Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 12:41 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Those accomplishments also completely discredit everything else she claims.

Imagine a similar article about white kids stuck going to school in Brownsville? The odds of that ever being published are zilch to even zilcher.

Walk me through your logic on that. Why does her doing well academically mean that she didn't experience what she perceived as racist comments or actions or that she cannot have some level of regret from not going an alternate path, in her case to a different school, which is something that people think about regardless of what race they are? I wonder about different routes I could have taken and whether that was a better or worse decision and I'm surprisingly not a teenage black girl in a specialized high school.

I would be interested in reading a publication about being a white kid going to school in Brownsville. I assume you mean white non-hispanic / non-arab / not minority-ish? I wonder if there are many of these or if there are kids and their families aspiring to be that given all the socioeconomic advantages and opportunities with which that correlates.

I will say though, I do think there should be more seats at good schools in the NYC public school system overall. I think opening up a decent CUNY maybe modeled after something like Guttman near Broadway Junction and with it a magnet high school (which is how a lot of the more recent specialized high schools operate) would be a pretty good idea. That's not quite Brownsville, but it's close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 12:45 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
sorry i call BS
I went to a specialized HS 20 years ago and never heard racial insults being hurled at the black students and neither did a friend who went to Stuyvesant who is black - and there are hardly any black students there. And there is less racism being taught to kids by racist parents than there was 20 years ago.

These stares etc she mentioned were probably her being self conscious based on nonsense her parents fed her.
I'm not disputing her gpa or what college she is going to.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:46 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Carribeans Blacks in NYC hate whites and Asians. I'd bet that she grew up.in a household that taught her Whites are racists and Chinese all cheat and only help their own.

This kid was posioned by her parents.
Nope they mostly hate American born blacks.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:48 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
So today is Tuesday. Article says she graduated yesterday. Clearly this divisionary piece was in the works for more than 1 day.

She either successfully worked hard and killed it, getting involved in extra-curriculars with kids who treated her like garbage, or she's lying. She either focused all her energy and hard work on successfully making her way through this tough school and onto college, or she focused on remembering for 4 whole years the stares of her first day of school, which immediately became a hit piece the day after her graduation.

It's nonsense. I don't need to parse it in an intellectual manner to see it.

On this topic, the country clearly falls into two camps. I see it the way I see it. This article is biased bunk, more race-dividing filth to pile on the dumpsters full we're slammed with every day.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-22-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
So today is Tuesday. Article says she graduated yesterday. So clearly this was in the works.

She either successfully worked hard and killed it, getting involved in extra-curriculars with kids who treated her like garbage, or she's lying. She either focused all her energy and hard work on successfully making her way through this tough school and onto college, or she focused on remembering for 4 whole years that stares of her first day of school, which immediately became a hit piece the day after her graduation.

It's nonsense. I don't need to parse it in an intellectual manner to see it.

On this topic, the country clearly falls into two camps. I see it the way I see it. This article is biased bunk, more race-dividing filth to pile on the dumpsters full we're slammed with every day.

The article says she's already accepted to Northeastern, so yea, she does seem to have done well for herself.

You can have negative things happen to you and still have good things happen and worked hard and come out the other side. It also doesn't mean every single person there treated her poorly or that she crawled under a rock and died. I am sure you understand that. It's not really much of an intellectual exercise, because it's almost a given that most people have gone through things that had aspects of it that weren't great, but have adjusted and ultimately did well for themselves even if there were some parts of it that were trying.

I think dividing everything into two camps can be silly because there is actually complexity that exists and there are more than one single factor when you're talking about anything that goes beyond a certain degree of complexity. It also means forcing everything into two categories when there are a lot of things that don't necessarily align with or have much to do with each other in any reasonable way.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:57 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I'm sorry, I suppose the overwhelming, nonstop wave of "whites and asians bad in every aspect of our society" makes me very disinclined to believe stories like this, especially since it's a biased source specifically focused on "finding" situations like hers (supposedly).

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-22-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
sorry i call BS
I went to a specialized HS 20 years ago and never heard racial insults being hurled at the black students and neither did a friend who went to Stuyvesant who is black - and there are hardly any black students there. And there is less racism being taught to kids by racist parents than there was 20 years ago.

These stares etc she mentioned were probably her being self conscious based on nonsense her parents fed her.
I'm not disputing her gpa or what college she is going to.

I have to thank you because before me noticing your posts, I had never given real thought to experimenting with different mustards such as dijon in my coleslaws and it's really taken me further away from mayo-based slaws which I admit were the wrong path I took for much too long.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I suppose the overwhelming, nonstop wave of "whites and asians bad in every aspect of our society" makes me very disinclined to believe stories like this, especially since it's a biased source specifically focused on "finding" situations like hers (supposedly).
I get that as I've definitely met people who seem to force every goddamn thing into some singular political ideology and it's annoying. It's especially annoying when things said are internally incoherent and don't even seem to fit within itself. I agree that sources as all sources arguably can have biases and this one certainly has its own political ideology. However, that being the case doesn't mean that her situation is by default made up or that what she's saying is internally inconsistent.

I think this kind of hit a chord with me because I came up also visibly different, but not due to race so much as due to poverty where I was very obviously and visibly less well off than other people in my school and there were a lot of backhanded comments I heard some intentional and some not that were kind of ****ty. I definitely didn't like that part, but it wasn't everyone, it wasn't all the time, and I ended up doing really well in school even with being singled out on occasions in a negative way for something I had little control over. It could be terrible at times, but crawling under a rock probably would have made things a lot worse and I looked forward to what happens afterwards instead. I don't think there was anything unbelievable about what she said, because I do think it's possible for some high school kids to be jerks sometimes.

Anyhow, the story if you believe it seems to paint her as having a good head on her and being conscious of not taking it to heart, so that seems good and healthy. I came out of reading it more with a "good on her" impression than anything.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-22-2021 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-22-2021, 01:41 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Interesting read. Interesting perspective.

https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2021/6/21/2...shes-she-hadnt
from the article:

As Yarde considered where to go to college, she originally focused on applying to historically Black colleges and universities, or HBCUs. She said she had experienced enough racial trauma in high school and was ready for something different.

But having survived high school, Yarde also felt empowered to apply to any school that appealed to her. She visited Northeastern’s campus during her junior year and was attracted to the school’s co-op program, which alternates semesters of academic study with periods of full-time work. When she learned that Northeastern’s student body is about 3% Black — mirroring the demographics of her high school — she decided she would not let that stop her from applying.

Northeastern University (NU or NEU) is a private research university with its main campus in Boston. Established in 1898, the university offers undergraduate and graduate programs on its main campus in Boston as well as satellite campuses in Charlotte, North Carolina; Seattle, Washington; San Jose, California; San Francisco, California; Portland, Maine; and Toronto and Vancouver in Canada. In 2019, Northeastern purchased the New College of the Humanities in London, England.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:12 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
People who think that it undermines her story that she managed to do well...do you ever, I don't know, meet people outside your angry shut-in forums?

”a white kid going to school in Brownsville. I assume you mean white non-hispanic / non-arab / not minority-ish? I wonder if there are many of these or if there are kids and their families aspiring to be that given all the socioeconomic advantages and opportunities with which that correlates”

I went to overwhelmingly Black schools as a kid. My parents didn't ”aspire” to send me there; we didn't really have an option other than public school. I faced a modest amount of racial hostility, but we were all poor to very poor kids in a tough environment, and more focused on that. I don't want to hold myself up as some kind of paragon of racial enlightenment, I have my prejudices and blind spots like everyone, but I learned how to cope when my race wasn't the default, which most white people never do.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:35 PM

262 posts, read 149,943 times
specialized high schools are racist, that's the message I'm getting after reading about her experience.

shut them all down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City