Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:07 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Rubies, that is a very nice post but I disagree that this country "places Hispanics in the sewer." Cubans and Cuban-Americans are a group that epitomizes how Hispanics can become middle class, educated and eventually become accepted into mainstream Euro-American society. I think that unity between Hispanics is a good idea in theory, but not a good idea in practice. Cubans distance themselves from Puerto Ricans and Dominicans because in the US, Cubans see the other two groups as ghetto and prone to crime and drugs. Many of my Puerto Rican friends from the island of Puerto Rico distance themselves from Nuyoricans because they see Nuyoricans as a group that traps themselves in ghettos; they think that the problems of Nuyoricans are self-inflicted and thus avoid them and their neighborhoods like the plague. I really can't say that I disagree with them. There are many good Nuyoricans out there but it is so strange to me that some of them identify with "Hispanic" or "Latino" while they don't speak Spanish, know little or nothing about Latin American history or culture, and develop a street culture familiar to African-American ghettos like Bed-Stuy and East New York. When a group like Cuban-Americans reaches the middle class status that they have largely achieved in this country, it makes sense to me to distance themselves/ourselves from groups who threaten to tarnish this in the name of being "Hispanic" or "Latino." Unity is a nice idea, but I just can't sign onto it while such a large percentage (but still a minority, I have to add) of the Nuyorican, Dominican, and (to a lesser extent) Mexican-American population puts it out there to America that Hispanics are ghetto, uneducated, and anti-"whitey". As much as I appreciate and respect the large number of people in these groups who get through adverse lives in the ghetto and become successful, it is just too hard to actual identify with the others whose upbringings and goals are just so different from my own.
Ok, guywithacause, this will be my last post on the subject
crisp444: I agreed with you... especially with the Puerto Rican and newyorican/nuyorican.
Some may say no, but in reality there is a big difference between Puerto Rican and nuyoricans, and that is why we called them nuyoricans and not puerto rican. And yes, usually puerto ricans would avoid nuyoricans like the plague. But for a good reason. In NYC everytime someone ask me from where I am from... I get a look and some even say "But you dont look ghetto or black wannabe". And when I say I was born and raised in P.R. then they understand.
And if I say I am Cuban, for some reason no looks, no questions, no comments. Always the same thing, Oh really I love Miami

Back to the subject,
Sorry Guy if it was to long

Maybe you have better luck in NJ, I have tried about 5 "Cuban" Rest. and to be honest they are mix and for some reason expensive.
I mean for a Ropa vieja, usually the cheapest dish in a Cuban Rest. is like 18 dollars or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 01:18 PM

113 posts, read 383,482 times
Crisp, it was my experience growing up in Highbridge during the 70's and early 80's that the Cubans who migrated here during the late 50's, early 60's parted ways once they arrived here in keeping with the previaling racial taxonomy of the day. Many white Cubans moved into ethnic working class neighborhoods and sent their kids to the local Catholic schools. In short they were no different than the Italian, Galician and Portuguese immigrants of the early 20th century. Afro-Cubans, by and large, ended up living in black neighborhoods.

Let's remember prior to 1970 the census didn't recognize any racial categories beyong white, black (ne negro), asian, native american (ne indian) and chicano. Quite plainly there was no reason given the order of the day for white and Afro-Cubans were left to fend for themselves.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:32 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,283 times
As far as the food goes, I recently went to Havana Central in Union Square. It is a Cuban restaurant and was good. I also went to a small restaurant in the Village that was good. There are also a couple of Cuban-Chinese restaurants scattered throughout the city. Not as tasty as a strict Cuban restaurant but pretty good. I used to like Cafe Con Leche also but I believe that they are no longer open.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:11 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,573 times
The older Cubans may still be in the Uniion City area but younger Cubans have spread out quite a bit. The next census should be interesting. Lot's of Cubans are moving out of NJ and Florida. I am currently in the process of moving to NC which actually has a decent and growing Cuban population.

We are holding a huge meet-up on July 26th if anyone is moving and/or interested.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:07 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
In NYC or in NC?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:18 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,573 times
Ooops, sorry...in NC

Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 10,784 times
El Sitio in Astoria, N train to 36th Avenue stop. Their food is authentic, the owner is the chef and he's Cuban. And...Cuban food IS different from PR and Dominican food due to ONE fact, it is the one Island that had the highest concentration of Spanish immigrants, the food has retained the authenticity of Spain, most foods that you find in Spain, you will find in Cuban foods without much change in ingredients.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 PM

578 posts, read 963,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
El Valle, El Liberato, El Malecon etc Dominican restaurants have plenty of Mofongo. Check them out.

Puerto Ricans are jealous of Dominicans for a number of reasons, whereas Dominicans could care less about Puerto Ricans.
Mofongo is Puerto Rican. Mangú is Dominican.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 PM

578 posts, read 963,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
succesful in PR??? about 60% of P.R. prisoners are dominicans...
that is succesful??
55% of people living in caserios(projects) are first and second generation dominicans.
Succesful???
PR without US support would be better way better compared to D.R.(Is an opinion, there is no way how to know that, but we have a higher % of college graduates)
The education in PR is way better, and DR. in PR are just taking all the jobs that Puerto Rican dont want. I have nothing against Domincans, but I guess you have something with puerto ricans,, are you jealous?
Dominicans immigrate in large numbers to Panama as well. But they vary in social status and come from all walks of life and from all types of social classes.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:04 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Nice thread. Being American, the only beans I knew about were navy beans. They are used to make baked beans. They usually have a sweet taste from brown sugar or molasses. I love them with BBQ food.

We didn't eat much rice growing up but today, rice is one of my favorite foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City