surge pricing but the normal prices will go up drastically. This is working as intended to offer incentives for drivers to work during peak hours. Otherwise pay more and ask Uber to hire full time drivers.
there would still be surge pricing.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:02 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Even so, having paid employees will force Uber to raise prices, as the independent contractors now have to be classified as Uber employees, meaning less flexibility for the workers, and Uber having to cover additional expenses, which they are likely not going to eat, but rather pass on to its customers.

I stopped using yellow taxis years ago, as I prefer to pick the type of car I want to ride in. Those yellow taxis are too small and often lack AC, so being able to choose a bigger car is great, for leg room and overall comfort if you have bags or something. If you use UberBlack, you can tell the driver that you have bags, pick climate control and pick if you want to have a conversation or not, and they will come out and assist you if need be. I usually don't bother to select that option (bag assistance that is, as I can put my own bags in the car), but having them open the door for me when I get in and get out makes life easier.

I saw a family getting in an Uber a few Saturdays ago in the City and it was comical. The car arrived. There were four or five people, and they didn't realize that the car wasn't big enough until it arrived.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:31 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
I’m all for yellow cabs disappearing. Goodbye love

Old 06-21-2021, 11:23 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Uber/Lyft sends out a nice new air-conditioned Camry or Accord with a polite English-speaking driver. NYC Taxis are usually in an awful state, with busted a/c, driven by a surly driver barely able to communicate in English. Uber/Lyft are provided a better service at a higher price point. Outer-boro residents depend on Uber/Lyft for trips into Manhattan for medical/hospital visits. Two years ago I had to go from SI to a large hospital on York Avenue. I reserved an Uber the day before. Uber arrived promptly and got me there on time. Without Uber/Lyft I'd have to depend on local car services which usually aren't capable of advanced reservations.
Have you been in an Uber? The drivers often reek of body odor, too much cologne, spicy ethnic foods, farts, and are often screaming into their cell phone on speaker having family arguments. Their English is also often questionable and some chose to communicate with grunting. Many also choose to have loud Middle Eastern/Indian music or koranic sermons on blast which they refuse to turn off or pretend they cannot understand you. My last driver, Mohammed (such a common cabbie name), was angrily gesticulating at the women in summer clothes walking around the Manhattan streets and talking to himself about "corruption", "infidels", and "moral decay."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City