Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 04:22 AM

608 posts, read 239,433 times

Advertisements

Good on you if you made it work but, even in 2002 I could barely do only $100 a month for food without compromising my health and looking almost junky-skinny, and I never felt full. I wouldn't wish that on any except the most arrogant and violent repeat felons.

Although I suppose never feeling full helped give me the drive to get my E5 in less than 3 years (back before it was basically an automatic promotion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 04:53 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
Although I suppose never feeling full helped give me the drive to get my E5 in less than 3 years (back before it was basically an automatic promotion).
My MOS' points were very low back then, in the 400's. I made E5 in 2.5 years.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-07-2021, 05:27 AM

608 posts, read 239,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My MOS' points were very low back then, in the 400's. I made E5 in 2.5 years.
That definitely helped but, back then you still had to be recommended, getting that 5 was the exception not the rule. 2010 rolled around, and I was in Bagram, and it became that 5 became the rule, so NCOs had to write specific counseling statements stating why they shouldn't be promoted...

...now I was lucky I had a platoon, mostly, with guys I was proud to sponsor but, the change in the rules was clear and set a poor precedent.

----------------

Back to the topic though, I didn't want to be too cavalier with advice to the thread originator. My personal experiences have been:

- The Army was what lifted me out of likely permanent poverty and, likely homelessness. It remains my best financial decision.
- $100 a month for food was NOT feasible! Plan around $200.
- Homelessness is at least easiER to escape in NYC due to the abundance of rent-a-room agencies and, an endless amount of McJobs. In FL, NC, GA, PA, wherever; even the McJobs will be completely taken.
- Vagrancy of any kind is treated damn near like a felony in many other states.
- If possible, get in shape and physically look your best. This absolutely opens doors anywhere!
- Don't waste anybody's time with "bla bla bla I can't do it cuz' I'm Black" quite a few senior NCOs I worked with named Tyrone, Jermaine and, Jamal that were some of the most dedicated and talented colleagues I've ever had.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:18 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
Good on you if you made it work but, even in 2002 I could barely do only $100 a month for food without compromising my health and looking almost junky-skinny, and I never felt full. I wouldn't wish that on any except the most arrogant and violent repeat felons.

You can do $200 a month for sure if you just eat "regular" food. I see plenty of deals for cereal ($1.99). Regular milk.... Everything non-organic is very affordable, but then I turn over the label and start reading the ingredients. Forget it. Growing up, I hated eating certain fruits, and now I know why. Because it was conventional fruit with wax all over it or whatever they put on regular apples. Stuff is disgusting. That said, when I want to eat cheap, but still buy organic, I leave out the meat and go with veggie dishes that I can make that will be filling or load up on organic fruits like blueberries, which are filling with the fiber.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:00 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You can do $200 a month for sure if you just eat "regular" food. I see plenty of deals for cereal ($1.99). Regular milk.... Everything non-organic is very affordable, but then I turn over the label and start reading the ingredients. Forget it. Growing up, I hated eating certain fruits, and now I know why. Because it was conventional fruit with wax all over it or whatever they put on regular apples. Stuff is disgusting. That said, when I want to eat cheap, but still buy organic, I leave out the meat and go with veggie dishes that I can make that will be filling or load up on organic fruits like blueberries, which are filling with the fiber.
NYC has a Trader Joe. Its NYC prices are based on national averages. NYC buyers pay the same amount as someone in the Midwest/South. The food is higher quality than the average supermarket. Cereals, frozen fruits and fish have terrific low prices.

It's also a great company to work at. It has a competitive benefits package covering health, dental and vision care. Employees pay only a small premium with Trader Joe's paying the rest. Employees also receive paid time off. Trader Joe’s crew remembers receive a performance evaluation twice per year and can receive up to a 7%- 10% pay increase each year which adds up over time. 78% of Trader Joe’s “Mates" a role that is similar to a supervisor within a retail store, started as crew. 100% of Captains (store managers) are promoted from the pool of Mates. Regional Vice Presidents are also promoted from within.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:34 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
$7.50? companies are desperate now. anyone who wants a job will make double that with no skills.

when the gov't gravy train ends there are going to be a lot of lazy idiots who wish they got a job when they were easy to get.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This is a NYC forum, and there are no Walmarts in NYC, so that's a non-issue. NYC has a $15 minimum wage. So if the OP can get a full time job, or a couple of part time jobs to total 40 hours/week, that's $30K/year. Now that's not really great in NYC, but it probably lets your rent a room somewhere in the city and let's you eat. That gets him off the ground, and he can start moving up from there.
Bingo.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yeah, but I believe there are some just over the border in Long Island. I have never been to any here. In fact, I haven't been in a Walmart since I was in college, so it's been a while to say the least. lol My question is though, with rents being so high, would that even be enough to rent a room? I don't know what that yields in take-home pay a month.
It is plenty. Bronx has rooms for rent 400-500/month on several sites all the time.

After taxes, $15mw yields $12, so $1,920 every 4 weeks.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:44 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
There are no rooms for $500 a month in the Bronx. Every 2 weeks $500 maybe.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
There are no rooms for $500 a month in the Bronx. Every 2 weeks $500 maybe.
just saw 2 listed on cl by the month at that rate. Many more 175/wk, which is also doable with $480/wk net pay (40 hes at minimum wage).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City