Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 07:24 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times

Advertisements

https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-launc...ba264-91331958

The city's summer school program is undergoing a dramatic change, as Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Tuesday a new city-wide program to offer schooling and social support this summer to help K-12 kids with academic skills and enrichment while providing families with childcare.

Called "Summer Rising," the $120 million program will offer different schedules based on grade level, with the youngest students receiving the most amount of time in the program: five days a week for seven weeks. Students with specialized learning plans that include year-round schooling can participate for six weeks, five days a week. Middle schoolers get a four-day program for six weeks. High schoolers can sign up for a five-week program with flexible schedules, and can also participate in the city’s paid Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) and the Public Schools Athletic League.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 01:15 PM

596 posts, read 253,196 times
a summer program cant replace what a year lost?

NYC public school system needs to adopt Germany. Teach trades craft or skills that employers want today with the option of college on the table. Many don't attend University due to cost, so we should stop educating our kids as college being the end goal for HS. They don't need to learn calculus trigonometry or why the French Revolution started if they will forget it at age 21. Wikipedia, Books and Reddit exists for that. First real job they get never use any of that knowledge because job doesn't require it. World building and "general" knowledge can be acquired on your own time. You should be going to school with an agenda and to learn how to become a productive member of society upon graduation. So if you wanna be a mechanic that's what you learn in HS. If you wanna go to college, then master the SAT and participate in extracurricular activities. If you want to be in IT then take boot camp coding courses while in HS. If you want to serve your country, create ROC programs for youths.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:43 PM

2,450 posts, read 973,819 times
Summer school? This is de Blasio's great idea? Idiot.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:47 PM

644 posts, read 307,669 times
I'm still waiting for the catch. This is so unlike this entire year, I'm positive there's a catch somewhere. Also trying to not get my hopes up, cause this summer is shaping up to be a monster at work and we don't really have $ for camp any more.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:54 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
So negative. I would rather there be summer school than nothing. Judging by what I have heard from teachers, students will need all the class time they can get. I think it should be year round if not to make up for lost time.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:23 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
So negative. I would rather there be summer school than nothing. Judging by what I have heard from teachers, students will need all the class time they can get. I think it should be year round if not to make up for lost time.
Yep. The whole school year has been a mess for most. This is at least something. Make lemonade out of lemons life throws at you. That's life.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:33 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,168,005 times
Here's a idea OPEN THE DAMN SCHOOLS!!!

Old 04-16-2021, 01:40 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,831 times
Summer kids are dumber kids.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:48 PM

596 posts, read 253,196 times
something better than nothing leads to more nothing.

This again is another example of mismanagement and bloat.

Old 06-01-2021, 02:36 PM

79 posts, read 156,234 times
Did anyone apply to this program? I actually selected a program that is out-of-district, because it is affiliated with the YMCA, and my child was accepted. But M-F, 8am-6pm....that's intense, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City