Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 11:01 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Absolutely. Minors have all sorts of opinions that are worthy of complete dismissal. But I don't doubt that the Asian kids didn't kiss her butt all day.
Really depends, remembering way back most of the Asian kids were mostly clique-ee and didn't mingle, not until like college
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 11:27 AM

1,059 posts, read 548,819 times
"The daughter of Caribbean immigrants, Yarde felt intense stares from other students, their looks seemingly questioning Yarde’s place at the elite high school"

Maybe they were staring at her blonde hair.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:31 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yeah I don't doubt she was genuinely uncomfortable, and I do feel bad that she went through that. But I'm still interested to learn if she was uncomfortable because Asian/white kids were not used to being around her, or if she was not used to being around Asian/white kids
Its possible, I'm not discounting that at all.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-22-2021, 11:32 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Yea, that's pretty sad. I would hope the parents of these other kids would teach them to do better than saying racial slurs or saying **** like "such as one student’s comment that his mother would rather he be gay than date a Black girl".

Good on her for making it into a very tough to get into school and hopefully it's at least a good springboard to a more pleasant college experience at Northeastern and a successful career.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:38 AM

1,034 posts, read 446,736 times
Carribeans Blacks in NYC hate whites and Asians. I'd bet that she grew up.in a household that taught her Whites are racists and Chinese all cheat and only help their own.

This kid was posioned by her parents.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Carribeans Blacks in NYC hate whites and Asians. I'd bet that she grew up.in a household that taught her Whites are racists and Chinese all cheat and only help their own.

Clearly you know all Carribean Blacks

Old 06-22-2021, 11:40 AM

1,399 posts, read 892,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What difference would that make
She'd get called white for being smart

Old 06-22-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
She'd get called white for being smart
Maybe we'll never around this race thing, too much at stake for certain people.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:16 PM

2,316 posts, read 1,152,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Interesting read. Interesting perspective.

https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2021/6/21/2...shes-she-hadnt

Elizabeth Yarde graduated Monday from Queens High School for the Sciences at York College, one of the city’s specialized high schools. As one of only a handful of Black students there, she experienced overt racism, which damaged her mental health and led her to speak out.

The first thing Elizabeth Yarde noticed on her first day at Queens High School for the Sciences at York College was the lack of Black students.

The daughter of Caribbean immigrants, Yarde felt intense stares from other students, their looks seemingly questioning Yarde’s place at the elite high school, and she heard racial slurs being tossed around freely. At lunch, when Yarde started up a conversation with a fellow student, he remarked that he had never had a Black friend before.

“I started to slowly realize that a lot of these kids had kind of been sheltered from other races of people to the point where they didn’t really know how to be racially sensitive,” said Yarde, 17, who graduated Monday. “It seemed like kids were either automatically intimidated by me, or they immediately undermined me.”

OMG. OMG. Sorry but I'm not buying her story. 'intense stares', 'intimidated by me', 'immediately undermined me'. Spare me your woke nonsense.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:18 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post

Cool, cool. We're friends with a Polish and Trini couple, a good friend and best maid at our wedding is of Jamaican descent, and I went to college and am friends with several Jamaicans. Clearly they all missed your memo, so I'll try passing that on to them and their parents given your extensive knowledge of the Caribbean Black community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City