Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 06:35 AM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz2014 View Post
Hey!

Thanks for all the informative responses.

Yeah, I looked online for EZ Pass bridge rates, I wasn't sure if it was roundtrip or one way, so thanks for clarification.

"Verrazano is $6.50 each way and $13.75 for Goethals, and Bayonne is $12.50."

I remember a few years ago, it was like $16 for Verrazano. I guess the price has dropped?

Yeah, SI is an option, but my wife wants to live the "big city" life, so ideally for her, we would be living in the City. So "compromise" is Brooklyn or Jersey City. Its a short term move, 1 year, so I guess we want to have the NYC urban experience...but yeah, obviously not the most financially savvy move...

I say Philadelphia, but she is actually working in Wilmington DE, so like 30 min south of Philly.

I was looking on padmapper, and Brooklyn looks out of reach on price point. A nice apartment in BK (Park Slope/Brooklyn Heights) is like $3600 + parking...I was hoping COVID would have dropped prices, but I guess they have come back up? At least in JC I am finding nice apartments for 2600ish + 250 for a parking spot, so within 3K.

So looks like JC It is....but I'll keep looking in BK just in case I find a nice spot for 3K.

Thanks again all!

P.S - on a side note, if I live in Jersey City, and work in SI, would I pay NY or NJ state income tax?

Will your wife be working near the train station in Wilmington? Wilmington does have a train station with fairly regular service in its downtown that's served by Amtrak and SEPTA.

Where are you coming from? It may be that even St. George, Staten Island is fairly big city life in comparison.

You'd pay NJ state income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 08:52 AM

133 posts, read 203,488 times
Thanks all for the responses.

I guess thats why I posted her, to get expertise opinions.

Yes, SI is obviously the logically correct choice, but as you can tell, I don't call a lot of the shots at home! Partner is doing this move for my job, and making some sacrifices for 1 year, so I guess I have to be somewhat willing to compromise.

Yes, we have no kids, in our 30s, so trying to have a "fun" 1 year in NYC. Hence our peculiar decision of wanting JC or BK. But I will look into SI housing as well, and have further discussions.

If I live in JC, and having to pay NJ state tax (vs NY), I presume that helps a bit financially, as NJ state income tax is lower than NY, correct?

Old 07-09-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Will your wife be working near the train station in Wilmington? Wilmington does have a train station with fairly regular service in its downtown that's served by Amtrak and SEPTA.

Where are you coming from? It may be that even St. George, Staten Island is fairly big city life in comparison.

You'd pay NJ state income tax.
Thanks for helpful post.

We lived in NYC (Manhattan) from 2014-2019, so I guess she kind of misses the city life and wants a final good-bye?!

But yeah, Wilmington everything is close by, like 15 min drive max to train station. So Amtrak is indeed an option from NYC to DE as well.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:55 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
Rent in Brooklyn is going to be dependent on neighborhood - but if commuting to Staten Island and points south then Bay Ridge is definitely a viable and good option - in that case it will probably be less than living in a good building in a good part of Jersey City. Same for most of south Brooklyn. With what you describe though, I'd probably opt for Jersey City.

If you are working in Staten Island, you'd likely get taxes withheld at NY State rate, but you would file returns in both NY and NJ and technically NJ would credit your NY taxes. Numerous articles explain that, but this is one - https://streeteasy.com/blog/live-in-...ew-york-taxes/

Old 07-09-2021, 09:01 AM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Sort of a tangent, but does anyone else feel like they should extend the South Brooklyn NYC ferry service to a stop in Clifton, SI since that's the last stop of the SIR that hugs the shore and is really close to the current Bay Ridge terminus?

Old 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
Rent in Brooklyn is going to be dependent on neighborhood - but if commuting to Staten Island and points south then Bay Ridge is definitely a viable and good option - in that case it will probably be less than living in a good building in a good part of Jersey City. Same for most of south Brooklyn. With what you describe though, I'd probably opt for Jersey City.

If you are working in Staten Island, you'd likely get taxes withheld at NY State rate, but you would file returns in both NY and NJ and technically NJ would credit your NY taxes. Numerous articles explain that, but this is one - https://streeteasy.com/blog/live-in-...ew-york-taxes/
Super helpful link, just read it over, thanks for posting.

So yeah, it appears financially, in addition to cheaper rents (JC - $2700ish versus BK - $3500ish), taxes are also quite a bit lower living in NJ versus BK.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post

I just spoke to a New Yorker, who grew up in NJ and lives in Manhattan now.

She said that if you live in NJ, but work in NYC, you have to pay NYC taxes because the company is based in NYC.

True?

I'm confused now!

Old 07-11-2021, 01:11 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Yes, you pay both. My ex and my wife both had this situation because we lived in NY and they worked in NJ. And now it affects me because we moved to NJ and my company is based in NY.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-11-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Yes, you pay both. My ex and my wife both had this situation because we lived in NY and they worked in NJ. And now it affects me because we moved to NJ and my company is based in NY.
Thanks for clarification.

So you pay double tax, or do you get a refund from one of the states?

Old 07-11-2021, 01:44 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I mean obviously it depends on how you claim and what you make and such, but we never got a NJ refund and usually had to pay a little to NY. Worst part is having to pay extra for tax prep to file in 2 states.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City