Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 07:24 PM

1,399 posts, read 885,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
There are less bureaucracy and union labor requirements outside of NYC.
More bureaucracy, certainly. But every construction site i walk past nowadays is full of non english speaking non union most likely illegals. Chinese, Mexicans and eastern Europeans in that order. Leftists used to cater to blue collar voters, who started voting red so now they cater to illegal criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 07:36 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,289,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
More bureaucracy, certainly. But every construction site i walk past nowadays is full of non english speaking non union most likely illegals. Chinese, Mexicans and eastern Europeans in that order. Leftists used to cater to blue collar voters, who started voting red so now they cater to illegal criminals.
The presence of immigrant workers does not change the on paper requirements. Plus in my limited experience everyone has their strong points.

Construction work has less to do with votes and more to do with skills and competency.

Eastern Europeans and Greeks are extremely good at carpentry. Brazilians and Italians are good at tiling.

Italians tiles are leaders in the tile industry for those in the know.

Chinese are actually good at laying hardwood floors putting up sheetrocks etc

Bangladeshis and Pakistanis are phenomenal with brick work.

Hispanics are very good at pouring concrete.

And this is not me stereotyping. I also invest in real estate.

I don't care about voting record when I hire. I want someone who will do the job well and are reliable.

I tried hiring union guys as side jobs and it just didn't work out. They are just too set in their ways.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:44 PM

1,399 posts, read 885,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
The presence of immigrant workers does not change the on paper requirements. Plus in my limited experience everyone has their strong points.

Construction work has less to do with votes and more to do with skills and competency.

Eastern Europeans and Greeks are extremely good at carpentry. Brazilians and Italians are good at tiling.

Italians tiles are leaders in the tile industry for those in the know.

Chinese are actually good at laying hardwood floors putting up sheetrocks etc

Bangladeshis and Pakistanis are phenomenal with brick work.

Hispanics are very good at pouring concrete.

And this is not me stereotyping. I also invest in real estate.

I don't care about voting record when I hire. I want someone who will do the job well and are reliable.

I tried hiring union guys as side jobs and it just didn't work out. They are just too set in their ways.
All that or it just has to do with cost

Old 07-04-2021, 09:27 PM

255 posts, read 145,583 times
why bother doing major renovating or bring things up to modern standards when someone will buy it up right away over asking price?

Old 07-05-2021, 06:09 AM

1,034 posts, read 442,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I have served as a board member of two organizations that have 100+ year old buildings (which have central air added).
The problem in many cases isn't the actual engineering and work. It's all of the bureaucracy and cost.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:03 AM

15,941 posts, read 6,724,875 times
It is a sellers market as long as big paying jobs are nearby.
Lose the jobs you lose the leverage. Covid has created a
sellers market just across the city bridges.
Homes selling 3 to 5 days. Why?
Answer: Fight or Flight.

People are tired of fighting and have chosen to leave.
high paying Jobs will soon follow as their are few to fill them.

Will people and high paying jobs ever return?
I believe only Republican Mayor can fix New York City.
Transfer Crime control back to the Police Department.
Reignite Broken Windows Policy.
Make people feel safe once again.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:27 AM
PVW

287 posts, read 163,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Lots of leftist New Yorkers tell themselves buzzword excuses such as 'diversity' and 'culture' to justify the low qol that they put up with. Have a coworker who worked in the south bronx the other day and said he saw transplant white girls walking their poodles by themselves. Said she was showing lots of skin too. He googled the price of those new waterfront buildings and "affordable" studios start at 2k/month. There's a sucker born every minute.
You are testifying to some truth here!

Old 07-05-2021, 11:20 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,402,493 times
Great Thread.

Why was I paying close to $5K a month and having to use a portable heater to heat my room and why was my bathroom the size of a closet ?

I want my money back !

Old 07-05-2021, 11:39 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,807,379 times
Sometimes they like the “character” of the building. Although the truly “affluent” people’s homes don’t compromise. The general housing stock is older, so the facade may not be dazzling, but the inside of some of those places are not what you describe. I have a friend who lives in NY who does well but would not likely be considered affluent. His place is not that large and the exterior of the building isn’t super attractive, but it is very luxurious inside (albeit somewhat small for what he could get in other cities). But it’s New York so you pay a premium.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:23 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,556,477 times
The facades of old buildings look nicer if anything

New apartment buildings are bland 9/10 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: