U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 07:52 PM

11 posts, read 4,982 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm contemplating a move to Riverdale from Manhattan.

A few questions:

Are there any decent organic/ natural groceries where you can buy good fresh produce? looks like just one store (Garden Gourmet)?

Any healthy or organic restaurants or just older ones that have been there for decades and serve standard american artery clogging food...?!

How walkable is Riverdale if you live in North Riverdale, eg Fieldston area near Van cortlandt park? Seems you can walk to the park but not much else to walk to.. no nearby shops there..

Is one side of the highway preferable to another... pros and cons of North or more mid/ South areas of Riverdale?
Is parking insane?!

Does it feel congested (traffic, grocery stores) and what is the noise level like ? is it quieter than Brooklyn? (hopefully!)

Is there anything to do at night there?! or in general (culture), besides nature?

Do you find Riverdale a bit stuck in the past, in need of an update.... ?! or maybe you love it..
Would love to hear!

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 12:41 PM

1,159 posts, read 373,803 times
Riverdale appears to be a safe area but with an increase in robberies over the past year.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...-us-050pct.pdf

Old 07-28-2021, 05:42 PM

10,837 posts, read 5,560,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalk34 View Post
Hi,

A few questions:

Are there any decent organic/ natural groceries where you can buy good fresh produce? looks like just one store (Garden Gourmet)?

Any healthy or organic restaurants or just older ones that have been there for decades and serve standard american artery clogging food...?!

How walkable is Riverdale if you live in North Riverdale, eg Fieldston area near Van cortlandt park? Seems you can walk to the park but not much else to walk to.. no nearby shops there..

Is one side of the highway preferable to another... pros and cons of North or more mid/ South areas of Riverdale?
Is parking insane?!

Does it feel congested (traffic, grocery stores) and what is the noise level like ? is it quieter than Brooklyn? (hopefully!)

Is there anything to do at night there?! or in general (culture), besides nature?

Do you find Riverdale a bit stuck in the past, in need of an update.... ?! or maybe you love it..
Would love to hear!

Thanks
Riverdale is fairly suburban, especially North Riverdale. If you live in North Riverdale, it's easier to get around by car. Central Riverdale or "Downtown Riverdale" is more closer to the shops and you can get by without a car. Parking can be difficult depending on where in Riverdale, especially without a spot in a building. Some buildings have waitlists.

As for safety and amenities, it is VERY safe. It is part of the Bronx, but very different than most of the Bronx in that it has very low crime, is mainly white, and upper middle to upper class. Most of the Bronx is generally poor, with high crime, with some exceptions like Morris Park, City Island, Country Club, Woodlawn, parts of Throggs Neck, Pelham Gardens, etc., which are middle class, mainly white areas, with more high home ownership, away from any subway. The hills and lack of subway isolate from the rest of the Bronx, and the high home ownership means a stable, family-oriented neighborhood.

Most people commute via the express buses to Manhattan (there is one to Wall Street that also stops in Midtown, one to East Midtown and one to West Midtown) and two Metro-North stations (Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale).

If you are renting, the prices can vary based on amenities, but are slightly cheaper than Manhattan, but still expensive, so it keeps out the riff-raff. One bedrooms usually start at $1,900 and go up to around $2,600 depending on amenities. For shopping, many people drive to Westchester or even NJ, or they take the express buses to Manhattan, which offer things like Whole Foods on the Upper East and Upper West Side. Grocery shopping is rather lackluster locally.

Some good places are Kingsbridge Social Club in Kingsbridge, Greek Express and Aoyu Sushi. Moss Café offers farm-to-table and kosher options, albeit expensive, and there is a Farmers' Market on Sundays, which features vendors like Orwashers, which you may be familiar with from the Upper West Side. https://www.riverdaley.org/community/sunday-market/

Riverdale is a bedroom community. If you want "nightlife", you DON'T move to Riverdale. It is an escape from Manhattan, and I know a number of people that live there. They like it quiet, sleepy and leafy. There are housing options for everyone, from mansions in Fieldston in the millions, to condos in Central Riverdale in the millions, to reasonably prices co-ops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Riverdale appears to be a safe area but with an increase in robberies over the past year.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...-us-050pct.pdf
The 50th encompasses more than just Riverdale, so those stats are misleading, and most of the issues you see are from other neighborhoods, not Riverdale. The only real issue Riverdale has is car theft, but that is because of the parkway and it being a quiet, safe neighborhood. The same issues exist in similar upper middle to upper class areas in Queens like Whitestone, Bayside, etc. The thieves prefer to target monied, quiet, safe areas. That can be addressed by paying for parking in a garage.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 07-28-2021 at 05:51 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalk34 View Post
Hi,

A few questions:

Is parking insane?!

Would love to hear!

Thanks
I forgot to answer some other questions you had. Henry Hudson Parkway West or Henry Hudson Parkway East will mean co-op or condo living. Living West of Henry Hudson Parkway just means AMAZING views of the Palisades and Hudson River. Riverdale being so hilly offers great views throughout the neighborhood, be it East or West of Henry Hudson Parkway. Walking to Van Cortlandt Park is possible if you live say near or along Broadway, but coming from Manhattan, you will want to live up in the hills, which is the splash part of Riverdale that the neighborhood is known for. I also recommend Wave Hill, which is the former Estate of Mark Twain. It is near to the mansion that JFK grew up in.

Riverdale is a great mix of old and new. Families live there for generations. As for demographics, as I said it is mainly white. You will find Jews there who are not as conservative like the Orthodox Jews, Irish and Irish Americans, etc. There are also a small population of Japanese, Koreans as well, with some Latinos and a small amount of Blacks here and there, but majority White - Greeks, Italians, etc.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:10 AM

6,042 posts, read 6,305,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I forgot to answer some other questions you had. Henry Hudson Parkway West or Henry Hudson Parkway East will mean co-op or condo living. Living West of Henry Hudson Parkway just means AMAZING views of the Palisades and Hudson River. Riverdale being so hilly offers great views throughout the neighborhood, be it East or West of Henry Hudson Parkway. Walking to Van Cortlandt Park is possible if you live say near or along Broadway, but coming from Manhattan, you will want to live up in the hills, which is the splash part of Riverdale that the neighborhood is known for. I also recommend Wave Hill, which is the former Estate of Mark Twain. It is near to the mansion that JFK grew up in.

Riverdale is a great mix of old and new. Families live there for generations. As for demographics, as I said it is mainly white. You will find Jews there who are not as conservative like the Orthodox Jews, Irish and Irish Americans, etc. There are also a small population of Japanese, Koreans as well, with some Latinos and a small amount of Blacks here and there, but majority White - Greeks, Italians, etc.

Just to add---you will get a lot of noise from the Henry Hudson Parkway. My friend lives on there and she said it just seems noisier than ever. I've been over there many times and I can see how you can either get used to it or have it drive you crazy.

Since OP is worried about health, walking up and down the hills on a regular basis will be great.

Parking just depends on where you are---my friend lives in an area where there are HUGE buildings. She pays for a parking spot. But when I visit, I have to look for parking, which can be difficult.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Just to add---you will get a lot of noise from the Henry Hudson Parkway. My friend lives on there and she said it just seems noisier than ever. I've been over there many times and I can see how you can either get used to it or have it drive you crazy.

Since OP is worried about health, walking up and down the hills on a regular basis will be great.

Parking just depends on where you are---my friend lives in an area where there are HUGE buildings. She pays for a parking spot. But when I visit, I have to look for parking, which can be difficult.
The Henry Hudson Parkway is generally not noisy. That has only been the case in the last few years because of the lawlessness in our City and our inept mayor. Street racing is now everywhere, so it's a problem Citywide that the NYPD needs to crackdown on.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:14 PM

162 posts, read 93,443 times
Question riverdale

don't do it. just look at tarrytown,scarsdale, larchmont, ossining, peekskill, cold spring, pelham, or forest hills, queens, etc. you are surrounded by economically challenged areas and the contrast between inwood, marble hill, the heights compared to fieldston or even spyten dyvil is irreligious. after having moved there in the 80's, i found it unsettling. a jeweler on johnson avenue was shot dead in broad day light. the denizens there are mostly territorial and geriatric and either lack the resources to move to greener pastures and/or aren't adventurous enough, so they ghettoize themselves and are suspicious of those who donot fufill their ideas of being extremely straight-laced. they are rightfully frightened to walk outside of their buildings at night and the streets are deserted. many ghetto kids from inwood and washington heights drive up and use riverdale as a sort of playground to escape the grinding poverty of their areas, which is entirely understandable, but with beautiful westchester county, you wouldn't have to deal with this.

Last edited by rodrigo1974; 08-01-2021 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: adding detail

Old 08-02-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1974 View Post
don't do it. just look at tarrytown,scarsdale, larchmont, ossining, peekskill, cold spring, pelham, or forest hills, queens, etc. you are surrounded by economically challenged areas and the contrast between inwood, marble hill, the heights compared to fieldston or even spyten dyvil is irreligious. after having moved there in the 80's, i found it unsettling. a jeweler on johnson avenue was shot dead in broad day light. the denizens there are mostly territorial and geriatric and either lack the resources to move to greener pastures and/or aren't adventurous enough, so they ghettoize themselves and are suspicious of those who donot fufill their ideas of being extremely straight-laced. they are rightfully frightened to walk outside of their buildings at night and the streets are deserted. many ghetto kids from inwood and washington heights drive up and use riverdale as a sort of playground to escape the grinding poverty of their areas, which is entirely understandable, but with beautiful westchester county, you wouldn't have to deal with this.
What a ridiculous post. You don't think there are ghetto areas in Westchester county? Crime is low in Riverdale... Just as it is in Westchester. Looking at your previous posts, you are clearly a troll.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:55 AM

28,295 posts, read 40,887,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What a ridiculous post. You don't think there are ghetto areas in Westchester county? Crime is low in Riverdale... Just as it is in Westchester. Looking at your previous posts, you are clearly a troll.
I'm not sure where your source of angst comes from. The crime from bad areas in Westchester does not seem like it spills over to better areas. For example, there's some projects right in downtown White Plains, but it does not affect the downtown area at all, from what I've seen.

The poster never said that crime in Riverdale was a major problem. They did say that ppl from other surrounding Bronx neighborhoods come there to commit crime sometimes, is that true or false? This just doesn't seem like it happens as much in Westchester, but I could be proven wrong with examples.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-02-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm not sure where your source of angst comes from. The crime from bad areas in Westchester does not seem like it spills over to better areas. For example, there's some projects right in downtown White Plains, but it does not affect the downtown area at all, from what I've seen.

The poster never said that crime in Riverdale was a major problem. They did say that ppl from other surrounding Bronx neighborhoods come there to commit crime sometimes, is that true or false? This just doesn't seem like it happens as much in Westchester, but I could be proven wrong with examples.
He implied that it was by talking about how a jeweler was shot in broad daylight, as if that happens regularly, then acted as if Westchester was this place where everything is gold. I think that shooting is the only one that I've heard of in Riverdale in at least ten years if not more, so why bring it up? He noted how people have cars and come from the Heights and Inwood to Riverdale, which isn't true either. If they have cars, why would they just target Riverdale? Towns in Westchester are actually as tony or tonier than Riverdale, and are a short drive away. The only issue that exists in Riverdale is car theft, which is just as prevalent in areas with similar crime levels in Queens. I can't tell you how many cars I have seen in Whitestone and Bayside lately with their tires stolen, yet no one is yelling about Queens being unsafe. Why? Because they are low crime areas, just like Riverdale, and criminals target them to steal tires for that reason.

I'm very familiar with Westchester, as I am friends with many co-workers that live in areas such as Scarsdale, Rye, etc. It doesn't have an halo around it that tells criminals to avoid it. Yes, it is very safe, but Riverdale isn't any less safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City