Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 06:12 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,323,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriefOneNYC View Post
Donuts aren’t to be eaten with coffee?? C’mon, now who’s being ridiculous?
Not at all. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to my coffee.... I admit I'm a coffee snob (definitely cannot do Starbucks nor Dunkin' - Starbucks is over roasted crap, and Dunkin' is poor quality crap, that is also watered down to boot)... I like to enjoy the coffee by itself (preferably organic coffee, with shots pulled by baristas that know about coffee and appreciate it, hence I only do specialty coffee shops), even though I usually buy a pastry on the side, but it is usually eaten at a later time with milk or sparkling water or something along those lines to balance the sweetness. I rarely drink any sugary drinks, and often times do not put any sugar in my coffee unless it is exceedingly acidic and tart. Black Fox Coffee and Bluestone Lane both serve coffee that is a bit more acidic than I'd like, so I add a tad bit of Sugar in the Raw to my espresso drinks. For Little Collins though, I never add sugar, as their espresso drinks are quit smooth and balanced, and they don't put out any sugar either. You have to ask for it if you want it. The same is true with Blue Bottle. No sugar needed. For La Colombe and Birch, it varies on which barista pulls the shots and makes the coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 06:25 PM

111 posts, read 142,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, that makes sense. You have your preferences, and other people have theirs. However, it seemed like the disagreement was initially about value and so these donuts being pricier than others is somewhat blunted by these donuts also being 2 or 3 times larger than donuts elsewhere, so the value proposition isn't quite so bad for people who want a lot of donut at once, are happy to save some for later, and/or split it with someone close to them. I like the Dough donuts occasionally, but I usually split them with my wife or split them with friends at work or at a picnic. They are pretty good though I'm more into maple bars or a nice and airy french crueller. I haven't been able to find any of the latter that I felt were anywhere near as good as the ones in southern California.
Some of the donuts at these places are regular size and still cost $3-4. Don’t get me wrong, a lot of these gourmet donut places are good and I don’t mind them occasionally but let’s remember we’re talking about the best donuts here and I think people often conflate price with quality. I do respect the work that goes into making them but it’s still just a donut. I feel the same way about pizza. Artichoke for example is pretty good and you do get your money’s worth but is it the best? Not by a long shot. In my opinion of course.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Not at all. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to my coffee.... I admit I'm a coffee snob (definitely cannot do Starbucks nor Dunkin' - Starbucks is over roasted crap, and Dunkin' is poor quality crap, that is also watered down to boot)... I like to enjoy the coffee by itself (preferably organic coffee, with shots pulled by baristas that know about coffee and appreciate it, hence I only do specialty coffee shops), even though I usually buy a pastry on the side, but it is usually eaten at a later time with milk or sparkling water or something along those lines to balance the sweetness. I rarely drink any sugary drinks, and often times do not put any sugar in my coffee unless it is exceedingly acidic and tart. Black Fox Coffee and Bluestone Lane both serve coffee that is a bit more acidic than I'd like, so I add a tad bit of Sugar in the Raw to my espresso drinks. For Little Collins though, I never add sugar, as their espresso drinks are quit smooth and balanced, and they don't put out any sugar either. You have to ask for it if you want it. The same is true with Blue Bottle. No sugar needed. For La Colombe and Birch, it varies on which barista pulls the shots and makes the coffee.
Coffee may be one of the only things I don’t mind paying premium for when it comes to daily food and beverage. Although I do make my own at home everyday now because i was spending way too much. I drink my coffee black no sugar. I’m actually gonna look into the ones you mentioned so thanks. And I also don’t drink any sugary drinks except the occasional Gatorade while I’m working in this heat.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:02 PM

37,264 posts, read 39,557,895 times
Quote:
Some of the donuts at these places are regular size and still cost $3-4. Don’t get me wrong, a lot of these gourmet donut places are good and I don’t mind them occasionally but let’s remember we’re talking about the best donuts here and I think people often conflate price with quality. I do respect the work that goes into making them but it’s still just a donut. I feel the same way about pizza. Artichoke for example is pretty good and you do get your money’s worth but is it the best? Not by a long shot. In my opinion of course.

Yea, I understand different preferences (and I don't much like Artichoke pizza). Dough donuts specifically are large though, and so take the edge off the price quite a bit. Like with pizza and other round things, a small increase in diameter is actually a sizable increase in surface area, and in Dough's case, a larger increase in volume as well so it's quite a bit of donut. The original maker of the Dough donuts also has her own shop called Fan Fan Donuts which are more regular-sized and less dense. I like Peter Pan, too. They're just different sorts of donuts.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:24 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,725,891 times
Doughnut Plant has higher quality ingredients and their large donuts are $4.50 - $4.95

They also have regular sized donuts but those are all cake type, are of different flavors and are
$3.45 - $3.75

Dunkin in NY price is $1.49

Obviously Dunkin knows the optimum size, it's the regular size.
So why aren't Doughnut Plant and DOUGH's donut all regular size? (DOUGH doesn't have any regular sized)

I think because they don't want people to make a one to one price comparison with a regular sized donut so that's why they make them bigger, It's a hustle

They don't want you to see that their donut is over twice as expensive for the same size
(although Doughnut Plant does have half their donuts regular size and could weigh more but I'm not sure)

They want you to see that some flavors you can only get big so that you get a little distracted from the price of the regular sized donuts.

I suspect that if Dunkin Donuts didn't exist and the more common donuts of regular size their donuts would not be big.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:49 PM

1,046 posts, read 470,796 times
My litmus test for pricing is... can I make this myself? If the answer is no, I'm pretty much willing to pay whatever for someone else to do it for me.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:18 AM

870 posts, read 417,642 times
Quote:
Artichoke is pure garbage... pure grease for your arteries. The only times you can really appreciate an Artichoke slice is after binge drinking at 3 AM.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:22 AM

870 posts, read 417,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I understand different preferences (and I don't much like Artichoke pizza). Dough donuts specifically are large though, and so take the edge off the price quite a bit. Like with pizza and other round things, a small increase in diameter is actually a sizable increase in surface area, and in Dough's case, a larger increase in volume as well so it's quite a bit of donut. The original maker of the Dough donuts also has her own shop called Fan Fan Donuts which are more regular-sized and less dense. I like Peter Pan, too. They're just different sorts of donuts.
Dough's Donuts are massive, and their texture is different. But still, ten years ago they were "only" $2.95 a piece.
FanFan (Fany Gerson) is the chef that used to work for the original founder of Dough, before their mega beef.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Artichoke is pure garbage... pure grease for your arteries. The only times you can really appreciate an Artichoke slice is after binge drinking at 3 AM.
That’s my point. And yet they get away with charging $5 a slice.

Old 07-08-2021, 05:37 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,323,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Doughnut Plant has higher quality ingredients and their large donuts are $4.50 - $4.95

They also have regular sized donuts but those are all cake type, are of different flavors and are
$3.45 - $3.75

Dunkin in NY price is $1.49

Obviously Dunkin knows the optimum size, it's the regular size.
So why aren't Doughnut Plant and DOUGH's donut all regular size? (DOUGH doesn't have any regular sized)

I think because they don't want people to make a one to one price comparison with a regular sized donut so that's why they make them bigger, It's a hustle

They don't want you to see that their donut is over twice as expensive for the same size
(although Doughnut Plant does have half their donuts regular size and could weigh more but I'm not sure)

They want you to see that some flavors you can only get big so that you get a little distracted from the price of the regular sized donuts.

I suspect that if Dunkin Donuts didn't exist and the more common donuts of regular size their donuts would not be big.
Uh excuse me, but Dough DOES have regular sized. Their nutella donuts are not gigantic. Off the top of my head that is one of the few donuts that they sell with filling inside. Nothing else comes to mind at the moment that I've tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City