Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 05:10 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times

Advertisements

I'm sure. Doormen and the bldg maintenance crew have a bunch of stories to tell. During the pandemic, I've gotten to know them because at the time it seemed I and only a handful of residents were in the entire bldg. The stories they shared with me. Who's the trouble maker, who holds the wildest parties, who's the player, who's the multi millionaire but a cheapskate and uses the shelters to get free meals! lol.

https://eastsidefeed.com/odds-and-en...erm=2021-06-28

If you haven’t had a chance to follow @Eastdoorman on Twitter, you should. Not only will essential Upper East Side updates and neighborhood recommendations pop up on your feed, but you’ll also get a regular dose of some quintessential “only in New York” nuggets.

We recently spoke to the man behind the tweets on the condition of anonymity, as he wished to respect the privacy of his tenants. We can’t share his name or his work address. But we can tell you he’s been working as a doorman all over the city for ten years, after starting out as a maintenance worker at his current building on East 72nd Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 12:28 AM

245 posts, read 341,981 times
Interesting... Will definitely follow on the blue bird as a fellow concierge/doorman myself. I can definitely relate!

Old 06-29-2021, 07:06 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Im a doorman myself, and im glad my workplace has been the exact opposite of what hes experienced. That may change as some move in to vacancies. He has some wild stories, and I hope to learn from them too.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:18 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,746 times
As a former real estate agent here in nyc i use to be super friendly with doormen and supers, lots of gossip and stories indeed lol.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:25 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,027,743 times
I used to work security at Rockefeller Center. The stories I can tell. I'll give you all a freebie.

The nondescript men in ball caps, tshirts, and shorts who get waved through security are couriers for Jewish diamond dealers. Their bookbags are stuffed with millions in uncut gems. They got really mad when we had to search them for security purposes in the years after 9/11. Someone made a call to several levels above me and we were told to stand down. This backfired on them when one of the couriers turned out to be a thief and stole a collection of diamonds. When the old Jewish owner came down to scream at the guards (thankfully not on my shift) my boss produced the written and signed request that he had put in telling us to let his employees through w/o a check.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:52 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,605,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
I used to work security at Rockefeller Center. The stories I can tell. I'll give you all a freebie.

The nondescript men in ball caps, tshirts, and shorts who get waved through security are couriers for Jewish diamond dealers. Their bookbags are stuffed with millions in uncut gems. They got really mad when we had to search them for security purposes in the years after 9/11. Someone made a call to several levels above me and we were told to stand down. This backfired on them when one of the couriers turned out to be a thief and stole a collection of diamonds. When the old Jewish owner came down to scream at the guards (thankfully not on my shift) my boss produced the written and signed request that he had put in telling us to let his employees through w/o a check.
Why are diamond dealers coming to Rockefeller center?

Old 07-01-2021, 05:49 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
I would recommend watching episodes of the Chosen instead of reading this filth.

Old 07-01-2021, 12:30 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,027,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Why are diamond dealers coming to Rockefeller center?
B/c it's right next door and the infrastructure in the Diamond District is poor - crumbling, noisy, etc. The other reason is class or perceived status. The ones who cater to a wealthier clientele don't need to advertise their wares in a shop window at ground level. They have a nice office overlooking midtown and have secretaries who serve tea, fruit juices, and pastries while playing classical music. I know. I've been on patrol on those floors.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:53 PM

528 posts, read 711,337 times
Rule #1 of the Internet: Don't believe anything that anyone can make up and nobody can verify

Old 07-02-2021, 05:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote fron last night's TV:

"The internet wouldn't lie, would it?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City