Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2021, 07:43 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I was showing an apartment and one of the prospective occupants was unemployed. He worked as driver at Fedex. He said he is going to ride out the unemployment until the pandmic is done because he didnt feel like working.

I dont rent to voluntarily unemployed people with no alternate plans. That can easily go south.
it's amazing he would admit this to any random stranger let alone a possible landlord
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 07:51 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
You got THAT right!!

I was in my area's Wegmans super market, this morning, and got talking to one of the assistant managers. We were talking about the increasing number of empty shelves....again. She told me the reason is that the company can't get people to work in the warehouse, specifically those who load the outgoing trucks.

I've been retired for a number of years, but it got me thinking....if Wegman's warehouse was located closer to my home, I'd consider going back to work, for a few months. $15/hr. isn't all that bad, as a supplement to my SS.
Meh

Keep in mind after all that this is unemployment benefits you're talking about

It's not like ppl can quit their jobs and stay home and collect unemployment

Had they not been let go they still would be working for the same paltry wage

Why go back to work for less money, I actually get it

And if jobs are so plentiful, ppl will simply go back to work when the benefits run out

They shouldn't be out of cash long if the jobs are so easy to come by

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-08-2021, 10:29 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
it's amazing he would admit this to any random stranger let alone a possible landlord
I look in my early 30s (i have been told) Most assume i am a realtor. THE THINGS PROSPECTIVE RENTERS SAY AND DO WHEN THEY DONT KNOW YOU ARE THE Landlord.

I usually dont disclose that fact until it is time to sign the lease

Old 08-09-2021, 05:29 AM

1,034 posts, read 445,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Meh

Keep in mind after all that this is unemployment benefits you're talking about

It's not like ppl can quit their jobs and stay home and collect unemployment

Had they not been let go they still would be working for the same paltry wage

Why go back to work for less money, I actually get it

And if jobs are so plentiful, ppl will simply go back to work when the benefits run out

They shouldn't be out of cash long if the jobs are so easy to come by
Not necessarily true. People will stay home for less money as long as their basic needs are met.

Yes, people who can make $80K+ aren't going to stay home for $40K. However, people who can make $50K, are going to think twice about going back to work if they can sit at home and collect $40K.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Go take a look at the labor force participation rate for NYC. There's no stigma anymore about not working. About half the people who can work in this city aren't working by choice.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Not necessarily true. People will stay home for less money as long as their basic needs are met.

Yes, people who can make $80K+ aren't going to stay home for $40K. However, people who can make $50K, are going to think twice about going back to work if they can sit at home and collect $40K.
That may be true, but you missed my point. People were let go, it's not like they quit. If they were never let go they would still be working at the same job for the same low wage. It comes down to an individual position where if you're able to find a job without losing any source of money over an extended period of time. I think most who have been collecting UE will go right back to work when the federal boost is over.

Apparently employers are finding it hard to hire ppl? Well lets see what happen when the federal boost to UE is over.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:11 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post

Well stated!

Old 08-09-2021, 10:28 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That may be true, but you missed my point. People were let go, it's not like they quit. If they were never let go they would still be working at the same job for the same low wage. It comes down to an individual position where if you're able to find a job without losing any source of money over an extended period of time. I think most who have been collecting UE will go right back to work when the federal boost is over.

Apparently employers are finding it hard to hire ppl? Well lets see what happen when the federal boost to UE is over.

No i met many who quit and were able to collect unemployment. A single posting can get over 200 inquiries so i speak to alot of people when i list my apartment

One of my tenants quit. She is not the primary tenant. Her mom pays the bills. I thought u had to have been layed off. But my experience has shown many were still able to collect unemployment when they quit.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
No i met many who quit and were able to collect unemployment. A single posting can get over 200 inquiries so i speak to alot of people when i list my apartment

One of my tenants quit. She is not the primary tenant. Her mom pays the bills. I thought u had to have been layed off. But my experience has shown many were still able to collect unemployment when they quit.
From NYS DOL website:

You may be eligible for benefits if:
You lost your job due to lack of work
The temporary or seasonal employment ended
Your job was eliminated
There was an involuntary reduction in force
The company downsized or shut down
The company restructured or reorganized
There was a lack of company operating funds/orders
You were out of work for any other business reason that you did not choose or control
Your employer discharged or fired you because you could not meet their performance or production standards, or their qualifications for the job

You may be denied benefits if you:
Were fired because you violated a company policy, rule or procedure, such as absenteeism or insubordination
Quit your job without good cause, such as a compelling personal reason
Are out of work because of a work stoppage (except for lockouts) in the last 14 days that violated an existing collective bargaining agreement where you worked (You need not actually take part in the strike, only be out of work because of it.)

https://dol.ny.gov/you-apply-unemplo...sked-questions

I wonder what they tell the unemployment people then

Lol at the end of the day everybody has a hand in it, it feels like. If it's that easy to quit your job and get unemployment, then who's fault is that

But all of this is irrelevant. The wages don't match the rent. When I was in college (early 2000s), I was making like $20-$25K a year as a clerk working full-time. So $25K thats about $500 a week gross, like $350 after taxes. At the time, I could have easily afforded a studio apartment for $600-$800. It wouldn't have been the best but I would have been able to afford it as a single person. Now adjusted for inflation, that $25K is now $37K, but the rent is double. The wages didn't double though. So at the end of the day all of this is just entertainment.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 08-09-2021 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-09-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:

During COVID a valid reason to collect UI was the fear of contracting COVID. You could quit your job as a result of that fear and you qualified for UI.

Another valid reason was lack or childcare due to schools closing.

The state wasn't really checking claims all too hard anyhow for obvious reasons. During the beginning of the pandemic it was way too hectic and once things settled down, it was in the states interest to keep the money flowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City