Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 08:13 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,539 times

Advertisements

Anyone know?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 05:01 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
I don’t know but I’d give the local branch you’d like to visit a call and see about services there.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:48 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,539 times
I went. Bathroom closed. Horrible WiFi and AC was barely on. Not going back.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:35 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Keep the book warehouses open, that's good taxpayer money being spent, they say

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-08-2021, 08:03 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Keep the book warehouses open, that's good taxpayer money being spent, they say

Why are you so down on libraries? Lots of people like them. And miss them. Especially the seniors. And young people too! I've seen a bunch of high schoolers in there studying and conducting research in the quiet rooms. They're always packed! Some people need places where they can study in peace. Good for kids too. They offer after school programs, conduct classes and are places where they can learn how to socialize in a relatively safe environment. The kids librarians are cool.

They also conduct classes and free seminars for adults. Everything from money management, property management, to investments, real estate, trust funds, elder law and computer programming. I've learned quite a thing or two from them. They also have movie nights. Book nights where authors showcase what they've published (and often give away freebees). Lectures and shows as a way for local groups and clubs to showcase what they've been learning or doing.

They're also convenient as "cooling places" in the summer when you need reprieve from the sun. And for bathroom breaks. And to charge up one's phones. Not everyone can or wants to trek over to the malls or starbucks.

Libraries are convenient. And cool places to hang out in. Browsing the magazine racks and the newspapers or just plop yourself down and rest for awhile to kill some time between appointments. Or to sit down and chat with friends without the pressure of having to buy something in order to do so.

Why are you being such a curmudgeon about it?

Old 07-09-2021, 01:28 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
You can use the bathroom at home, generally find many books online (physical/digital) and have on your own AC/Fan at home.

What was missing that made you go to the library?

Old 07-09-2021, 02:10 AM

1,034 posts, read 446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Why are you so down on libraries? Lots of people like them. And miss them. Especially the seniors. And young people too! I've seen a bunch of high schoolers in there studying and conducting research in the quiet rooms. They're always packed! Some people need places where they can study in peace. Good for kids too. They offer after school programs, conduct classes and are places where they can learn how to socialize in a relatively safe environment. The kids librarians are cool.

They also conduct classes and free seminars for adults. Everything from money management, property management, to investments, real estate, trust funds, elder law and computer programming. I've learned quite a thing or two from them. They also have movie nights. Book nights where authors showcase what they've published (and often give away freebees). Lectures and shows as a way for local groups and clubs to showcase what they've been learning or doing.

They're also convenient as "cooling places" in the summer when you need reprieve from the sun. And for bathroom breaks. And to charge up one's phones. Not everyone can or wants to trek over to the malls or starbucks.

Libraries are convenient. And cool places to hang out in. Browsing the magazine racks and the newspapers or just plop yourself down and rest for awhile to kill some time between appointments. Or to sit down and chat with friends without the pressure of having to buy something in order to do so.

He's rather the money go to supporting someone's weed and liquor habit in NYCHA. Libraries are for whites and Asians so they should be closed.

Last edited by Bklynball; 07-09-2021 at 02:32 AM..

Old 07-09-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

Are they sanitizing the books after they've been returned, do you know?

Old 07-09-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
He's rather the money go to supporting someone's weed and liquor habit in NYCHA. Libraries are for whites and Asians so they should be closed.
Lol, what a statement for somebody who supposedly does not care about race since you were not born here

Do me a favor and keep your biases to yourself.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:38 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Are they sanitizing the books after they've been returned, do you know?
That logic can apply to almost everywhere you go outside of your home. Hand sanitizer is a permanent fixture now. I love libraries and used to go all the time and will again. Whenever I've moved to a new city/state, I get a DL and a library card. You are being cranky about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City