Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 08:26 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What's the difference between LeBron James and Warren Buffet? Is LeBron "rich middle class" and Warren Buffet "rich upper class?" The labels mean nothing.
You're trying to use the extreme upper class to downplay the existence of the middle class?

Again, striations within class have been argued for centuries. I said that in my post: there's plenty of room to argue what constitutes what (to simplify). But to claim there's no such thing? Come on. Everything not natural was created by humans. That doesn't invalidate its existence.

You can't say the middle class doesn't exist any more than you can a car. They're both created by humans. They're both real too.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Come on man, American exceptionalism is real. The middle class does not exist in 90% of this planet. Commonwealth countries and Europe are the exception. Only recently has a middle class emerged in China, and even then the vast majority of people are still dirt poor peasants. The US has the richest and most expansive middle class by far
Travel or study history maybe. I openly admit that my educational credentials aren't much to brag about, and most of my traveling happened in the Army (though it was highly relevant to this topic), but I am flush with college-level history courses and leisure reading of the same. It's my favorite topic. One benefit of a career that only requires credits is that you can keep taking interesting courses with little concern towards a degree plan.

Even a basic understanding of history shows that this argument makes up the bulk of human progress. To call it fake is revealing to say the least. No offense.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-10-2021, 08:32 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Not even worth arguing. Anyone who didn't know this was a disaster in the making before it was even enacted is a worthless human.
Quoted and bolded for emphasis.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:39 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
You're trying to use the extreme upper class to downplay the existence of the middle class?

Again, striations within class have been argued for centuries. I said that in my post: there's plenty of room to argue what constitutes what (to simplify). But to claim there's no such thing? Come on. Everything not natural was created by humans. That doesn't invalidate its existence.

You can't say the middle class doesn't exist any more than you can a car. They're both created by humans. They're both real too.
The term was invented to lead people to believe they're worth more than what they really are, to be honest

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-10-2021, 08:41 AM

So your position is that everyone until you get to Lebron James level is really experiencing the same life situation?

Old 08-10-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Come on man, American exceptionalism is real. The middle class does not exist in 90% of this planet. Commonwealth countries and Europe are the exception. Only recently has a middle class emerged in China, and even then the vast majority of people are still dirt poor peasants. The US has the richest and most expansive middle class by far
Richest middle class? Lol, so which country has the poorest middle class?

Like how many labels are going to invent to make us feel better about ourselves

Old 08-10-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
So your position is that everyone until you get to Lebron James level is really experiencing the same life situation?
No, my point is I guess you can be a penny short of being considered "middle class"

Damn, guess they missed it just by that much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 08-10-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No, my point is I guess you can be a penny short of being considered "middle class"

Damn, guess they missed it just by that much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Again... that's the striations argument which is perfectly valid. You're mixing here. Your previous claims have been that it's a fake construct with no meaning. That's patently false.

A great example, easy to understand is that solid middle class families have the means to provide for family members who did not succeed on their own for whatever reason. I have brought this point up many times. It is backed by lots of research.

When people go spouting off about "wait till it happens to you," that's because their experience in life is either lower-class or living on the razor's edge of middle class. Absent a cultural phenomena, I will never be homeless. That's a fact. I can provide the same for my children into their adulthood. That's the core of what the middle class provides.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Again... that's the striations argument which is perfectly valid. You're mixing here. Your previous claims have been that it's a fake construct with no meaning. That's patently false.

A great example, easy to understand is that solid middle class families have the means to provide for family members who did not succeed on their own for whatever reason. I have brought this point up many times. It is backed by lots of research.

When people go spouting off about "wait till it happens to you," that's because their experience in life is either lower-class or living on the razor's edge of middle class. Absent a cultural phenomena, I will never be homeless. That's a fact. I can provide the same for my children into their adulthood. That's the core of what the middle class provides.
Meh

Like I said, if it makes people feel better to call themselves middle class then so be it

As far as land goes, we own nothing outright, and that makes us serfs

Therefore the term is malarkey

If the govt wants you to give up that new house, they will make you do it

If you don't pay your property taxes (which you must do until further notice) they will take your house

So people can call themselves middle class as much as they want to, no skin off my back

Just recognize no one owns the land and they pay taxes, so in my eyes its modern serfdom

Old 08-10-2021, 08:59 AM

So why go to work? Go be the homeless guy with no responsibility who is exactly the same as me and you anyway.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: