Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 08:41 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times

Advertisements

Although business is creeping up in my hotel workplace... it just doesn't seem back & seems like won't be.

Weekends are not as packed as they used to be. Restaurants have people but not really. You go to Columbus Circle on a Friday night , good weather in July and its empty. No cabs , no people, no cars... by 11pm its dead zone. The same goes for Brookyln , Downtown Manhattan & Uptown / Heights.

Midtown is also a ghost town as well. The train during rush hour is about half the people.

I am starting to see the city as forever changed. We all got a taste of staying home and saving money. I am sad to say that it will be a very LONG time until NYC is shadow of what it was pre pandemic. I think with Unemployment money we received it was great . But the true pain will come in Sept when these payments stop ... Thought ?

Old 07-10-2021, 09:45 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
The bridge and tunnel crowd isn't going to the city at all. Office workers may never go back, tourists aren't there. That's almost 2.5 less people in Manhattan per day. This doesn't even account for the people that fled the city to the suburbs or left the state.

NYC won't go back to normal until 2023 at the earliest. Every one I know says i'm not getting on the LIRR ever again. I know NYC folks hate the bridge and tunnel crowd. The lack of this segment is a massive blow to NYC revenue stream. I'm sure the media overblows the crime and homeless issues a bit, its a major deterrent for suburbanites/tourists. People getting attacked in Times Square during the day isn't helping. I think Adams will help get crime under control. DiBlasi is a doofus.

I don't remember the numbers, Suffolk county w/o any federal aid, blew the tax revenue out of the water. 3rd quarter 2020 and beyond are way up over 2019. Im sure the NYC folks now living in the Hamptons was a big part of it.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:46 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
I definitely see the city coming back. It will take a bit of time to "get back to pre-COVID," but I go into Manhattan 2 or 3 times per week and in many areas, it is as crowded as it was.

The subways have definitely jumped up in terms of crowds. Most trains are jammed with people again, and bustling decently well.

The big thing I notice in Manhattan--and parts of Brooklyn--are the vacant store fronts. Store fronts in prime west village and prime Williamsburg or prime midtown that are shuttered due to COVID-19. Those will take a while to fill back up.

But this happened to every city in the US, as-a-result of COVID-19.

I think NYC is definitely getting back into the way it was before COVID hit. It will take some areas a bit longer than others, but it's on its way.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:52 PM

5,679 posts, read 2,610,110 times
Ya'll need to stop. It's not the Ghost town it was a year ago. I was out in Union square and Hells kitchen last night. Both areas were busy. Took the train home early in the morning. Good amount of people on the train.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:05 PM

173 posts, read 147,233 times
Seriously... New York is fine. Plenty crowded during most of the days, especially on weekends, just minus the foreign tourists. You bet people are dying to travel here once they can. Even Midtown, though not quite 100% back, has quite a crowd during the weekday work hours. Once September rolls around, even more office workers will be back.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:58 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpable View Post
Seriously... New York is fine. Plenty crowded during most of the days, especially on weekends, just minus the foreign tourists. You bet people are dying to travel here once they can. Even Midtown, though not quite 100% back, has quite a crowd during the weekday work hours. Once September rolls around, even more office workers will be back.
I see a lot of younger people at these outdoor bar shacks. They look like they might be some of these office workers in finance, tech , design, who never lost their jobs and might be working at home but they are still in their apartments. But retail and restaurants are a different story, lots of them went out of business or are struggling

My feeling just by looking is that the the streets look like they have 30-40% less people
The wild card is the Delta Variant

Last edited by jonbenson; 07-11-2021 at 12:21 AM..

Old 07-11-2021, 02:42 AM

788 posts, read 486,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
The bridge and tunnel crowd isn't going to the city at all. Office workers may never go back, tourists aren't there. That's almost 2.5 less people in Manhattan per day. This doesn't even account for the people that fled the city to the suburbs or left the state.

NYC won't go back to normal until 2023 at the earliest. Every one I know says i'm not getting on the LIRR ever again. I know NYC folks hate the bridge and tunnel crowd. The lack of this segment is a massive blow to NYC revenue stream. I'm sure the media overblows the crime and homeless issues a bit, its a major deterrent for suburbanites/tourists. People getting attacked in Times Square during the day isn't helping. I think Adams will help get crime under control. DiBlasi is a doofus.

I don't remember the numbers, Suffolk county w/o any federal aid, blew the tax revenue out of the water. 3rd quarter 2020 and beyond are way up over 2019. Im sure the NYC folks now living in the Hamptons was a big part of it.
Not sure if you're a native or not but by "NYC folks" I hope you mean Manhattanites. And, as we all know, the real authentic born/raised NYers are in fact the bridge and tunnel crowd (SI, Queens, BK and the BX), not transients who live in Manhattan. NJ don't count.

But I do agree with your post otherwise. As a 49 yr old, one observation I've had in all of the boroughs, is that it's really the under 40 crowd that is out and about, especially at night. The over 40 nightlife has been hard to find (trust me I been looking...all of my hangouts have closed since covid). Even your typical borough dive bar is quiet, which surprises me since I figured they'd be packed once they all opened again to 4am. Even Astoria is quiet other than some of the hood joints.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:47 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Humans beings are the most adaptive species on planet Earth, but they are the most resistant to change

Wonder if the dinosaurs was acting like this

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-11-2021, 06:30 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,467,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Ya'll need to stop. It's not the Ghost town it was a year ago. I was out in Union square and Hells kitchen last night. Both areas were busy. Took the train home early in the morning. Good amount of people on the train.
Image if some neighborhoods are busier than others? Imagine some neighborhoods are "ghost towns"?

It's possible both are correct statements. Stop putting down what others people experiences are in Manhattan when you both were in completely different parts of the island.

Old 07-11-2021, 06:43 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Just keep filling those roads back up. I get paid to sit in traffic during my "commute".

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City