Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 01:24 PM

1,034 posts, read 441,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
From NYS DOL website:

You may be eligible for benefits if:
You lost your job due to lack of work
The temporary or seasonal employment ended
Your job was eliminated
There was an involuntary reduction in force
The company downsized or shut down
The company restructured or reorganized
There was a lack of company operating funds/orders
You were out of work for any other business reason that you did not choose or control
Your employer discharged or fired you because you could not meet their performance or production standards, or their qualifications for the job

You may be denied benefits if you:
Were fired because you violated a company policy, rule or procedure, such as absenteeism or insubordination
Quit your job without good cause, such as a compelling personal reason
Are out of work because of a work stoppage (except for lockouts) in the last 14 days that violated an existing collective bargaining agreement where you worked (You need not actually take part in the strike, only be out of work because of it.)

https://dol.ny.gov/you-apply-unemplo...sked-questions

I wonder what they tell the unemployment people then

Lol at the end of the day everybody has a hand in it, it feels like. If it's that easy to quit your job and get unemployment, then who's fault is that

But all of this is irrelevant. The wages don't match the rent. When I was in college (early 2000s), I was making like $20-$25K a year as a clerk working full-time. So $25K thats about $500 a week gross, like $350 after taxes. At the time, I could have easily afforded a studio apartment for $600-$800. It wouldn't have been the best but I would have been able to afford it as a single person. Now adjusted for inflation, that $25K is now $37K, but the rent is double. The wages didn't double though. So at the end of the day all of this is just entertainment.
Quitting your job due to fear of contracting COVID was a valid reason to collect UI. So was leaving due to lack of childcare with schools being closed.

Even during normal times, very few get denied UI even amongst those who willingly quit. In the end it's he said, she said and the state tends to aide with employees (which I agree with in th case of UI benefits).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 01:56 PM

33,402 posts, read 46,846,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Quitting your job due to fear of contracting COVID was a valid reason to collect UI. So was leaving due to lack of childcare with schools being closed.

Even during normal times, very few get denied UI even amongst those who willingly quit. In the end it's he said, she said and the state tends to aide with employees (which I agree with in th case of UI benefits).
So then that's a legitimate fear then, I would say

That definitely paints a different picture than "I'm simply lazy and just staying home to collect checks," which is what the C-D "media" is reporting.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-09-2021, 02:34 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,211,640 times
OP what’s the update?

Old 08-09-2021, 03:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 441,209 times
Quote:

That definitely paints a different picture than "I'm simply lazy and just staying home to collect checks," which is what the C-D "media" is reporting.
Legitimate in some cases and not in others. More legitimate during the early months of the pandemic and less legitimate as time went on.

There definitely is a contingent that made the rationale decision that staying home was the better option either because they made more staying home or they made slightly less but the opportunity cost was worth it.

Pretending that that cohort doesn't exist, especially after widespread vaccine availability, us disingenuous.

If I could stay home for 50% of my salary, I'd quit on the spot. That's what many did.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Legitimate in some cases and not in others. More legitimate during the early months of the pandemic and less legitimate as time went on.

There definitely is a contingent that made the rationale decision that staying home was the better option either because they made more staying home or they made slightly less but the opportunity cost was worth it.

Pretending that that cohort doesn't exist, especially after widespread vaccine availability, us disingenuous.

If I could stay home for 50% of my salary, I'd quit on the spot. That's what many did.
I hear you but if the NYS DOL is accepting fear of Covid as a legitimate excuse, then they have to either honor it or investigate it. If it wasn't that easy to just quit, many wouldn't have done it.

Its alright anyway, we'll see what happens next month without the fed boost

Old 08-09-2021, 03:42 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,285,172 times
Quote:

The guy who worked at fedex showed up without a mask. I gave the him one. He said he had no kids (everyone living in the apartmemt) must be listed on the lease

Old 08-09-2021, 03:45 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,285,172 times
Quote:
I hear you but if the NYS DOL is accepting fear of Covid as a legitimate excuse, then they have to either honor it or investigate it. If it wasn't that easy to just quit, many wouldn't have done it.

Its alright anyway, we'll see what happens next month without the fed boost
Many people have beaten the system and continue to do so. This is why people living in NYCHA could have collected hundreds of thousand for a pandemic no payback loan for none existent business

Anyone with common sense would know to qualify for NYCHA your income must be under a certain amount so it would be highly unlikely that a NYCHA resident would be running a multi million dollar business.

Somehow that application and many fraudulent one like it were approved.

So the "requirement" are one thing to get unemployment people who didnt even havr a job filed for unemployment and got it

Old 08-09-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Many people have beaten the system and continue to do so. This is why people living in NYCHA could have collected hundreds of thousand for a pandemic no payback loan for none existent business

Anyone with common sense would know to qualify for NYCHA your income must be under a certain amount so it would be highly unlikely that a NYCHA resident would be running a multi million dollar business.

Somehow that application and many fraudulent one like it were approved.

So the "requirement" are one thing to get unemployment people who didnt even havr a job filed for unemployment and got it
I bolded a key word in your post.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:18 PM

2,302 posts, read 998,658 times
Unemployment income is not welfare. It is a tax paid into by workers and their employers if under W2. Do some people draw more benefits on it than they paid in? Of course! But that is the nature of insurance.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:03 AM

6,225 posts, read 2,994,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Unemployment income is not welfare. It is a tax paid into by workers and their employers if under W2. Do some people draw more benefits on it than they paid in? Of course! But that is the nature of insurance.
Yes, that is true. But today, it's has become more of the question being do you want to return to work, and earn an honest living, or are you going to latch on to unemployment until the well runs dry?? The government has made unemployment payments more attractive than working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City