Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 15,930 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just moved to NY and I have seen an appartment in 135th street with 5th Avenue. Could you tell me a bit about the area? Is it safe? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,060,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka View Post
Hi, I just moved to NY and I have seen an appartment in 135th street with 5th Avenue. Could you tell me a bit about the area? Is it safe? Thanks!!!
No. If I'm not mistaken there are projects in the area.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,101,940 times
Not a great area, are you male or female? It is not an area I would recommend for a female living alone. There is a pretty large group of projects right there and it is a higher crime area compared to other parts of NYC. But, it all depends on your comfort level. Some people would be fine living there, others would not. Where do you currently live?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:27 PM

thank you for the answers. Answering if I am female or male, I am a woman and the appartment is for my boyfriend and for me. We saw it and it is very nice but as I said, don' t know how safe is the area.
Now I am in a very nice area living in a friend house (Upper West Side near Colombus Circle)

Thanks again, we will see what we do

Baraka

Old 05-14-2008, 06:31 PM

sorry , me again, super Mario and Rebeckia, what do you mean that there are projects going on?
I just arrived to the US and don't know what it is.

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:34 PM

It will be a change no doubt if you are used to living on the Upper West side, so my advice would be to go check it out yourself, day and night. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 PM

Projects are public housing. East Harlem (the area you are looking at) has many projects, and usually areas with a higher concentration of lower income housing have a higher crime rate. East Harlem has one of the highest crime rates in Manhattan (but for such a large city, the crime rate in NYC is relatively low)

Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,060,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Projects are public housing. East Harlem (the area you are looking at) has many projects, and usually areas with a higher concentration of lower income housing have a higher crime rate. East Harlem has one of the highest crime rates in Manhattan (but for such a large city, the crime rate in NYC is relatively low)
Yeah, nice post. I agree.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka View Post
sorry , me again, super Mario and Rebeckia, what do you mean that there are projects going on?
I just arrived to the US and don't know what it is.

Thanks!
"Projects" means public housing for the indigent (poor) usually composed of large apartment buildings. Often the neighborhoods that have public housing have a lot of crime committed against other residents in the neighborhood.

When seeking housing here, you and your boyfriend should NOT only go by price, as there is a reason some places have very cheap rent (crime and other factors that make a neighborhood unliveable).

Old 05-15-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
"Projects" means public housing for the indigent (poor) usually composed of large apartment buildings. Often the neighborhoods that have public housing have a lot of crime committed against other residents in the neighborhood.

When seeking housing here, you and your boyfriend should NOT only go by price, as there is a reason some places have very cheap rent (crime and other factors that make a neighborhood unlivable).
I'm not sure I would call any neighborhood in NYC "unlivable" as there are people currently living there, and I think that is a little insulting. However, East Harlem might not be for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City