Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 02:15 PM

103 posts, read 92,363 times

Advertisements

PS: I'm not trying to offend anyone. I am only asking out of curiosity.

I was talking with a friend and he said the Queens could be compared to some German cities. Especially, Astoria since it seems like there was more of Suburban feel that you might find in some German cities.

I don't know about Brooklyn but according to some here its more urban.

I am not talking about economics, I am talking about the architecture, design, feel of the place..etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 04:03 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernell111 View Post
PS: I'm not trying to offend anyone. I am only asking out of curiosity.

I was talking with a friend and he said the Queens could be compared to some German cities. Especially, Astoria since it seems like there was more of Suburban feel that you might find in some German cities.

I don't know about Brooklyn but according to some here its more urban.

I am not talking about economics, I am talking about the architecture, design, feel of the place..etc.
Can't really compare. I've been all over Europe and the US just has a different feel.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:21 PM

103 posts, read 92,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Can't really compare. I've been all over Europe and the US just has a different feel.
Very interesting. Don't you think some of Queens give you a Frankfurt vibe? I saw a video of a guy in Frankfurt and it gives me a lot of the suburban but highly walkable. In general could you expand more on your thoughts.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:52 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernell111 View Post
Very interesting. Don't you think some of Queens give you a Frankfurt vibe? I saw a video of a guy in Frankfurt and it gives me a lot of the suburban but highly walkable. In general could you expand more on your thoughts.

The US has a very unique structure and so does Europe. I guess suburbs look similar everywhere because there's just less going on but the feel is totally different if you spend enough time for n both places.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:10 PM

788 posts, read 486,798 times
As a life long Queens native, and someone who has been to and lived in Europe, can't say there is any part of Queens (in 2021) that I'd compare to any European city. Perhaps in the 50s and 60s when Queens was in fact made up of mostly white European immigrants, but not now. Really no more white ethnic European parts of Queens left. And I don't consider a block or two to qualify as "italian" or "greek" or "irish" bla bla bla.

But you can go to places like Flushing and really, really get a Asian city feel. People, culture and the architecture.

Maybe parts of Brooklyn are like Russia or Ukraine. Brighton Beach area.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:10 PM

1,424 posts, read 726,120 times
Maybe Ridgewood?

Old 07-23-2021, 09:25 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
I've been to Berlin and Hamburg and they don't resemble anywhere in Queens

Neukolln, Berlin kinda reminds me of Bushwick in the fact it's a minority heavy neighborhood with a lot of white hipsters, but it's still very different

Old 07-23-2021, 10:16 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Forrest hills gardens reminds me of the UK. Particularly, woking.

If u squint your eyes some parts of park slope has a parisian vibe (comparing the brownstones to terrace or town homes in Paris)

Also the soldiers and sailors memorial arc(Brooklyn's Arc de triomphe) and that round about at grand army plaza reminds me of being in paris everytime i pass it

Old 07-25-2021, 05:25 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Forrest hills gardens reminds me of the UK. Particularly, woking.
I too think Forest Hills Gardens reminds one of an older European village (not necessarily in the UK).

Old 07-26-2021, 01:25 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,194 times
East NY = Sarajevo 1994. You can tell from the abandoned buildings, spent shell casings, incoming artillery (illegal fireworks like m80s), celebratory gunfire (ppl popping off guns in the air) and overall cheap price of life.

Willet's Point = Eastern European post USSR look found on the outskirts of places like Odessa, Kiev, Tirana, or Minsk. The blocks of scrap metal warehouses, repair yards, junkyard dogs, polluted sky/water, and listless gaze of the locals inspires a sense that all one is missing are squatting gopniks chewing sunflower seeds and swilling moonshine (you can see real gopniks in Brighton Beach). But instead of Slavs, Willet's Point is occupied mostly by a fading Italian -American presence and Bengalis.

Last edited by Tiredofnyclife; 07-26-2021 at 01:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City