Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2021, 11:17 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times

Advertisements

Woah. Skeptical if this will ever get done though.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2021/07/...ansion-report/

Advocates who are calling for a north-south subway line in central Queens say the proposal is more feasible than what the MTA estimates.

A new report commissioned by supporters of the proposal, dubbed the QueensLink Corridor, found that the project would be billions of dollars less than what the MTA has pegged it to be.

The QueensLink Corridor would create a north-south subway line through central Queens that would connect Rego Park to Ozone Park by extending the M line. The line would use 3.5 miles of abandoned LIRR tracks that were once part of the Rockaway Beach Branch line.

The MTA published a study looking at the cost and feasibility of the project in 2019. The study, completed by Systra Engineering, estimated the cost would be about $8.1 billion.

However, the study commissioned by QueensLink supporters and completed by transportation firm TEMS Inc., found the cost to be between $3.4 and $3.7 billion.

The advocates’ report also included the cost of creating green space along the railway line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 11:20 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times
I am assuming this is just the Queens section of the TriboroX proposal. Not a lot of people know that there is an abandoned rail line in both Brooklyn and Queens.
In any other country this would've been built already a long time ago, but with NYC construction costs... forgetaboutit.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:26 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I am assuming this is just the Queens section of the TriboroX proposal.
In any other country this would've been built already a long time ago, but with NYC construction costs... forgetaboutit.
Yep. How long did it take for the 2nd Avenue Subway Expansion from inception to completion.
Thought, the 7 train extension to Hudson Yards was completed relatively quickly, I think. I could be wrong.
That was a waste.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:19 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I am assuming this is just the Queens section of the TriboroX proposal. Not a lot of people know that there is an abandoned rail line in both Brooklyn and Queens.

It's different from the TriboroRX and using different ROW/abandoned rail line that's about a mile plus some change east of what the Triboro RX would be using at their nearest. Also, I think Triboro RX would be using something more like commuter rail trainsets than NYC subway rolling stock and wouldn't run on any NYC subway tracks, but will likely be sharing track with commuter rail / Amtrak and possibly some freight.

One interesting thing about the QueensLink is that supposedly it allows the G train to once again extend out to Forest Hills. I remember reading somewhere that the issue with the G train going out there in the past and why it was cut to Court Square isn't the track capacity itself, but issues with turnaround at Forest Hills. If the M train is veering off the IND Queens Boulevard Line after Rego Park and that factoid about turnaround rather than track capacity being the closest limiting factor is accurate, then it makes sense that the G could be re-extended to Forest Hills. The map they posted has a lot of nice connections, though I'm curious about how some of those would work out being two blocks to the east of the ROW for the two subway connections, but at least there's existing infrastructure for LIRR Woodhaven connection. I do like the idea put in there to extend C full-time to Ozone Park and route all A to Rockaways. That makes sense to me. The shifting of Woodhaven station to also being an express station seems a bit more questionable given how costly and disruptive that would be.

Yea, US capital construction costs are ridiculous.

Here's an image from the link:
Spoiler

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-19-2021 at 10:29 AM..

Old 07-19-2021, 09:29 AM

34,041 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Thanks for posting the image Crumbler!

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-19-2021, 12:08 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
I’m not sure how this has anything to do with eastern Queens. Looks like more options for riders from south Queens.

“QueensLink report focused on using the right of way to build a four new stops on north-south subway link that supporters say could move Queens residents between south and central Queens and provide transfers to multiple subway and LIRR lines.”

Old 07-19-2021, 12:27 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I’m not sure how this has anything to do with eastern Queens. Looks like more options for riders from south Queens.

“QueensLink report focused on using the right of way to build a four new stops on north-south subway link that supporters say could move Queens residents between south and central Queens and provide transfers to multiple subway and LIRR lines.”

You're right. Eastern Queens would be more about turning the LIRR into a more frequent and affordable RER-type of system and some expansions for that.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:24 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Default MTA Hiked Costs of Long-Sought Eastern Queens Subway Expansion: Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Woah. Skeptical if this will ever get done though.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2021/07/...ansion-report/

Advocates who are calling for a north-south subway line in central Queens say the proposal is more feasible than what the MTA estimates.

A new report commissioned by supporters of the proposal, dubbed the QueensLink Corridor, found that the project would be billions of dollars less than what the MTA has pegged it to be.

The QueensLink Corridor would create a north-south subway line through central Queens that would connect Rego Park to Ozone Park by extending the M line. The line would use 3.5 miles of abandoned LIRR tracks that were once part of the Rockaway Beach Branch line.

The MTA published a study looking at the cost and feasibility of the project in 2019. The study, completed by Systra Engineering, estimated the cost would be about $8.1 billion.

However, the study commissioned by QueensLink supporters and completed by transportation firm TEMS Inc., found the cost to be between $3.4 and $3.7 billion.

The advocates’ report also included the cost of creating green space along the railway line.
I think that just about everybody from Queens would consider the area you are referring to as western Queens. It would do basically nothing for most of the central and eastern parts of the borough. At best it would connect Rego Park to the Rockaways.

I am not saying it would not help some people but it does nothing to solve the main transportation problems of entire communities in eastern Queens that have no subway service.

As for creating green space - the abandoned line already is green space. From Rego Park, along the Glendale/Forest Hills border to Woodhaven, the abandoned line has been taken over by hundreds of trees and is a corridor for wildlife. If you rebuild the line, you will have LESS greenspace. Unless they are talking about the city buying houses and tearing them down to create parks?

Old 07-20-2021, 05:08 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
According to the map in the article, it is a completely separate line from where the M train runs.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:25 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
As for creating green space - the abandoned line already is green space. From Rego Park, along the Glendale/Forest Hills border to Woodhaven, the abandoned line has been taken over by hundreds of trees and is a corridor for wildlife. If you rebuild the line, you will have LESS greenspace. Unless they are talking about the city buying houses and tearing them down to create parks?
The abandoned line is green space, sort of, but not accessible to the public. Anyone who enters the area is trespassing. I don’t see a need to replace the area with parks if the line is put back into service since nobody can use it now and it’s not a very attractive green space at the moment anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: