Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 04:20 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
On the other hand I prayed my stabilized tenants in the 200 Central Park south building didn’t pay the rent ….then I had justification to get them out …but not one missed a damn payment
If I lived in that building I wouldn't miss a payment either haha

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 04:26 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
People always have not been paying rent though, I guess pandemic just "made it easier" not to pay, but the risk was always there.

Let's not act on the premise that index numbers didnt exist before Covid
Sure but not for this long

It's oke thing if an investment doesn't work out it'd another when scumbag politicians force you to allow strangers to love for free on your property

Old 07-18-2021, 04:35 PM

139 posts, read 215,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Yes, let's blame the landlords for making the wrong choice by buying a multi-family/investment property and not the Democrat policymakers who are incentivizing tenants (deadbeats or otherwise) to not pay rent. That was sarcasm by the way.

I agree that it would be damn foolish to buy investment real estate in New York State forget New York City. When you have Democrats like Cuomo, de Blasio at the helm, doing everything possible to make it easy for the tenants to not pay rent, what's the point of buying anything in the state when you can't even expect the government to support you in enforcing what used to be a legal contract (lease agreement)?

I have invested in many states other than NY for this very reason. I feel terrible for the small landlords getting squeezed by this nonsense.
Newsflash: You can sympathize with the landlords who are getting shafted by deadbeats (who should all be thrown out on their ear immediately) but still point out that it was a gamble to buy something you would be unable to pay for without the help of strangers. This is not the NY of long ago when people stayed in neighborhoods forever, were quiet, clean tenants for the most part and kept the place like it was their own. Today's world is full of transients who have no roots, no concern for others' property, eye level debt, and frankly could not care less about anything but themselves. And these are the people you are going to rely on to honor their agreements and keep you afloat? Okay, but that's a risk I would not take here in NY.

I think the moratorium on eviction was a disgusting move because it was clear from the get go that people who were still working and had no loss of income would simply stop paying because they could. I abhor those people because had they continued paying, it may have cushioned the blow for smaller landlords who would have to carry a few people rather than many. I can only hope for a strong dose of karma for everyone who took advantage of the situation and screwed someone over.

That said, pandemic or not, it is still a very risky proposition to buy a house you cannot not afford on your own.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:38 PM

106,576 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygeek View Post
Newsflash: You can sympathize with the landlords who are getting shafted by deadbeats (who should all be thrown out on their ear immediately) but still point out that it was a gamble to buy something you would be unable to pay for without the help of strangers. This is not the NY of long ago when people stayed in neighborhoods forever, were quiet, clean tenants for the most part and kept the place like it was their own. Today's world is full of transients who have no roots, no concern for others' property, eye level debt, and frankly could not care less about anything but themselves. And these are the people you are going to rely on to honor their agreements and keep you afloat? Okay, but that's a risk I would not take here in NY.

I think the moratorium on eviction was a disgusting move because it was clear from the get go that people who were still working and had no loss of income would simply stop paying because they could. I abhor those people because had they continued paying, it may have cushioned the blow for smaller landlords who would have to carry a few people rather than many. I can only hope for a strong dose of karma for everyone who took advantage of the situation and screwed someone over.

That said, pandemic or not, it is still a very risky proposition to buy a house you cannot not afford on your own.
Real estate is a business like any other business ..I don’t know many mom and pop businesses that can sustain on their own money with no customers year after year or even buy a business without customers helping pay for it .

My son needed a bank to help buy his law partnership .

Real estate counts on tenants the way any business counts on its customers to stay in business and borrowed money is the blood of most businesses

Old 07-18-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Sure but not for this long

It's oke thing if an investment doesn't work out it'd another when scumbag politicians force you to allow strangers to love for free on your property
It has been always this long, housing court cases take a while

Old 07-18-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Strong words from someone living in a glorified lottery subsidized housing project.
I'm not the one on YouTube begging for help though, so take that however you wanna take it

Old 07-18-2021, 04:43 PM

1,399 posts, read 890,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm not the one on YouTube begging for help though, so take that however you wanna take it
Oh nice. A project monkey who doesnt complain. Thats a first.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Oh nice. A project monkey who doesnt complain. Thats a first.
And this type of comment is coming from a city employee. Shame.

Old 07-18-2021, 05:03 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Real estate is a business like any other business ..I don’t know many mom and pop businesses that can sustain on their own money with no customers year after year or even buy a business without customers helping pay for it .

My son needed a bank to help buy his law partnership .

Real estate counts on tenants the way any business counts on its customers to stay in business and borrowed money is the blood of most businesses
Exactly. What I'm highlighting are the government policies that made leases worthless. There will always be deadbeat tenants, however lacking an enforcement mechanism, they will take advantage.

Old 07-18-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Exactly. What I'm highlighting are the government policies that made leases worthless. There will always be deadbeat tenants, however lacking an enforcement mechanism, they will take advantage.
Judges, court officers all need to make money, trust me courts will be back in session and in a year it will be like nothing ever happened

That does not excuse people overleveraging themselves

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: