Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 01:55 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Smart people if you ask me !!!! Lol. On that strength alone give them their little Paris. They know their worth.

I don't care if you tell me something costs $2, I am going to see if I can get it for $1.50. I take my negotiating skills everywhere. Stores, luxury car dealerships, five star hotels. When we bought one of our houses the bank and the seller were complaining how much money they lost lol. I am negotiating those fees!

And It works 70% of the time!
Not the French. I will NOT lower my price! That's their favorite line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 02:47 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
There are plenty of competent teachers of French in Quebec, and the vernacular isn't what would be taught, but rather, as we call it here; International French.

You are stuck in another century.

I am not sure that many people want to learn Castilian Spanish at all costs. Of course, if you like pushing your tongue to your teeth to expel what passes for an "S" sound elsewhere in the Spanish speaking world, by all means, do.
I am definitely not stuck in another century. It's not just pronunciation. It's the vocabulary and grammar that is very different, but you are obviously unfamiliar with European Spanish dialects. If you have a child, you want your child to be able to communicate with your European family, if that's where you were educated and you have that option. My father never suggested that I stop studying Spanish. He was just disappointed.

My posts were about kids, not adults. Did you open my the links that I posted? Like I said in my original post, the seed money for the grant came from FRANCE, not CANADA. Most of the French mothers involved in the program and who pushed for it would deal with their children learning French from a French Canadian since the program is free, but it is definitely not going to be their first choice. Anyway, the point is moot since the program was not initiated from Canada. Do you teach bilingual prek? Which DOE school?

My point was that there was, pre-pandemic at least, enough French (from France) in NYC to support bllingual Public school French programs. The program is in a bit of turmoil right now since so many children were withdrawn from DOE schools, not just French kids.

We seem to be talking about 2 different topics here. You're speaking about adults and I am posting about French education in DOE schools.

Last edited by Coney; 07-05-2021 at 03:01 PM..

Old 07-05-2021, 04:30 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,126,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I am definitely not stuck in another century. It's not just pronunciation. It's the vocabulary and grammar that is very different, but you are obviously unfamiliar with European Spanish dialects. If you have a child, you want your child to be able to communicate with your European family, if that's where you were educated and you have that option. My father never suggested that I stop studying Spanish. He was just disappointed.

My posts were about kids, not adults. Did you open my the links that I posted? Like I said in my original post, the seed money for the grant came from FRANCE, not CANADA. Most of the French mothers involved in the program and who pushed for it would deal with their children learning French from a French Canadian since the program is free, but it is definitely not going to be their first choice. Anyway, the point is moot since the program was not initiated from Canada. Do you teach bilingual prek? Which DOE school?

My point was that there was, pre-pandemic at least, enough French (from France) in NYC to support bllingual Public school French programs. The program is in a bit of turmoil right now since so many children were withdrawn from DOE schools, not just French kids.

We seem to be talking about 2 different topics here. You're speaking about adults and I am posting about French education in DOE schools.

Well, my suggestion is that you can't be so categorical about the origin of teachers. Sure, if France pays for it, their interest may be an ambassadorial one. Fair enough. The Quebec government has been funding programs to reinvigorate the French environment in Louisiana for many years now. Obviously, they had a say about what teachers were involved in these schemes.

As far as dialects go, New France was the first territory to have French be the exclusive lingua franca in administration and daily transactions in the populace. France in the 16th up to the 20th century, like a lot of European countries had a plethora of languages, let alone dialects on its territory. Quebec, apart from the many native languages, had basically French as its main connector, up until the British conquest, when English became the other prime language.

My problem witht the kind of snobbery that you mentioned emanating from (?)moms, is that it doesn't address the variety of human experience. One of the main issues in French culture generally, has been the Paris-centric view of the Francophone world. French people from the Provinces reject that view, and the further you move away from the "métropole", the less sense it makes to be beholdened to an academical centralized descriptive of French culture. I love Europe, and France, and Paris in particular, but I am not bound by a copyright law when using my peculiar brand of French. That is the nice thing about Quebec, we stopped being colonized in that way, and eventually managed to shed a lot of the shackles due to the English domination over a couple of centuries.

Like I said earlier, New Yorkers are not to be told that their brand(s) of English are not viable either. Same goes for Argentinians or Cubans when it comes down to Spanish.

Old 07-05-2021, 04:34 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
BNP Paribas (BNPP) is another client of ours. I didn't mention BNPP as a mid sized bank. The other two I mentioned, while big, are not as big as some of the others. Natixis is 19th on this list... A lot of people I have interacted with on projects with at Natixis, they move on to bigger and better, so yes, they could be described as a mid sized bank. Work culture is not as great as at some of the other banks, and they are said to still have a rather French centric view on how to run things. That can stymie growth, esp. for a bank that has such sizable international presence.
19th but we are talking about $1.7/1.8B total assets, only $200m behind Wells Fargo, I don't think you can call a bank like that "small".

Whether people move on to other banks is a completely different matter. You could be working at JPM and still move on because you can't go up, it doesn't tell much about the bank itself, but that's just my opinion.

But I do get your point as well.

Old 07-05-2021, 04:38 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,018 times
Quote:
Lol. Depends very much on whose mother you are talking about. Besides, French people are falling over themselves wanting to emigrate to Quebec. It never occured to you that the English spoken in London is not the
same as that spoken in New York, and yet, they are both English.
It's a bit different though, I think we are more talking about a Scottish level thickness of accent with sometimes a choice of vocabulary or expression that would mystify many French. The first time I went to Quebec for work, I was very lost, it was not easy, and I pride myself as speaking quite well the language, even for a French citizen.

One example: they have translated many of the financial vocabulary. While it's possible, in France, we would stick to the English terms, for simplicity, with maybe a French pronunciation. Imagine my surprise when people talked to me about APR and PCR. They actually meant "actifs à risques pondérés" and "pertes en cas de défaut", or risk weighted assets and loss given default. The first time, it did crack me up, but we found an "agreement": we would all speak the way we normally do, and whenever we hear the other term, we would make the translation mentally.

Of course, it's not the end of the world and people can communicate, they just need to explain what they meant the first time.
For what it's worth, people from Quebec make a lot of effort to be intelligible when they realize you are not from Quebec. They should
be praised for that, I think it's very nice of them.

But I can completely understand a French mother willing to make sure her children learn French the way she thinks it should be taught, and spoken.

Last edited by Gasolin; 07-05-2021 at 04:58 PM..

Old 07-05-2021, 05:44 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
19th but we are talking about $1.7/1.8B total assets, only $200m behind Wells Fargo, I don't think you can call a bank like that "small".

Whether people move on to other banks is a completely different matter. You could be working at JPM and still move on because you can't go up, it doesn't tell much about the bank itself, but that's just my opinion.

But I do get your point as well.
The fact that Wells Fargo is actually ahead of them kind of makes my point. Wells Fargo has been a disaster for years. That new guy (Scharf) has come in and is turning things around though, so they are kind of on the upswing now. I didn't say Natixis was small. I said "mid-sized". They could perhaps play with the big boys if they made some changes in how things were run, but my point about mentioning people leaving Natixis is the top banks attract the best talent, and nothing about their work culture screams someone coming there and staying there long-term, so it's a stepping stone for bigger and better. I've heard their overall package compared to the bigger banks lacks a bit, particularly things like vacation time, etc.

They are kind of like Goldman Sachs in a way. Old-school and rigid, but in a French way in terms of work culture.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:00 PM

26,878 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
There are plenty of competent teachers of French in Quebec, and the vernacular isn't what would be taught, but rather, as we call it here; International French.

You are stuck in another century.
Yeah. "Teaching Québécois French" isn't actually a thing. There is no such thing as a Quebec French grammar book, and dictionaries of Quebec French are novelty items (like books on how to speak "Southern") as opposed to teaching tools.

Anyone from Quebec who'd be qualified to be a French teacher (especially to work internationally) would be just as good as anyone else.

Though I am also realistic enough to know that a number of parents in NYC would probably prefer that their kids take on the Parisian accent (they probably don't want a Marseille accent either). That said, if you're a kid learning French in NYC, you're probably going to speak it with an anglo accent anyway. One teacher from Quebec even from time to time isn't going to turn a New York kid (even born of French parents) into Céline Dion accent-wise.

Quote:
I am not sure that many people want to learn Castilian Spanish at all costs. Of course, if you like pushing your tongue to your teeth to expel what passes for an "S" sound elsewhere in the Spanish speaking world, by all means, do.
I have only ever learned Latin American Spanish, and never had any issues communicating in Spain. Though sometimes there are differences (like jugo vs zumo) but they're easily worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City